Proboost ECU and emissions

s2ulk

Hi all,

FSI went in for its MOT today and although I know the garage it was going to are pretty rigorous on the MOT, I thought the FSI would sail through as it’s been running like a dream since all the remedial work last year and the Proboost ECU.

However it failed on emissions (and only that). The readings aren’t horrendous - CO2 should be under 0.2 and mine was 0.39. I will try Cataclean but has anybody on here with the Proboost ECU done an emissions check before and after fitting the ECU? I have read posts where owners with proboost have had no MOT emissions issues but I’m just wondering whether I should swap out the proboost, in combination with the Cataclean, before the re-check. The reason for my thinking is that the car comfortably passed on emissions last year before I installed the proboost but of course there may be no link particularly as it’s been 4000 miles and a year since then.

Thanks!

Personally do not even have an FSI, but would certainly say to either use Cataclean or ecomotive Clean Drive as both are very good products. I have personally used both on cars very successfully in the past. Preference is which ever you can obtain easiest. In either case follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter.

Personally do not even have an FSI, but would certainly say to either use Cataclean or ecomotive Clean Drive as both are very good products. I have personally used both on cars very successfully in the past. Preference is which ever you can obtain easiest. In either case follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter.
I’ve ordered a bottle of Cataclean already. In terms of the spirited drive that should then follow, any experience what that should be? A rev-tastic 15 min drive from Halfords to the MOT station and get them to test straight away? Or a few days of spirited driving between dosing and MOT?

Personally I have always used the product as recommended and once the tank was nearly empty refilled as normal and taken for a further 20 minute drive using the rev range. Do not just stick it in the tank and go for a MOT.
In essence the chemical is mixed into a small remaining quantity of fuel so the mixture is reasonably concentrated. Once the tank is nearly used up then refill. The remnants of the chemical will still be in the fuel system but by now are much more diluted but stiill doing a little good. By the second time you refill you will be running on plain fuel again.

Do not have a Cataclean to hand but here are the instructions on the Clean Drive....

How To Use

1 Check that you have at least 1/4 tank of fuel.
2 Add entire bottle of Clean Drive bottle into the fuel tank and drive as normal.
3 Wait for fuel warning light to come on before refuelling. After that refuel as normal.
4 For best results use Clean Drive once every 3000 miles.

Hi all,

FSI went in for its MOT today and although I know the garage it was going to are pretty rigorous on the MOT, I thought the FSI would sail through as it’s been running like a dream since all the remedial work last year and the Proboost ECU.

However it failed on emissions (and only that). The readings aren’t horrendous - CO2 should be under 0.2 and mine was 0.39. I will try Cataclean but has anybody on here with the Proboost ECU done an emissions check before and after fitting the ECU? I have read posts where owners with proboost have had no MOT emissions issues but I’m just wondering whether I should swap out the proboost, in combination with the Cataclean, before the re-check. The reason for my thinking is that the car comfortably passed on emissions last year before I installed the proboost but of course there may be no link particularly as it’s been 4000 miles and a year since then.

Thanks!
Just checking, your post says emissions failed on CO2, Carbon Dioxide; or was it CO, Carbon Monoxide?
Mac.

Do not have a Cataclean to hand but here are the instructions on the Clean Drive....

How To Use

1 Check that you have at least 1/4 tank of fuel.
2 Add entire bottle of Clean Drive bottle into the fuel tank and drive as normal.
3 Wait for fuel warning light to come on before refuelling. After that refuel as normal.
4 For best results use Clean Drive once every 3000 miles.
Thank you - very helpful!

Mine failed recently with similar readings on 2nd fast idle. Cataclean sorted it, a good spirited drive for 20 miles to get everything properly hot with the tester ready to go on arrival.

Best of luck

J

I’ve had two MOTs on the fsi, both with a proboost. No issues with emissions on either test and I get a printout of the emissions test.

I can also endorse Cataclean! Put it in this morning to 1/3 tank and then drove the A2 like I’d stolen it for about 20 minutes / 15 miles and went straight to the MOT station when they retested the emissions. Verdict: loads better! For the avoidance of doubt, I hadn’t swapped out the proboost ECU for the retest and so that definitely doesn’t worsen the emissions

Really happy your car has now passed its emissions. If you had let the Cataclean do its full cycle then the results could have been even better. As the product is not too expensive you could use it every year before the MOT as preventative maintenance.

As said Drive Clean will produce the same results and my local parts factor stocks it. Halfords on the other hand has closed its two branches nearest me.

Really happy your car has now passed its emissions. If you had let the Cataclean do its full cycle then the results could have been even better. As the product is not too expensive you could use it every year before the MOT as preventative maintenance.

As said Drive Clean will produce the same results and my local parts factor stocks it. Halfords on the other hand has closed its two branches nearest me.
I was amazed really by how much the reading dropped actually. Went from 0.39 yesterday to 0.12 today (0.2 is the legal limit). I have another bottle on the way from Amazon and, as you suggest, will add that before next year’s test.

I've just had my first MOT with the Pro Boost ECU fitted, and it sailed through emissions no problem at all. I haven't used any Cataclean (or other additive) in months, and didn't bother with an Italian tune-up beforehand either. This is in a car with 159000 miles. Values as follows:

Fast Idle:
CO = 0.01% (max 0.20%)
HC = 70 ppm (max 200 ppm)
Lambda = 1.001 (pass between 0.970 and 1.030)
Natural Idle:
CO = 0.02% (max 0.30%)

And just to show what an FSI, in good order, (no ProBoost, no Cataclean), running on V Power, can do:
PXL_20231023_160111847.jpg

Mac.

Back