Project A 1/2 (AKA “the trailer.”)

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
I have been holding off on posting a project thread, but as it is finally coming together I thought it is time to post the thread.

I had a bargain A2 that I spotted. It had been laid up for two years, had front end damage and a suspect coolant issue (later confirmed as a head / head gasket problem).
So definitely a “lost cause) as many of you know I have “rescued” lots of A2s up to now, but this was not a feasible rescue.

It did not have a great spec (apart from a red leather interior, sold to Sarge at a nice low price which made both of us happy).
I was then left with a few usable parts but nothing of any value so I was going to take off what I could (I am not in any state to strip cars any more due to age!)

So while looking at the shell I thought “I know what I could do, the front end was of no use but the back end was ok”.
So I decided to cut the car in half and make a trailer out of the rear half and throw the front half away.

Nice and light and with the roof, doors and tailgate left in place (and operational) it would be a very useful and practical trailer. Ok so being honest here, I have no use whatsoever for a trailer, it was just that it would be a crazy idea and should turn a few heads.

I contacted Kaz at Surrey Auto Works (SAW !)
I knew of his business and I bought some wheels from him (he also refurbs alloys and often has sets for sale) and when I visited him I saw the A2 pickup that he was building. So I decided to ask him to do the main construction.

I suggested the best place to cut it was just in front of the B pillar (to retain the strength) I figured out that I could cut the rear section of the front doors and use that to cosmetically “tidy up the shape”.
Kaz did a brilliant job and grafter on a steel A Frame (which I will be electrically insulating to prevent any reaction with the aluminium.)

I bought a new braked tow hitch and so the trailer soon became mobile.
During this time I managed to hear of a “Mega Spec” A2 TDI SE that had almost every possible extra including a TOW BAR!!!!!!

Better still the car was exactly the same paint code as the trailer!!! Sometimes things just slit into place.
I managed to temporarily wire in the A2 rear lights to the tow bar electrics and so it really does look and act like a normal A2 from behind.

I have taken it to my “paint and body guy” who is currently filling in the large hole caused by the cut.
So it will come back sealed and painted.

Timmus will then be working his “Electrickery” to ensure that the central locking and tailgate opening works on the trailer. He will also be installing a wireless rear view camera that I will have on when the ignition is on so that I can see what is behind me when driving (sincevthe rear view mirror in the car is of no use when the trailer is hitched on.

I have a pair of 17” sport alloys to go on the trailer to match the 18” ones on the car.
The interior will be sorted so that it has plenty of compartments under the flat floor.
The windows in the trailer will have the darkest tint possible (to hide the contents) and I am sure that I will be doing some other things to it too.
I must admit that when it is hitched up to the car it does look weirdly amazing.
Some pictures so far. (By the way, the wood panneling over the hole is being covered by Aluminium)

Steve B
D2A3A447-483E-4A03-BB4C-E4E9221B5619.jpeg

9EF3B1DA-8F96-470C-9D7C-D3CE682BF700.jpeg

221864CE-D854-4F5F-BCF2-A35F3BE29A88.jpeg

B32D5CBE-461C-425B-BEE5-23D37636CC7E.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! I've just thought ..... you could have taken some extra PASSENGERS in the trailer! LOL! It needs to sit absolutely horizontal when towed, doesn't it? (It looks tilted in your photo). In the usual "Steve Birchall" manner, I suspect that in a short time, your clever and stunning trailer is going to be advertised for sale at a substantial loss? LOL! I would love to see it at one of the A2 meet-ups, that's for sure! A great idea and a real "head-turner" Oh, just a thought ... if you fitted a window in the aluminium panelling that seals the hole, it would help rear vision considerably? .... well done, Steve!

David

Thanks David.
The trailer is more level than it looks. It was in uneven ground. But I want it to be perfectly level.
By the way, the two rear seats could be fitted and used. But illegal.

I even thought of grafting the trailer back on to the tow car to make a six seater “Limo”.
That would look even crazier and technically possible.

A window in the panelling would allow people to see what I have in the trailer. The wireless reversing camera kit was only £27 and as you know, I like gimmicks. The screen sits in a unit that would look tailored to the fake cover on top of the centre dash.

The first showing may well be at the Manor in July, that is close to home.

Steve B

Last edited:
Ha ha! This is amazing!

I had worried when you went quiet on it but it looks brilliant!

As always Sir, innovative and individual.

Ps. Do you have a link to the reversing kit? I’m a scared reverser and that’s a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cough, cough! that uneven ground cost a pretty penny :D

Seriously, looks decent. Do you still need a rear bumper?
I meant it has a slight slope there. Lol

Yes, I think it is better to swap the bumper and get it painted rather than trying to repair that hole. Let me know when you want it out of the way and how much.

I also think our Daughter would be interested in the faulty OSS (even more do if you fancy repairing it while it is out )happy to pay you of course,
Steve B

Maybe not for humans to travel in, but do you have dogs you could take on tour in it? If so, you could code name it the A24K9!

I meant it has a slight slope there. Lol

Yes, I think it is better to swap the bumper and get it painted rather than trying to repair that hole. Let me know when you want it out of the way and how much.

I also think our Daughter would be interested in the faulty OSS (even more do if you fancy repairing it while it is out )happy to pay you of course,
Steve B
Steve, the bumper could be available next week if you need it? I’m working on the OSS again this weekend and I plan to try and get the spare one working also. So there could be potential for a swap, but let’s see how this weekend pans out.

Ian

Steve, the bumper could be available next week if you need it? I’m working on the OSS again this weekend and I plan to try and get the spare one working also. So there could be potential for a swap, but let’s see how this weekend pans out.

Ian
Thanks Ian

Whatever works best for you. You have been a huge help so far and it is MUCH appreciated
Steve B

I have just thought of a photo-shoot opportunity! Your trailer being towed by the A2 pick-up, recently featured on the A2OC forum! Now isn't that truly amazing?

David

Yes,
Kaz from SAW has been involved with both and he did mention getting them together at one or to events to show off his handiwork.

I am not sure if he plans on fitting a tow bar to the pickup though. But worth thinking about.

Steve B

where are you going to put the triangular reflectors?

quite like the look, not so convinced on the drawbar, that's *really* short.

- Bret

I will have to check out the legal position. But it has I built reflectors in the standard rear lights. I will double check and fit additional ones if the law demands it.
The draw bar looks about the right length to me. It doesn’t bring the trailer close to the car when reversing. But again,I will check.

Thanks
Steve B

from a legal perspective, there's no requirement for a minimum drawbar length. But there's only 622mm of overhang at the rear and loading so the realtively low permissible nose weight is held is going to be interesting. IIRC it's 40kg... the general opinion seems to be that a longer drawbar makes for easier maneuvering and better high-speed stability. But it wasn't about that: the design is something I've not seen before which such significant angles involved. Again, we have requirements involving E-marked drawbars... I was wondering if there was a specific reasoning behind this. I don't get not using an off-the-shelf 30x30 and bolting it into place (which again is a legal requirement for me, should I want to do something like this, which I do).

For the weight bit you may well want to consider adding weight behind the rear bumper to keep the balance front / rear.

For the reflectors it's simple: a trailer always has triangular reflectors. No exceptions.

- Bret

It is 70Kg max nose weight, I checked that first.

That doesn't sound a lot but if the trailer is loaded correctly it is fine (as you say, some weight distribution will help).

I won't be moving bags of cement or bricks in it (In fact I am not sure that it will be used for anything much at all.

The design is all tailor made to natch the main box section positions on the A2, so that the whole thing has some strength, bearing in mind that the box sections are the only point of strength to attach the frame to, the rest is just sheet aluminium. So the "A" frame design matches that.

As for the triangular reflectors are you sure that is the law in the UK? I will do a bit more checking, thanks

Steve B

Back