Project Annie - Making an A2 Sicily Proof

gangitano85

A2OC Donor
Belgium
Project Annie

As the proud owner of a 2004 1.4 TDI (ATL), I have decided to start my own Project Post to keep you guys updated on the progress I am making. First of all, I am quite a technical noob, so don’t expect any crazy modifications. Also, I like to keep the car in its original condition, as much as possible, so I am not looking to retrofit any options apart from the heated mirrors and the false boot cover.

First of all, the good and the bad things about the car:

Good:

• given its age, I believe the car is in good condition. The bodywork is ok, with a number of scratches, only eyesore being the rear bumper which seems to have suffered under the previous owners
  • I have fitted a new climate control unit and light switch (both were quite worn – tried the stickers, but in my vanity I wasn’t happy with the result so went all in with the new units). The other switches have some marks, but I can live with them.
  • Mechanically, I believe the car to be OK, haven’t had any major issues so far in the three years that I have owned the car (and covered about 25,000 miles). MOT revealed no advisories back in December
  • I have fitted four steels wheels, as two of the original alloys had been damaged and been repaired by a charlatan. Bought a set of Continental Summer and Winter tyres, but looking to put Michelin Cross Climates on. Two reasons for that: swapping the tyres is quite costly, since I don’t have a set of dedicated wheels for the other tyres, and since the car will be moving to the mountainous Sicilian inland – where winter tyres are required from November to March – it just saves us the hassle. The steels wheels have retro Audi 80 covers, which look nice on the A2 in my opinion.
  • Fitted brand new LHD headlights which look incredible.

Bad:

• Loose and very dirty headlining, as well as this greasy layer of grime in the car. One of the previous owners was a smoker, unfortunately. New headliner fitted myself, not great but still an improvement on the original one.
  • Lumbar support not working for the driver’s seat Old Sport seats removed and replaces with SE ones.
  • Climate control occasionally going into tropical mode – motor gets stuck. Finally had enough when problem reemerged earlier this week, new motor ordered and a nice DIY project for a winter weekend :)
  • DIS reset button not working.
  • OSS not working properly – when retracting one side lags behind and gets all distorted
  • Annoying leak from the OSS between C and D pillar – tried cleaning all the drain channels, but water is still coming in, so currently the roof is all taped up with duct tape.
  • Car will need new suspension at some point. Rubber has gone on both rear shocks, and I might as well do the font as well, as I fear that there is a small leak in one of them.
  • Noisy starter engine – although car has always started without any problems
  • Third gear can be difficult to shift into – have been looking at doing the 6 gear conversion, but still not sure whether it’s worth it Both this and the previous issue will be sorted ones the new gearbox goes in in January.
  • Boot struts are nearing the end of their lives. Takes quite a bit of effort to open the boot, and the boot slams down like crazy when left to gravity.
  • Passenger door strap on its way out, so will need to be sorted at some point as well (door check strap ordered)

I will add some more pictures later today.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting a blog / project thread- there are too few of them on here!

Sounds like - if you're planning on sorting all of this before you take the car overseas - you need to prioritise the jobs. My take on the above:

You need to get @Kleynie to give the OSS a full strip-down / repair & upgrade birthday using the various components that can be used to ensure it's longevity, as that's definitely not something you'll be able to get done in Sicily!

Similarly, I would be tempted to take the car to a garage that knows A2s and have the rest sorted out (although you can change things such as the door check straps and boot struts yourself) - It's then all done and you can concentrate on getting yourself settled, rather than worrying about finding a good mechanic who won't jack the car in the wrong place and mess up your floor pans etc.!

Also I would urge you to consider getting a six speed gearbox installed. You have a choice of several gearboxes SEE HERE - It's not that expensive to do if you accept that the gearbox needs to be changed at some point anyway and you can find a good used box for cheap (getting easier to do all the time) and will sort your starter (since this will be changed) along with your issue in selecting gears - plus it makes the car so much nicer to drive long distances. Now is the time to replace the dual mass flywheel and clutch while it's all apart, unless the existing components don't have much mileage on them.

The other stuff is annoying but I think you can get these sorted as and when - including in Sicily if needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, it was more or less what I was thinking about doing myself. We won't be moving before September anyways, so I still have some time to sort most things out. Just hope the restriction will be lifted at some point, so I can start cracking on with the project.

Do you know when you're likely to be taking the car to Sicily? There's a possibility that I'll be in the South East before you depart, which would present an opportunity to sort some of the electrical items on your list, should you be looking for help.

Also, I like to keep the car in its original condition, as much as possible, so I am not looking to retrofit any options...
...have been looking at doing the 6 gear conversion
...apart from the heated mirrors and the false boot
We all have a different understanding of what represents a deviation from 'original'. A 6-speed gearbox was never available from factory. Some people would consider fitting one to be 'impure', whereas others would argue that it doesn't change the character of the car and just adds to the original specification and ethos of the A2. Cruise control was available from factory, but many A2s didn't have it fitted at factory. If it is added retrospectively to factory standard, does it count as a modification?
My own definition of what constitutes 'originality' vs 'modified' is along these lines. The RNS-E SatNav system fits perfectly in the A2's interior and looks like it could have been fitted at factory. However, it was never available at factory. If I looked through the window of a parked A2 and saw RNS-E SatNav, I'd know it had been fitted retrospectively. It's clearly a modification, albeit an elegant one. If I looked through the window of a parked A2 and spotted cruise control, or DIS, or Sport seats, or a 4-spoke SE multifunction steering wheel, for instance, I'd have no way of knowing whether that car left the factory with those options or whether they were added retrospectively. Retrofitted or otherwise, to my mind, they're original.
Of course, if the retrospective additions have been done to a poor standard, with total disregard for the factory methods of installation, then I can understand why someone might consider them 'impure' ...but that's reflective of the person who did the work rather than the optional extras per se.

Sorry, a bit of a thread swerve there caused by my stream of consciousness... :)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Do you know when you're likely to be taking the car to Sicily? There's a possibility that I'll be in the South East before you depart, which would present an opportunity to sort some of the electrical items on your list, should you be looking for help.

We all have a different understanding of what represents a deviation from 'original'. A 6-speed gearbox was never available from factory. Some people would consider fitting one to be 'impure', whereas others would argue that it doesn't change the character of the car and just adds to the original specification and ethos of the A2. Cruise control was available from factory, but many A2s didn't have it fitted at factory. If it is added retrospectively to factory standard, does it could as a modification?
My own definition of what constitutes 'originality' vs 'modified' is along these lines. The RNS-E SatNav system fits perfectly in the A2's interior and looks like it could have been fitted at factory. However, it was never available at factory. If I looked through the window of a parked A2 and saw RNS-E SatNav, I'd know it had been fitted retrospectively. It's clearly a modification, albeit an elegant one. If I looked through the window of a parked A2 and spotted cruise control, or DIS, or Sport seats, or a 4-spoke SE multifunction steering wheel, for instance, I'd have no way of knowing whether that car left the factory with those options or whether they were added retrospectively. Retrofitted or otherwise, to my mind, they're original.
Of course, if the retrospective additions have been done to a poor standard, with total disregard for the factory methods of installation, then I can understand why someone might consider them 'impure' ...but that's reflective of the person who did the work rather than the optional extras per se.

Sorry, a bit of a thread swerve there caused by my stream of consciousness... :)

Cheers,

Tom

I should have been a bit more specific there, sorry about that. I want to keep this particular A2 as it came out of the factory in terms of the interior and the options (with the few exeptions that I have mentioned). In terms of the mechanical parts, I am all for improving the car. I will need a new gearbox, clutch and flywheel at some point in the near future (car is about to reach 150,000 - all bits are still original) - so why not increase the comfort and fuel economy by putting in the 6-gear box.

That would be very helpful indeed. We are thinking about at least September at the moment. We already have the house, so we can go whenever we want - that is of course when we are allowed to. By all means, once you have a date set, just let me know :)

Thinking about it, cruise control would be a nice addition too :)

I should have been a bit more specific there, sorry about that.
Oh, no need to apologise. I'm just chasing ideas and exploring the various philosophies we all have with regards to such things. :)
...so why not increase the comfort and fuel economy by putting in the 6-gear box.
Why not increase the comfort and fuel economy by putting in cruise control? Having to keep my foot steady across Central Europe and down the leg of Italy sounds fairly uncomfortable to me. Cruise control also does a much better job of maintaining a steady speed than a human, meaning less accelerating to regain unintentionally lost speed, and thus greater fuel economy.
Of course, there's probably nothing wrong with your existing indicator stalk. Unlike your gearbox, which you'd like to refresh due to its mileage, there's probably no need to refresh the indicator stalk, so upgrading to cruise control is usually driven by pure desire rather than a 'might-as-well-while-I'm-there' thought process. Although it's a fairly inexpensive upgrade, it certainly wouldn't pay for itself with a single trip to Sicily, and often financial economy is a greater consideration than fuel economy.
My own A2 was the 2nd A2 to ever be upgraded to 6 speed. At this time, the MYP, PTW, etc, gearboxes didn't exist, so fitting a CNC-machined 6th gear to my existing 5-speed 'box was the only option. It cost about £1700 to do the complete upgrade. 9 years and 100,000 miles later, the fuel savings are still slowly paying me back! Maybe one day it'll have made financial sense, but the truth is that I wanted the advantages that it offers: the calm ride, the reduced engine wear, the increased fuel range/economy, etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Why not increase the comfort and fuel economy by putting in cruise control?

Indeed, I am seriously considering it. I always thought it would be expensive + too must hassle. In fact, the stalks are gradually starting to wear of the actual symbols, and my wiper stalk has a non-functioning reset button for the DIS - so that might be worth replacing as well.

That would be very helpful indeed. We are thinking about at least September at the moment. We already have the house, so we can go whenever we want - that is of course when we are allowed to. By all means, once you have a date set, just let me know :)
Ah yes, I see you've mentioned that in a previous post. We were clearly typing at the same time.
My trip to the South East is obviously dependent upon travel restrictions being lifted, so no dates have been set yet, but it's all within England rather than being across multiple international borders, so I'm confident (hopeful!) that it'll happen before your departure. I've fitted things like the second rear fog light more times than I've had hot dinners, and it won't take me very long to establish the cause of the DIS fault, and remedy it.

Thinking about it, cruise control would be a nice addition too :)
If we're in there to repair/replace the DIS controls anyway... :)

Cheers,

Tom

While we're at it, I might even be looking at changing the instrument cluster to a LHD one... Or maybe upgrade the DIS so I can have km/h clearly indicated (might be a cheaper option than doing the whole cluster I would think).

While we're at it, I might even be looking at changing the instrument cluster to a LHD one... Or maybe upgrade the DIS so I can have km/h clearly indicated (might be a cheaper option than doing the whole cluster I would think).
I can offer a few options with regards to getting the instrument cluster ready for life in a km/h country. Due to my work for the members of the Dutch and Italian A2 owners' clubs, I have stock of various LHD stuff.

One option is to upgrade to Colour DIS, as this allows you to quickly and easily change the display between mph and km/h, miles per gallon or litres/100km, etc. It is a more costly option, but also has a reliability advantage.
The original DIS screen degrades in the heat. As such, members of the Italian A2 club frequently have ruined DIS screens because they live in an oven for half the year.

Cheers,

Tom

I can offer a few options with regards to getting the instrument cluster ready for life in a km/h country. Due to my work for the members of the Dutch and Italian A2 owners' clubs, I have stock of various LHD stuff.

One option is to upgrade to Colour DIS, as this allows you to quickly and easily change the display between mph and km/h, miles per gallon or litres/100km, etc. It is a more costly option, but also has a reliability advantage.
The original DIS screen degrades in the heat. As such, members of the Italian A2 club frequently have ruined DIS screens because they live in an oven for half the year.

Cheers,

Tom

Indeed, mine is already starting to suffer from the heat-related problem on longer drives. What do you mean with more costly, are you allowed to discuss prices in this post or does it need to be a pm instead.

Indeed, mine is already starting to suffer from the heat-related problem on longer drives. What do you mean with more costly, are you allowed to discuss prices in this post or does it need to be a pm instead.
Yeah, if your existing cluster has already started to suffer heat fade, it won't last much longer once in Sicily.

I prefer not to discuss costs on the open forum, simply because prices change as time goes by. Brexit, for instance, has added to the cost of a few of the services that I offer, because I'm now having to pay import duties on parts that I order from Germany. Consequently, I prefer to conduct such conversations in private messages. I'm happy to switch this to a behind-the-scenes conversation rather than clogging up your project thread. :)

Cheers,

Tom

As promised, some pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 329
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 336
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 323
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 327
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 327
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 338
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 333
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 329
DSC_0016.JPG

Issue with the inner plastic liner in the boot. Wondering whether this might be the cause of the water leak. On the right you can see the damage it has caused to the headliner.

View attachment 78024
And this is where she will be off to... And for those of you who hadn't figured out my username :)
I made an attempt to reach the summit of Etna in October 2010, but had to turn back due to unexpected blizzard conditions (ultra-prominent mountains often create their own weather, which can be difficult to predict). It is, so far, the only major mountain that I’ve attempted to climb and not succeeded in reaching the summit. It’s on my list of ‘must climb’ mountains, so I’ll have to return to Sicily one day and attempt it again ...and again ...until I stand on its highest point (which moves around due to eruptions).

Whilst left unattended at its base, a criminal attempted to force the locks of the VW Polo that I was driving. Upon return to the car, I found that the edges of the doors were all bent outwards where a long screwdriver (or similar) had been used to try to open them.
Thankfully, they failed to gain entry to the car, so I didn’t lose my transport or all my stuff.

Cheers,

Tom

Back