Project Jag

herx

Palestine
Now that I got your attention, here's why "Jag"
IMG_20210417_142022.jpg
With the name out of the way, Jag came de-badged from factory. The first owner had a private plate on it (K2 AOP). It is the only car in our household and used mostly at weekends so have had 700 miles since November. So far, I've done small jobs but I want to do many more now the weather is getting better and get it in tip top condition for it's 20th birthday on the 25th of July.

Jobs done so far
  • glovebox switch & reconditioned wiper arm (thanks @depronman)
  • aero style Bosch AR70N
  • new cabin filter
  • new license plate lights (thanks @Kleynie for the pointer to ECP)
  • new genuine key buttons (thanks @Rickmeister)
  • upgraded to @depronman 's OSS motor mount
  • OSS repair plates
  • cruise control installed by @timmus
  • oil and oil filter changed
  • new boot gas struts
  • replaced wobbly passenger wing mirror (thanks @A2Steve )
Plenty of things yet to do, but not enough time. Thank you to everyone for contributing to this amazing resource this OC has evolved into.

Bonus pic - I can confirm the A2 can fit a 2.60m long scaffold board with a closed boot.
IMG_20210418_104411.jpg

Last edited:
Murphy's Law: the last screw will be stripped.

I was removing the driver's seat (passenger's removed fine as seen above) and the very last screw was stripped and could not get a grip. I stripped it even more in my attempts to use various tools (no clue how someone before me managed to tighten it that much!) so for now I accept defeat. Once I get my hands on my drill, I will use the extractor bits I have to remove it hopefully. Deep cleaned the interior minus the driver's seat area.

I was removing the driver's seat (passenger's removed fine as seen above) and the very last screw was stripped and could not get a grip. I stripped it even more in my attempts to use various tools (no clue how someone before me managed to tighten it that much!) so for now I accept defeat. Once I get my hands on my drill, I will use the extractor bits I have to remove it hopefully. Deep cleaned the interior minus the driver's seat area.
You do know it is a spline head bolt????

Andy

Oh yes, thanks to the forum actually, I got my Spline bit set a while ago, just for the A2 but the car had leather seats from factory and the previous owner swapped them out and the garage that did that appears to have ruined that one bolt sadly

But thanks for checking Andy!

Gave up (for now) on extracting the stripped bolt. The bolt is stronger than any of my bits. If anyone has any suggestion I am all ears.

Today I removed the roof lining following this guide and tomorrow I hope to be upgrading the OSS motor mount. While I am there, I will lubricate all the OSS seals and fully de-screen the roof.

IMG_20210501_141320.jpg

Gave up (for now) on extracting the stripped bolt. The bolt is stronger than any of my bits. If anyone has any suggestion I am all ears.

Today I removed the roof lining following this guide and tomorrow I hope to be upgrading the OSS motor mount. While I am there, I will lubricate all the OSS seals and fully de-screen the roof.

View attachment 79834
If possible you could weld a tool/rod/nut onto the offending bolt head or maybe chiesel it off (to undo not to shear off!)

Thanks for that, didn't cross my mind. Will see if I can find someone that does welding. I thought of cutting with my multitool say across the bolt so as to put a flat screwdriver, but I doubt my metal cutters will do anything to the bolt.

Thanks for that, didn't cross my mind. Will see if I can find someone that does welding. I thought of cutting with my multitool say across the bolt so as to put a flat screwdriver, but I doubt my metal cutters will do anything to the bolt.
Imagine it would be too tight for that, think most garages with a welder would sort it for a few beer tokens! Remember to disconnect battery mind!
Irwin do some fab bolt removers if you plan doing more diy might be worth a go at £20 half set £40 full set

Productive day today - @depronman 's motor mount #47 installed successfully onto project Jag
Before
IMG_20210502_123347.jpg
After
IMG_20210502_165448.jpg
I used my Bosch multi-tool with a metal cutter and save for some battle scars, the bronze tubes survived the surgery. Huge improvement in terms of the smoothness of the opening and closing of the roof.

On an unrelated note to the new motor mount, I also have the exact same symptoms detailed here which I am going to attempt and fix while the roof lining is off. The slack of the cables in my case presented after swapping the OSS motor with a 2-stage one so whoever is reading "if it ain't broke, do not fix it". On the other hand, it may have been a case that it would happen sooner or later, so I may as well fix it once and for all.

Productive day today - @depronman 's motor mount #47 installed successfully onto project Jag
Before
View attachment 79901
After
View attachment 79902
I used my Bosch multi-tool with a metal cutter and save for some battle scars, the bronze tubes survived the surgery. Huge improvement in terms of the smoothness of the opening and closing of the roof.

On an unrelated note to the new motor mount, I also have the exact same symptoms detailed here which I am going to attempt and fix while the roof lining is off. The slack of the cables in my case presented after swapping the OSS motor with a 2-stage one so whoever is reading "if it ain't broke, do not fix it". On the other hand, it may have been a case that it would happen sooner or later, so I may as well fix it once and for all.

Good job
Some what easier with the head lining removed than working through the light panel hole

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standing on the shoulders of giants aka this forum and https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/oss-the-german-way.41362/ I have as of last Saturday fixed the above cable slack using the "repair plates". Pictures or it didn't happen:

Both roof panels removed
IMG_7150.JPG

Repair plate on the left ready to be mounted on the drilled hole (out of focus in photo) highlighted in red circle
final.jpg

Combined with the motor mount described earlier the OSS should now be fine for the next 20 years.

Also, had cruise control installed today by (who else?!) @timmus - suffice to say that my return home was (the first of) the comfiest drives in my A2. Cannot thank @Proghound & @timmus enough.

To be continued...

Had the usual, historic scratches from old wiper arms and recently an accident with the wiper arm that slowly expanded

IMG_20210724_101230.jpg

New windscreen through my insurance, paid £100 (no, it's not an Audi one). Peter from Autoglaze was amazing, although this was his first A2 he had done many Audis before and he did an immaculate job.

IMG_20210724_110522.jpg

Impressive how much a new glass makes the car look like it's left the factory.

Changed brake shields or dust covers or call them what you will - no prize in guessing which ones were the old ones ha

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_202205.jpg
    IMG_20211104_202205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20211104_191127.jpg
    IMG_20211104_191127.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20211104_201616.jpg
    IMG_20211104_201616.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
My first MOT pass with JAG :cool:

Attachments

• 2021-11-06_08-51-22.jpg
    2021-11-06_08-51-22.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 2021-11-06_10-25-19.jpg
    2021-11-06_10-25-19.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 157

2022-05-02_07-33-21.jpg

Better late than never. Managed to get round removing the stripped bolt at last. I was motivated to replace my SE seats with my newly acquired Sport seats (thanks @RS11SMS for the idea:) so the solution was hammering in a 6mm hex bit which was a tight fit to get enough torque to release it. On this note, my gratitude also to @Jellybean for the replacement bolt 🙏

View attachment 94055
Better late than never. Managed to get round removing the stripped bolt at last. I was motivated to replace my SE seats with my newly acquired Sport seats (thanks @RS11SMS for the idea:) so the solution was hammering in a 6mm hex bit which was a tight fit to get enough torque to release it. On this note, my gratitude also to @Jellybean for the replacement bolt 🙏
I bet somebody has been using torx bits with these bolts, not saying you, they are not torx but spline.

Andy

View attachment 94055

So glad you got it out!

Enjoy the new seats 👌🏻

Back