Project Pat

mrbroons

Just starting a new thread here so I can update you on the progress with my new Piedmont Red 1.4TDi that I have recently purchased.

Here are some before photos, earlier today before I started work. It's a great project and lots of room for improvement.

So far today, we have had a wash, full clay bar and rinse and engine bay clean, no time for photo's as I had someone interested in my 1.4i. More photos tomorrow weather permitting!

I now have a few issues to resolve, but with a bit of luck and some help from you all I should be able to keep it on the road! Once I have it the way I want it and (sans towbar) it will be back up for sale, it should make someone a lovely chariot, loads and loads of life left in it!

1) Needs a new drivers door (kinked)
2) Drivers front tyre losing pressure
3) Wonky grille
4) various dings, scrapes and bangs - needs a lot of TLC!!
5) Anti shudder is doing the latter and not both
6) Could use a new windscreen
7) Drivers front headlight is loose
8) Needs a darn good clean!
9) It could use a service

Otherwise, what a beast. 194k miles, no service history or books, still runs, still drives. Plenty of power, A/C is blowing nice and cold, all the buttons work, the soft touch materials are in really good condition (so weird!). The leather is beautiful, will give it a clean feed and seal. The colour is amazing. Not tried the towbar yet, but will definitely give it a go tomorrow!

Signing off now.

It's all kicking off now!!

9dfa4d31328c6c460fa242b06c724f31.jpg

Regards

James

Firstly nice car !

I really like the black alloys on that colour, the leather interior is a plus and most importantly the benefits of having that tow bar :)

Since you car has done such a high mileage are you planning a timing belt change ?

Thanks

Firstly nice car !

I really like the black alloys on that colour, the leather interior is a plus and most importantly the benefits of having that tow bar :)

Since you car has done such a high mileage are you planning a timing belt change ?

Thanks
Thank you!

It will be lovely! The towbar will however not make the cut, it's likely to be removed and put onto one of my others. However I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this car and cheering it up a little. It's far too good to break for parts but I may have to sacrifice some of them to finance the repairs needed to the rest of it. Such as the multi function wheel. Ultimately it will be for sale when I'm happy I can do no more, in the mean time I'm going to try and learn as much as possible and create some videos for A2OC on my progress.

I have made some videos before but frankly they were AWFUL! So I will try again and see if they can be more useful and entertaining.

And to answer your question, I will be looking at the timing belt to asses it's condition. There may well be a replacement in the cars future but unlike every other car I've looked after I'll be doing this one myself if at all possible (and video ing the process)

It would be useful to know if there is anyone with any knowledge of the car?

Regards

James

Not my finest moments on camera but some snaps of what I did, I'll follow up with something properly done when I can get the IT upgrade completed!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-01 00.27.22.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-01 00.27.22.png
    612.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot 2019-08-01 00.26.54.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-01 00.26.54.png
    677.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
All important question then James, were the mounts welded in? Yes those bungs were covers but you'll probably know what i mean when i said if you look underneath, there was plastic covers in the way of those covers, so couldn't see them at all. Its a bigger job than it looks! Kudos to you sir

All important question then James, were the mounts welded in? Yes those bungs were covers but you'll probably know what i mean when i said if you look underneath, there was plastic covers in the way of those covers, so couldn't see them at all. Its a bigger job than it looks! Kudos to you sir
I'll hopefully get the footage up tonight which you can then see up under the bung. It's definitely getting done though, one way or the other!

Does anyone have a recommendation for the electrics. I'm thinking of using the Jaeger kit from Germany which is apparently plug and play into the tail light loom plus separate fused live but open to other suggestions.

Regards

James

To follow up on your point. The bracket is welded in and has the rubber grommet, this ties in with factory fit theory. The dealer/aftermarket kit uses pop rivets to hold the bracket into the car which are no-where to be seen. Now the question is..... can the welded in brackets be removed without compromising the car???

Work is now afoot to get some mounting brackets made up in addition to sourcing some from Audi, I never want to have this issue again. Given my addiction to tow-bars I'm guessing I will. Watch this space!

Out of interest James, , how did you remove the current ones? Was it a case of grinding them out then, or...?

Back