A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
9096AFFC-0A06-4C30-8F4B-4E6721AF1112.jpeg

0E95AB39-1D5C-4377-809C-8E2AA254FE68.jpeg
21636CC0-FCA1-466E-805A-1511C621D96F.jpeg
5F6862A7-CC13-4349-A764-912649F8AF73.jpeg

61FC00CF-BC08-4B4C-86A9-1C9E78486D55.jpeg

************************************************************Updated list of changes********************************************************

- BCB bottom end, (new timing kit, waterpump, death pipe and thermostat housing all changed).
- AUB head,
- AVY inlet and injectors,
- AVY 4 branch manifold
- Larger ignition leads
- Pipercross cold air feed
- AUA gearbox with new clutch and flyhweel (quicker to rev)
- Stance+ coilovers
- Adjustable drop links
- Audi A8 speedline 16 hole alloys on 205/50/16 tyres
- 20mm spacers at rear, 15mm spacers at front
- backbox deleted
- slatted service flap
- bonnet, 4 doors, tailgate, front bumper and rear arches swapped for better items
- stainless free-flowing exhaust and 200 cell sports cat.
- black dash swap
- 288mm brake

************************************************************************************************************************************************

It looks like I’ve inadvertently started another A2 build.

@2work offered me a nice early pine green 1.4 for a very reasonable price as it had just failed the MOT with a few issues.

At the same time a friend of mine @Hef offered me a pine green 1.4 as a breaker with great bodywork, but a rough engine and some electrical gremlins.

I’d initially advertised it as a spares repair when I was running out of space, but issues with my everyday car meant that I need to get this car on the road.

A plan started ticking, make one good car from the 2 and then sell it on.

The trouble with that was that the clutch was on its last legs and so any prep for selling it would require the fitment of a new clutch.

I personally hate changing the clutch on a car as there’s not a lot of room and it’s hard work without ramps.

As daft as it sounds, I’d sooner change a whole engine than a clutch in situ and seeing @celsisone mention that his tuned 1.6 engine was available I decided to go a bit more full on.

The engine is a Golf BCB block, with a Polo AUB head and sump, Polo GTI inlet manifold, throttle body and Polo GTI exhaust manifold. Brett believes it to be running around 135bhp so should see the car getting down the road nicely.

The cars now in my garage and I’ll hopefully be taking the original AUA engine out on Wednesday with the aim of starting to fit the BCB/AUB hybrid at the weekend.

While the engine is on the floor it makes sense to change the clutch with the ease of access so I’ve got a new Borg & Beck clutch kit on its way in the next few days.

There doesn’t seem to be any wiring changes needed to the loom bar the connectors on the injectors and so this should be a plug and play fitment. It’s been running in Brett’s own 1.4 for about 20k miles so should be good to go.

This conversion would allow 1.4 owners to have an A2 using oem parts that’s got an extra 60bhp over standard.

I’ll post one photos along the way,

Wish me luck.

Attachments

• C06AACAD-E2CC-41FC-8717-83EAC0C15B81.jpeg
    C06AACAD-E2CC-41FC-8717-83EAC0C15B81.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Evening Steve,

As David says above, really looking forward to reading about this one progressing through an engine transplant along with any exterior enhancements it may receive.

We all enjoy reading about the concept and your ideas followed by seeing the final masterpiece, which is usually in what seems such a short time period. You certainly put some hours in behind the scene to quickly reveal a tired A2 suddenly transformed into an awesome A2.

Good luck with this one and I’m so glad this A2 will see another MOT.

Kind regards,

Tom

View attachment 100956

It looks like I’ve inadvertently started another A2 build.

@2work offered me a nice early pine green 1.4 for a very reasonable price as it had just failed the MOT with a few issues.

At the same time a friend of mine @Hef offered me a pine green 1.4 as a breaker with great bodywork, but a rough engine and some electrical gremlins.

I’d initially advertised it as a spares repair when I was running out of space, but issues with my everyday car meant that I need to get this car on the road.

A plan started ticking, make one good car from the 2 and then sell it on.

The trouble with that was that the clutch was on its last legs and so any prep for selling it would require the fitment of a new clutch.

I personally hate changing the clutch on a car as there’s not a lot of room and it’s hard work without ramps.

As daft as it sounds, I’d sooner change a whole engine than a clutch in situ and seeing Celsisone mention that his tuned 1.6 engine was available I decided to go a bit more full on.

The engine is a Golf BCB block, with a Polo AUB head and sump, Polo GTI inlet manifold, throttle body and Polo GTI exhaust manifold. Brett believes it to be running around 135bhp so should see the car getting down the road nicely.

The cars now in my garage and I’ll hopefully be taking the original AUA engine out on Wednesday with the aim of starting to fit the BCB/AUB hybrid at the weekend.

While the engine is on the floor it makes sense to change the clutch with the ease of access so I’ve got a new Borg & Beck clutch kit on its way in the next few days.

There doesn’t seem to be any wiring changes needed to the loom bar the connectors on the injectors and so this should be a plug and play fitment. It’s been running in Brett’s own 1.4 for about 20k miles so should be good to go.

This conversion would allow 1.4 owners to have an A2 using oem parts that’s got an extra 60bhp over standard.

I’ll post one photos along the way,

Wish me luck.
Good on you Steve. As ever, looking forward to the results.

Thanks for the support guys. Often with projects like this you reach a point where you feel like throwing the towel in, parking the car up and forgetting about it, so having the support of others spurs you on.

The intention is to run the car on the AUB ECU as Brett did in his car. This allows the car to rev to around 6000 rpm rather than the 4800 of the standard AUA car.

Brett tried to code the AUB ecu to the car when he came down, but was unfortunately unable to.

After he left I tried to move the car with the existing AUA ecu in place and every warning light available came on and the car wouldn’t rev. I assumed a low battery but even after a full charge the situation was the same.

So both the AUA and AUB ecu along with the clocks went up to Timmus to see if Gizmo could work it’s magic and figure out what was going on.

Tom said that it appears that the AUB ecu and my original speedo are linked, but he is locked out of both, the same as Bret had found.

This was one of those moments where I thought of throwing in the towel. The mechanical side of changing the engine over doesn’t bother me in the slightest, but the electronics scare me completely. For a so called millennial I’m so backward with electronics that it’s embarrassing 😊

My only solution was to go about sorting it from a physical sense, so yesterday I swapped in the ECU, clocks and key fob from the breaker and the cars now running fine.

I’m going to initially see if I can get the new engine to run on the second AUA ecu, even if it works just enough to get the engine running and able to move under its own power. I suppose this will all depend on whether the AUA ecu has enough tolerance in its parameters to send the extra fuel the bigger engine will need.

I’ll then need to look for a replacement AUB ECU with pin and send these along with the new clocks back up to Tom to get the 2 coded.

If you are still with me, sorry if that was boring reading, but this clarifies the process for me when I read it back.

I’ve already swapped in a set of SE spec cream leathers from the breaker.

Once the car is up and running, it’s just the quick swap over of

- 3 doors
- bonnet
- front bumoer
- both rear arches
- nearside front arch

And then the bodywork will be looking ticketyboo too 👍

Once I know the engine is all good I’ll get the timing belt done and change the rocker cover gasket at the same time as there’s an oil leak from there at present.

That should see me into the new year where if I get on with the car, I can look to start some mods to the suspension and running gear.

Following this with great interest, Pine Green is my personal favorite A2 color and I’ll probably go forward with the 1.6 swap later on also (as we discussed earlier). Best of luck with the electrics!

Well one things for sure, it’s a lot slower doing things properly than doing it as a breaker.

Took a good 90 mins to get the front end off with removing it properly and labelling everything.

Good progress made though. Hopefully engine out on Wednesday.

936DFC2A-F3CC-4E8F-AA06-42932445BFED.jpeg
851B9004-FC63-411D-BBFA-A83CE53247B8.jpeg

Hi Steve great to meet you Thursday thanks for the tips on the up and coming front suspension build. 90 minutes is good going I think that would be a day job for anyone attempting it for the first time. Regards Max

Could you maybe show some similarities and differences between the engines before installing the 1.6? 😇

Well one things for sure, it’s a lot slower doing things properly than doing it as a breaker.

Took a good 90 mins to get the front end off with removing it properly and labelling everything.

Good progress made though. Hopefully engine out on Wednesday.

View attachment 100968View attachment 100969
It's nice to hear that, make us feel better as DIY mechanics. Front bumper fixings are an arse, no doubt you'll have two orthree left at the end too!

Back