Project PITA (Adolf)

As you may have seen from my "Hello" post I've gone from 0 to 2 A2's in a couple of months due to the good ladies Ford KrAp deciding it wants to return to the oxide state it came from.....
The first A2 I bought, an FSI turned out to be a bit of a nightmare and so got put in the corner of my yard, but now a decent A2 has been found as a replacement to the Ford I can turn my attention to the FSI............
As I don't like the FSI concept (it seems way over the top in complexity for results achieved) I'm going to chuck the system in the bin and replace with a much simpler 1.6 Golf BCB engine with BBZ cams, this should give about 110-120 bhp, so about the same as the FSI.
The conversion isn't simple..............nothing in life is easy but I do enjoy a technical challenge to keep the grey matter churning around............firstly engine management FSI=Bosch Motronic, BCB=Magnetti, so not even the same manufacturer to help ease the job.........then there's the immobilizer, "engine management to dash, engine management to dash...........can we start.............." as most people here know security is good, but when modding engine management its a right PITA. luckily my diagnostic gear includes the equipment to change immob codes.... but I don't expect it to play ball that easily, plan B in case it won't will be to simply remove the immob.
Next wiring, the good thing is the engine loom is separate to the body loom.........but there are more wires and an additional plug in the FSI loom than the BBY engine loom I plan to use so its going to be a case of cutting out the plugs and hard wiring the two looms together.........far easier than trying to repin the plugs as some of the pins are different sizes to their original positions and obviously extra work resoldering and possibly putting weak points into the wiring system..... OK I'll have a right pain if I ever need to change the engine loom...............but its not something you do everyday if ever.
The fuel system, this shouldn't be any problem as I'm using a Skoda BBZ inlet manifold with fuel feed and return, similar to the FSI, one slight mod will be a 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator (taken from a BMW) to increase power slightly, the FSI fuel pump is more than capable for this increase........simple crimped hose clips will replace jubilee clips for a more secure fixing.
Well there we go that's the plan...........the BCB engine is ready to go........im just waiting for some workshop space (and a little time) to begin....

While I've been waiting to get the car in the workshop I thought I'd do a little job on the dash converting from single din to double din so I can fit either an Audi radio/sat nav or an Alpine unit I've got in stock...........as luck would have it I have a couple of scrap yard/car breakers next to my unit and found an A2 in one had a double din dash............so out came the double din fitting ready for project PITA...............turns out I didn't need it............after having had a look at some of the projects on the forum I thought a simple mod of the existing dash would be simpler, and it was...........having taken the climate unit out of the scrap car it was a simple case of trimming the centre console so everything fits and making a couple of brackets..........far easier than the removal of the dash, and if anyone is considering fitting double din in my opinion a quick and efficient method even if some of the job seems to be damaging a good dash.......
I won't go into the details as there are some good instructions and pics here already.
It just takes a little nerve and patience......

Little update......wiring changes underway.....splicing a BBY engine loom to an FSI body loom is .......interesting.....
I've done most of the wires but now have a few loose ends to tie up........so its wiring diags soldering iron and hot fingers....
Pics to follow.

As I don't like the FSI concept (it seems way over the top in complexity for results achieved) I'm going to chuck the system in the bin and replace with a much simpler 1.6 Golf BCB engine with BBZ cams, this should give about 110-120 bhp, so about the same as the FSI.

Missed this originally, great ambitions. Looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Little update.....wiring is going well although car still not in the workshops due to long term work project taking longer than anticipated.......I've managed to splice the two looms together and found homes for most of the wires with just a couple of spares........lol...........but I know where they used to go and what they used to connect to.
I've got all the mechanical bits I need to do the conversion except a couple of lambda probes but the scrap yard will be handy for these as I'm not sure which ecu I'm going to use at the moment.
I've also been scouting around the VW Lupo and Polo forums looking at some of the tuned cars there, now the 1.6 FSI engine isn't too tuneable but there are a couple of supercharged 1.6 cars that use the same basic engine less the FSI system.................interesting..............

Hi Kernow,

How are you getting on with this project! I completely missed it the first time around! Which is a real shame as it’s an extremely similar project to mine, I’m converting from a 1.6fsi to a 1.6 avy, anyway I was wondering do you have any wiring diagrams for the 1.6fsi? And would you happen to have and combined diagrams from when you have made your custom loom?

OK so the engine is in and I've started connecting bits, the change from FSI to a basic 1.4 AUA/BBY type engine bay means a few items are now having to be changed or modified.
Fuel pipes, no problem just remove all the FSI pipework back to the bulkhead metal pipes and use hoses from a 1.4 to connect to the fuel rail, supply and return, I'm using a Polo GT/Fabia inlet manifold because it flows better.
Aircon, use the FSI aircon/alt bracket, its a straight swap onto the BCB cyl block.
Gearbox, use the FSI flywheel and clutch and the FSI gearbox bolts up to the BCB cyl block, the only mod needed is to drill the lower two mounting holes on the BCB sump (yes you can use it, mine came from a Golf), this allows the bolts to fix to the gearbox as per FSI.
Exhaust, at present I'm going to use the FSI manifold, downpipe/cat with the Nox sensor hole welded up, I'm going to try BCB Golf lambda sensors as a starting point as well as the second rear cat sensor, I may have to play with these to get good emission figures but with a couple of scrap yards near me I've got plenty of choice (it may also be ECU dependant as I'm going to try both 1.6 BCB and 1.4 BBZ units).
Cooling system, I'm going off piste here and changing the flow direction through the radiator two reasons for this, 1, ease of plumbing due to removing the complex FSI cooling pipework 2, Ease of altering the cooling system operation fan switch/control, the FSI uses the ECU to control the thermostat and fan control unit, I'm going to use the lower radiator outlet switch to control the fan unit and so want the fan to cut in when the radiator is full of hot water not just the lower hose before it enters the radiator.
The wiring loom fits as per the AUA/BBY with a couple of modified brackets to suit my personal taste/safety concerns, all sensors coils etc etc are as the 1.4 engine cars.
More to follow as I get it done.

Last edited:
one word...wow!
Fair play, I am following this as merely an appreciation of what people can do to these little beauties...I doff my cap to you sir!

Little update while waiting to get back in the workshops.....fitted cruise stalk, still have to connect the wiring but not too difficult, have used a Golf wiring plug as they're a lot cheaper than the A2 loom and as my labour is about the same rate as Ed China's think its worth a few mins with the soldering iron to join to my already adjusted (butchered...lol..) loom.
As I'm using a 65mm throttle valve its handy having the local scrappys to help find things such as air trunking and hoses to help keep an O/E look....one thing I didn't want is for the car to look like a modified boy racers nightmare.

Air trunking sorted....Vauxhall to the rescue....but looks Audish....
Most of the electrics are now connected extra little bit of loom added for the A/C....... top tip here...... if you're going to change from FSI to "normal" injection buy a loom from the same spec AUB/BBY car as yours eg climate or non climate .....they are different.......your still going to have to splice it to the car loom but it means less head scratching.
One thing I can tell everyone is that if you want a brisk A2 don't buy an FSI....... start with either a 1.4 sport (rear discs, nice sports seats, etc) or a 1.4 with the options that suit you, then add a 1.6 bottom end with AUB/BBZ cams, injectors, inlet manifold, etc etc its a lot simpler...........and you'll end up with about the same power as an FSI but without the worry..

Sad to say I'm giving up with this project.................its turning into a never ending list of things to sort and to be honest its going to be easier to buy a 1.4 and transfer all my sport parts to it and then throw in the 1.6 motor, plus I've got some other much more desirable cars that need my attention .............I'm of the opinion that unless you can justify hours and hours and have deep pockets the FSI once its gone wrong is a complete money pit and not worth the effort to try and repair.
On the bright side anyone with a good one could possibly be sitting on a gold mine in the distant future.....just wrap it in cotton wool and put it into storage...........it might be a valuable classic in years to come and seeing the number falling by the wayside there wont be many left in the future..........

Sad to say I'm giving up with this project.................its turning into a never ending list of things to sort and to be honest its going to be easier to buy a 1.4 and transfer all my sport parts to it and then throw in the 1.6 motor, plus I've got some other much more desirable cars that need my attention .............I'm of the opinion that unless you can justify hours and hours and have deep pockets the FSI once its gone wrong is a complete money pit and not worth the effort to try and repair.
On the bright side anyone with a good one could possibly be sitting on a gold mine in the distant future.....just wrap it in cotton wool and put it into storage...........it might be a valuable classic in years to come and seeing the number falling by the wayside there wont be many left in the future..........

What was the nail in the coffin? The complications of the loom? I’m just finishing mine and because I started with a damaged loom (interior plugs missing) I think by the time I’m finished will be 100 - 150 connections.

PS these things saved me!

Also if you want any input or questions about the fsi wiring I have been studying and documenting every inch every evening for the past 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the nail in the coffin? The complications of the loom? I’m just finishing mine and because I started with a damaged loom (interior plugs missing) I think by the time I’m finished will be 100 - 150 connections.

PS these things saved me!

Also if you want any input or questions about the fsi wiring I have been studying and documenting every inch every evening for the past 2 weeks.

I just cant justify the time to get basically a modified A2.....its easier to just get a basic 1.4 car and go from there, its also a lot quicker, the time I've spent so far would have resulted in a finished 1.4 /1.6 car with all my sport parts just swapped over.
To a certain extent I'm also a little bored of the car................. its been a pain in the a*** since I bought it............its not going to be a financial success either (not that it was done to make any money, I'm lucky to be able to throw some money at it and not worry).....so its time to stop.

I just cant justify the time to get basically a modified A2.....its easier to just get a basic 1.4 car and go from there, its also a lot quicker, the time I've spent so far would have resulted in a finished 1.4 /1.6 car with all my sport parts just swapped over.
To a certain extent I'm also a little bored of the car................. its been a pain in the a*** since I bought it............its not going to be a financial success either (not that it was done to make any money, I'm lucky to be able to throw some money at it and not worry).....so its time to stop.

You could just put a 1.4 loom in and modify where it meets the body. Apart form the wiring to the engine and exhaust it’s the same as the 1.4

You could just put a 1.4 loom in and modify where it meets the body. Apart form the wiring to the engine and exhaust it’s the same as the 1.4

That's even more work.......you've got to gut the car to change the body loom...........body loom in an FSI is different to 1.4 and some control units different also.....have you seen the FSI engine loom connections to the air bag, heater, cooling system etc.........I've managed to splice the BBY loom to the FSI body loom with just a couple of wires to sort but just feel its taking too much effort to gain very little over a 1.4 car with a 1.6 (modified) engine......

That's even more work.......you've got to gut the car to change the body loom...........body loom in an FSI is different to 1.4 and some control units different also.....have you seen the FSI engine loom connections to the air bag, heater, cooling system etc.........I've managed to splice the BBY loom to the FSI body loom with just a couple of wires to sort but just feel its taking too much effort to gain very little over a 1.4 car with a 1.6 (modified) engine......

No I mean put in a 1.4 bby engine loom in an splice to the interior loom. As fsi loom needs changing engine side.

No I mean put in a 1.4 bby engine loom in an splice to the interior loom. As fsi loom needs changing engine side.

FsI engine loom has crash signal but doesn’t have airbag on it. It has wiring to air con compressor, but I can’t see any for a heater?

FsI engine loom has crash signal but doesn’t have airbag on it. It has wiring to air con compressor, but I can’t see any for a heater?

Yeh I am using a bby loom and splicing it to the fsi one its all in and I've tried to get the canbus up to set immo and dash.........no luck and warning from program as to not finding controller even though all canbus wire connected correctly.............

Back