'Projects' section of the site?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Despite being a member for almost a year now I've only recently started using the site a lot so I'm not sure if I'm overstepping the boundry by suggesting this.

I've been a member on a number of forums in the past and all of them have had a section for peoples projects. It is an opportunity for people to have their own thread giving updates or an historical chronology of their journey with their pride and joy. These threads have always been popular on other forums and I know personally I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Is this something that has ever been considered by the mods in the past or something they would consider?

Would love to know peoples opinions.

Thanks

Steve

I'm sort of doing that at the moment but under general. Wish I would of done it 3yrs ago. There are so many members cars on here that I would of loved to follow their progress from start to finish.

I'm sort of doing that at the moment but under general. Wish I would of done it 3yrs ago. There are so many members cars on here that I would of loved to follow their progress from start to finish.

I had noticed you sort of had one :) have been keenly following.

I have posted a thread like this but in the general sections. So yes I would like to see a "projects" section.

I am just about to get my project in the next two weeks and Tom (Timmus) has been very busy retrofitting almost every option (especially anything electrically related).

So I would start a thread if the section opens, but I would post one on the general section if it doesn't.

So a good idea and no need to apologise for proposing changes. If they are good ideas they can often be accommodated. If they are bad ideas I am sure that the mods are not shy and would say no !!!

You have been contributing to many posts recently and your input is appreciated (by me certainly and probably by every one else)

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks for that Steve :) eagerly awaiting your project page however it comes about. Just my 2p worth but I think white is the way forward for yours.

Thanks for that Steve :) eagerly awaiting your project page however it comes about. Just my 2p worth but I think white is the way forward for yours.

You may be right about the colour, I will soon make up my mind between Black or White (it has to be one or the other).

Vonnie is taking her white A2 to the event on the 5th so I will get chance to see what it looks like and then I will make my decision.

I REALLY like black, BUT there are many black A2s (all looking really good) so, for a special project I really should choose another colour and white could be right (I am a poet and didn't know it !)

So May 5th is decision day!!!

If it is going to be white then the wheels are going to be more important.

I have the wheels in progress for the car if it was going to be black! They are the 18" version of the 9 spoke sport alloys, they would look GREAT on a black A2 (ok don't mention the ride quality!!! It is not as bad as you would imagine, firm but totally usable!!!)
On a white car I would have to see how they would look!!! I might have to change them, we will see.

Steve b

Last edited:
Yes, good idea and thanks for the feedback. We'll wait for a bit more discussion on this, however there's no issue with opening another sub forum entitled 'projects' - it'd be a good help though for members to identify threads on the forum to be moved to this proposed section.

As a starter I think Sarge's shoby car story would be a headline! :cool: But I'm sure there will be a variety of equally worthy contendors.

Is this idea fundamentally like a 'members cars' type forum where ideas/mods/builds can be documented and discussed? Just trying to get my head round it properly, as Ben's mantra ( our web guru) has always been to keep the forums as simple as possible without adding too much for the sake of it. I'm not dismissing the idea at all, just need to be clear on where we source the information to post in this new section.

Cheers, M

Is this idea fundamentally like a 'members cars' type forum where ideas/mods/builds can be documented and discussed? Just trying to get my head round it properly, as Ben's mantra ( our web guru) has always been to keep the forums as simple as possible without adding too much for the sake of it. I'm not dismissing the idea at all, just need to be clear on where we source the information to post in this new section.

Cheers, M

Yes that was the idea behind it. There are so many lovely A2's on the site and it would be great to follow the progress of their modifications etc. It would primarily be for members to post up what they are currently doing to their cars and future plans but it would also be great to see photos of the work they have done so far. An opportunity for members to 'show off' their cars so to speak.

Last edited:
as Ben's mantra ( our web guru) has always been to keep the forums as simple as possible without adding too much for the sake of it. I'm not dismissing the idea at all, just need to be clear on where we source the information to post in this new section.

Cheers, M

If there are concerns about the section making things too cluttered, there are a few areas of the site (towards the bottom of the forum) that havn't seen new posts for almost 3 years. Perhaps these could be re-considered.

If there are concerns about the section making things too cluttered, there are a few areas of the site (towards the bottom of the forum) that havn't seen new posts for almost 3 years. Perhaps these could be re-considered.

There are forums in the archive section which aren't visible to the membership that haven't been used in 10 years. The important thing is that all posting remains available on the database. I couldnt see the public forums you speak of which are dormant for over 3 years but to archive these takes some work as we'd need to assure we arent hiding good information.
The concern isn't making things cluttered it's the opening of new sections without due condideration - however in this case it's an excellent suggestion so I'll open this within the main section of the forum.

That's great news, Steve B your up first :)

Update on this - my skills on the admin panel aren't up to scratch to start a new forum :eek: - so Ben who will take care of this. Bit of patience and those who wish to can soon 'project' away to your hearts content ;)

Look forward to revisiting old threads and see some new ones. Please let us know if you stumble on anything that's worthy of moving into this folder.

Update on this - my skills on the admin panel aren't up to scratch to start a new forum :eek: - so Ben who will take care of this. Bit of patience and those who wish to can soon 'project' away to your hearts content ;)

Look forward to revisiting old threads and see some new ones. Please let us know if you stumble on anything that's worthy of moving into this folder.

Hi Murdo,

Thanks for that, I will start one for my project when the section is available.

I am not sure if it would be best to just keep it for project cars only? If it is used for "owner's cars" as well, it might get a bit busy, chaotic?

I thought the idea was to help others see what can be done and how, as well as the stories behind the projects (as in Sarge's story).

I hope I am not seeming to ask for special treatment, that is not the case, but if we are adding sections they need to be quite specific or the forum will just spread?

Just my view and happy for it to be challenged.

Steve B

Great news that this is happening murdo.

I partly agree with you Steve, there is no point in the project section being filled with members 'standard' A2's but at the same time there are plenty of members who have already created their perfect A2 and it would be a shame if they weren't able to showcase those cars because they arn't current projects.

Great news that this is happening murdo.

I partly agree with you Steve, there is no point in the project section being filled with members 'standard' A2's but at the same time there are plenty of members who have already created their perfect A2 and it would be a shame if they weren't able to showcase those cars because they arn't current projects.

I completely agree, I did even say that Sarge's was one perfect example for the new section, I never intended to mean current projects only!
A project that has been completed is just as interesting as one that is just starting, perhaps even more so, because it is interesting to hear how the car is running still, whether the mods were worth it (in hindsight) and whether more are planned!!.

So we are both totally in tune!!

Steve B

This sounds like a great idea gentlemen. :)
it would make it easier to locate "projects" and follow up along with an opportunity to give current and potential A2 seekers an insight to potential Mods for their own cars and most importantly as mentioned above where they are now and how their pride & joy is running.

i used to spend hours in the projects section of my old owners club, may even start my own although i don,t throw as much money at cars nowadays.
great idea;)

Back