Proposed: Definitive A2 servicing thread …

andrewparkeruk

A2OC Donor
Based on my recent experience of having the cambelt changed for the third time on my TDI 90 (ATL), only then find that I should probably have had the oil pump chain and tensioner done at the same time

I wonder if there will be value for all to attempt to pull together the servicing information which either already exists on the forum, or is in peoples’ unwritten experiences.
I am thinking about items which are not included in the manufacturer’s service schedule, presumably which the manufacturer did not expect to fail in the typical lifetime of the car. Also for those who have experienced component failure, to perhaps share the age and mileage at which that occurred.

An example would be suspension arms: mine are still original and I following the advice on this forum, I ask for them to be checked every time the car is serviced.

I don’t have any mechanical knowledge, but I am willing to maintain a thread in the same way that the “definitive wheel tyre” thread is ... definitive.

It could be divided structured:
  • Common to all (non 1.2) A2s
  • Common to all diesel A2s
  • Common to all petrol A2s
  • Specific to TDI 90 (ATL)
  • Specific to TDI 75 (AMF)
et cetera

Is it worth try, and would that format work?

Andrew

Good idea - it IS in the forum in most cases in the how-to sections but not structured in such a way that someone without enough dedicated mechanical knowledge would know.

Its an interesting topic and one which may not get universally loved - when I bought my car last year would have helped me for sure. As these cars get to an age that means standard servicing just doesnt cut it anymore the knowledge and experiences of our members is a massive plus IMO.

It is an excellent idea, unfortunately the time involved in collating all the information and tips for just one variant would take a long time then multiplied by other variants...Perhaps a Moderator could, with the help of the site programmers set up pages that link to as relevant topics as is possible in existing threads and how tos? I have tried the search option myself but either had too many hits or not specific enough. Nice idea, would be really helpful in addition to the how to section. Any programmers out there with the knowledge, ability and time available to do this?

Last edited:
Hmm, plenty of forums seem to generate tags. I’m not sure if the forum software on which this site is hosted can do that and it is disabled. Tags could make searching simpler.

For those who aren’t aware, it is possible to use a search engine to search for short phrases on this site, the syntax is:
“Whatever you want to search for” site:www.a2oc.net/community

so to search for the expression “tdi90”, which is too short a phrase for the inbuilt search facility, type the following into your search engine:
tdi90 site:www.a2oc.net/community

A few people had suggested this before. There are a couple of forums which use a Wikipedia type format which anyone can update as interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back