Query about affects of wind deflectors on mpg

riverlad

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how wind deflectors effected mpg. I understand if you turn off your air conditioning you will improve your mpg. But if you open your windows, with the added drag you decrease your mpg again.

So i was wondering if you fit wind deflectors and have your windows open will you increase your mpg again?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers

David

I've been pondering this exact same thing, been hesitating over wind defleftors myself so really hope someone can give a definative answer.

I would imagine they'd kill som MPG at motorway speeds at least(I don't do much of that though).

... I understand if you turn off your air conditioning you will improve your mpg. But if you open your windows, with the added drag you decrease your mpg again.

Why not turn off the A/C compressor ('econ'), but turn up the fans instead?

Still no answer to this one?

I do try to use the fans(e-con) where possible, but my wife especially much prefers windows open, or air-con.

Still no answer to this one?

I do try to use the fans(e-con) where possible, but my wife especially much prefers windows open, or air-con.

Yes they do! A study by an American company making the shields found most drivers found a 1 or 2 mpg improvement using their own
Wind deflectors. One person in the test made a 4 mpg improvement but most one or two...

I found the info at an American site expert123 via a google search.

vanstyle sell wind deflectors. Their custom fit blinds are brilliant!

James

Thank you James.

That is good to know, as I have just fitted heko wind deflectors:D

Cheers

David

Cheers Chris.

That makes sence, i surpose you would not want windows open on the motorway. Just to noisy. At those speeds.

When I was talking to Jeff mustang-owner earlier he also said about the compressor still running in "econ" mode.

They look good so that's one thing:D

Cheers

David

Cheers Chris.

That makes sence, i surpose you would not want windows open on the motorway. Just to noisy. At those speeds.

When I was talking to Jeff mustang-owner earlier he also said about the compressor still running in "econ" mode.

They look good so that's one thing:D

Care to share a pic or two fitted?:)

Did you buy from ebay(£30 ish delivered)?

I seem to remember that even with 'econ' selected the compressor still turns on the A2 so there is zero benefit from an economy perspective.

If the compressor still runs with 'econ' turned on, what is the point of the 'econ' button? Does it actually do anything?

Has anyone tried running vagcom on idle with the button on & off to see if there is a difference in fuel delivery?

First thing I did was clean out the window channel with White spirit. Then used a lint free cloth to wipe them after. It was surprising how much dirt came off :eek:
The deflectors have a thin lip which slips into the window channel. There is double sided tape pre attached to the defector. I removed the top cover off the tape. Then slotted into place and shut the windows. You are meant to leave them for a hour but left overnight to be sure.
They fitted perfectly with no problembs :D
How did you fit these? Did it require gluing or is it moulded to shape?
when talking to mustang-owner he said that it just runs on tick over. Apparently when a/c not used for a while I think jeff said that the seals can fail. So this way with it running it stops that happening. I think it uses min amount of fuel.
If the compressor still runs with 'econ' turned on, what is the point of the 'econ' button? Does it actually do anything?

Has anyone tried running vagcom on idle with the button on & off to see if there is a difference in fuel delivery?

Cheers

David

Deflector blind spot

Hi Guys, When I had my tdi new in 2002 I fitted 4 climair deflectors which were brill at cutting the dreaded boom and looked fab, but made the blind spot even worse. (They were very dark) I am now trying to find a set of 4 (I think it looks odd with only fronts) with only a slight tint. Anyone got any suggestions? In the meantime I will have to carry on reaching behind (no elec rears) to open a window a crack to stop the boom. Regards Colin

Hi Guys, When I had my tdi new in 2002 I fitted 4 climair deflectors which were brill at cutting the dreaded boom and looked fab, but made the blind spot even worse. (They were very dark) I am now trying to find a set of 4 (I think it looks odd with only fronts) with only a slight tint. Anyone got any suggestions? In the meantime I will have to carry on reaching behind (no elec rears) to open a window a crack to stop the boom. Regards Colin

Hi Colin, I fitted Heko deflectors about 3 weeks ago. They are brill, little bit flimsy when fitting them but all in all great. I used a silicone spray in the channels before doing the windows up and left overnight. Got mine on Ebay mate: 190372673165

Good luck.

Cheers

Mark

It isolates the diesel/ electric cabin heater in winter too.

The compressor pulley is still turned but I'm pretty sure there is an in-built clutch in the compressor where it is disengaged with econ. I need to give it much more rev to get going when AC is on full power. I also have the low torque petrol engine, which the driver can really tell the difference between AC on low or full power.

It also depends if AC vs windows comparison is in a hot country. In the UK, I don't need as much AC as I did when living in California. Any gain of mpg using windows deflector because you can switch AC off would have to be because the amount of constant cooling was greater than the increased aero drag created by the wind deflector.

Besides, I didn't buy an A2 because I wanted to open the windows and have all the noise and black smoke from the diesel exhaust in front of me. I bought it because I believe Audi made a car that i can enjoy the comfort of AC and other luxuries while still getting good mpg! Otherwise, I would have bought a polo without A/C and strip everything out!

Care to share a pic or two fitted?:)

Did you buy from ebay(£30 ish delivered)?

If you go on my profile then look at my pics i posted some on there when i fitted my Heko's got some from the inside looking out.

@Chris i'm with Humps the pulley spins but the compressors not on, when you sit at idle then put ac on you see your rev's move as it kicks in

Phil

Re deflectors

Thanks for info Mark, have looked at GR's pics and they look fairly dark but will give them a try. Cheers Colin

From the outside they do(dark that is) but from the inside of the car they only look like a light tint (in the flesh so to speak ;))

Phil

Ive funnily enough fitted a set of 4 team hieko wind deflectors this weekend (have some on the civic type r i also own) and they were the first thing i looked for when i got the A2...

couple of things ive 'learnt' living with wind deflectors... never just use the double sided they provided add some more and cover the entire lip with double sided (they do tend to work a bit loose after time more tape = more stickyness!)

on the a2 took a while to get them to the exact right place... when i was fitting the fronts the windows kept coming back down when i put them up to the top (as if there was something trapped between window and frame)

and i know they dont drop down but its a shame they dont do some for the '3rd' window at the back just to help the look when you have them on the other windows

Back