Radio reception issues [SOLVED]

Richard_S

Been trawling through the site but not finding the thread that might deal with this, so wondered if anyone can help?

Wife's A2 2003 with aftermarket double din radio, which has been in there for a while and working fine, apart from FM radio reception, which comes in and out on R4. The head unit has an in-line power adaptor for the aerial, which I have swapped out for a new one, but still no luck on the reception.

Seems to me that there is something going on with the original aerial.

What would be the simplest way to remedy the poor reception? New aftermarket windscreen aerial, or are there things that I can check in the car itself? I realise that the original aerial is part of the rear window, but that pretty much is to sum total of my knowledge on this!

any help either pointing me to other threads or thoughts much appreciated.

The original radio would have had the antenna lead (FM/AM) plugged straight in, no inline power adapter. The electronic associated with the antenna are powered direct. So, I'm wondering why there is one fitted with the aftermarket radio. Suggest removing the inline thingy, and plugging the antenna lead direct to the socket in the new radio.
I'm not the oracle on A2 audio, but sounds logical to me (well it would, wouldn't it).

ah, ok, thought that aftermarkets needed power as the original head had this in-built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah, ok, thought that aftermarkets needed power as the original head had this in-built?

They do as a rule, unless they have the option built in, which from my experience, is very unusual to say the least. Check that the adaptor is actually receiving power. If so, you have two faulty adaptors or a poor contact from the screen.

RAB

adaptor receiving power, so my guess is an issue somewhere between the rear window and the head unit...

is there a good place to start on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your rear screen heater work? That doubles as the aerial! If it doesn't then that's why the aerial doesn't work. If it does, I would check the connections between the screen and the cable. Unfortunately, that means taking the hatch apart.

RAB

The Chorus II, in my TT is the same as the A2, circuit wise (as is the Concert). There is no power output via the antenna lead (the antenna amp is powered direct). That's why I'm querying the need for an inline adapter. There are many applications where antenna amp power is required via the antenna cable, but, to the best of my knowledge, the A2 is not one of them. Just try plugging the lead in, with no adapter, 5 mins, and nothing to loose.
Mac.

I once had an A2 with dreadful FM reception and as a last resort I was checking the connections in the battery compartment (the ones behind the empty rectangular open ended box. It suddenly sprung into life.
Just jiggling the connectors showed that it was a poor connection in there.
It is worth checking these.
Steve B

This is what you need and it explains why:

The Pure FM radio in my A2 won't work without one.

RAB

The antenna amp needs power, which, in the OEM setup, comes from the the radio, but not via the antenna cable. The Concert/Chorus units provide this via the ISO connectors. Maybe your Pure doesn't, or, more likely, the adapter is not correct. Audi have a different interpretation of switched 12 volts and grnd than most other brands. If the original radio worked, then the antenna signal, and therefore it's amp, must be working (ie powered) surely? If an add on amp is required to make the aftermarket radio work, then, it seems to me, no supply to the OEM amp is the likely problem.
I could, if course be talking absolute rubbish!

I have such a problem ...:(

Attachments

• 20191004152135.jpg
    20191004152135.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 379
  • 20191004152157.jpg
    20191004152157.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 359
OK, much bigger issue....Opening the boot to look at the electrical "stuff" only to find that the whole battery compartment/wheel repair section was full to the brim of water....but just below the battery terminals. Have no idea where all this water has come from, as the boot carpet itself is dry. Time to start another thread....

Does your rear screen heater work? That doubles as the aerial! If it doesn't then that's why the aerial doesn't work. If it does, I would check the connections between the screen and the cable. Unfortunately, that means taking the hatch apart.

RAB
Apart from the water in my boot, not sure how I am going to tell if it's working. I need some frost! If I do have to take the hatch apart, is there a "how to" anywhere on the forum?

The antenna amp needs power, which, in the OEM setup, comes from the the radio, but not via the antenna cable. The Concert/Chorus units provide this via the ISO connectors. Maybe your Pure doesn't, or, more likely, the adapter is not correct. Audi have a different interpretation of switched 12 volts and grnd than most other brands. If the original radio worked, then the antenna signal, and therefore it's amp, must be working (ie powered) surely? If an add on amp is required to make the aftermarket radio work, then, it seems to me, no supply to the OEM amp is the likely problem.
I could, if course be talking absolute rubbish!
The adaptor indicated is for the aerial connection. There is no switched power source on my A2; I have to turn the radio on (and off) manually. I bought the A2 with a JVC FM radio fitted with the required adaptor. This has been replaced with a Pure DAB radio which also requires the adaptor for FM.

RAB

The water gets in from the hidden vents behind the rear bumper. They need to be sealed / replaced to cure the “Aquarium issue”
Steve B

The adaptor indicated is for the aerial connection. There is no switched power source on my A2; I have to turn the radio on (and off) manually. I bought the A2 with a JVC FM radio fitted with the required adaptor. This has been replaced with a Pure DAB radio which also requires the adaptor for FM.

RAB
The switched 12 volts would have come from the OEM radio. Most (if not all) aftermarket radios also have a switched 12 volts output (for antenna amp, rear audio amp control etc).
I think most A2 are canbus, and the OEM radio only had a permanent 12 volts, with switching (on with ignition, off with key out) via that data bus. If you fit an aftermarket radio, you usually need to pick up a switched "accessories" 12, volts to control the radio, so it goes on and off with the ignition key, like the OEM unit did. I don't have any A2 circuit schematics, but it usually comes from the key switch.
Your need a permanent 12 volts to retain station programing, and I'm guessing this is present and correct. If anyone has a circuit we can find the accessories switched supply, hopefully the A2 has one ...
If so, you won't have to switch on and off manually. Fingers crossed.
Mac.

Surely if the boot is full of water almost up to battery terminals, then is it called the diversity unit is submerged, or am I losing the plot.

Andy

Back