Sounds like tailgate rattle but have adjusted that 4 times still no better

Any ideas it’s worse over rough surfaces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A2 2001 rattle from rear it’s had new springs shocks and top mounts

Sounds like tailgate rattle but have adjusted that 4 times still no better

Any ideas it’s worse over rough surfaces

Open the tailgate fully.

At the top corner (each side) of the opening on the body there is a small piece of plastic trim. I would imagine that it is this that is rattling.

Pop a piece of thin plastic or card under it if it is that.

I had a rattle from that area and it was driving me crazy. Easily fixed and for several days I was driving around with the radio off just so I could hear the silence !!!

Hope that is it in your case too.

Steve B

I have this same problem as well, changed springs, shocks and rubber seats. I thought it was the back seat rattling, but it’s not as it still does it with rear passengers. It’s especially worse going around bumpy corners.
It’s really annoying and is causing a headache.

Open the tailgate fully.

At the top corner (each side) of the opening on the body there is a small piece of plastic trim. I would imagine that it is this that is rattling.

I had a rattle from that area and it was driving me crazy. Easily fixed and for several days I was driving around with the radio off just so I could hear the silence !!!

Steve B

Ours is more of a mechanical, metallic rattle. We have new top mounts to change and eliminate, but I’m not sure it’s those.

Ours is more of a mechanical, metallic rattle. We have new top mounts to change and eliminate, but I’m not sure it’s those.
I assume that you have replaced the top and bottom spring "foam" pieces?

Steve B

Did the very poorly designed bump stops and dust covers stay in place (they normally don't for long)

Steve B

We also replaced those with original Audi parts. The car has only done 150 miles since so I expect everything to be in order.

We also replaced those with original Audi parts. The car has only done 150 miles since so I expect everything to be in order.

I would definitely check them.

New ones including Audi supplied ones can come loose again within a week in my experience.

You can see / feel them without jacking the car up or removing anything.

They really are a poor design.

Steve B

50 cent on the back seat that rattles. Flip the seatback down or remove the seat complete to eliminate.

My car has a mechanical rattle caused by the right seatback fixing.

50 cent on the back seat that rattles. Flip the seatback down or remove the seat complete to eliminate.

My car has a mechanical rattle caused by the right seatback fixing.

Suggest also checking heat shields under the car the mounting rot away leaving the aluminium sheeting to rattle

Ok thanks for all the information
Now a run down I’ve removed parcel shelf and the false boot floor panel the rear seats are still fitted but are tilted forward I’ve also made sure battery is secure and all the toolkit is not loose
The noise seems to come from the n/s rear corner and on normal roads fine but as soon as a rough bit it rattles like the boot lid is open

Open the tailgate fully.

Steve B

Cheers mate bit confused which trim you mean any chance of a picture ??

Ok thanks for all the information
Now a run down I’ve removed parcel shelf and the false boot floor panel the rear seats are still fitted but are tilted forward I’ve also made sure battery is secure and all the toolkit is not loose
The noise seems to come from the n/s rear corner and on normal roads fine but as soon as a rough bit it rattles like the boot lid is open

I have done all of the above and checked the heat shields and it revealed nothing.

Cheers mate bit confused which trim you mean any chance of a picture ??

Hi Sure.

They are the black plastic trim pieces highlighted in these pictures.

IMG_0120.jpgIMG_0118.jpg

It might not be the cause in your case but it was definitely the cause of my rattle.

Steve B

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 304
I have done all of the above and checked the heat shields and it revealed nothing.

Check the clearance of the exhaust. I spent ages going over the heat shields on my old A2 looking for a dreaded vibration / rattle, and it turned out to be the exhaust not properly fitted, it was too close to the body at the rear.
I only found out when the flexible failed, it went in for repair and the fitter pointed it out.

I found a golf ball sized lump of plastic in the void under the warning triangle/first aid kit. Nothing to do with the car but most likely debris from a previous owner's trip to the tip when the kit was not in place.

Andy

Checked all of the above to no avail
The noise is definitely from n/s rear so I’m thinking of swapping the shockers left to right first and I will report back

My money is on the bumper. There are two attachments. Obviously one is suspect (Lhs)
The shields I guess would make a light rattling noise, the bumper has more weight on it and will be noisier. Will take some time to take the plastic covers off, I have not done it yet but I know it is the bumper in my case.
Good luck
M

Guys, just to throw my hat in the ring. Had a similar rattle from the rear before. Turned out to be the reinforcing beam for the rear bumper had loosened on one side and the vibration from driving elongated the mounting location. A couple of penny washers and new fixing bolts cured the problem. Try banging the rear bumper cover, if you hear a rattle then could be the problem I had. Trouble with rattles is tracing the source when so many parts are known to rattle.

Back