Rear axle support.

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
A question for the knowledgeable:
the bracket that supports the rear axle beam. My original appears to be steel but the one that came with the replacement axle is alloy. Is mine just dirty or were there both alloy and steel ones?

Phil Ward's axle refurb thread (post 4) shows the 'before' rather rusty brackets so there are definitely cast / steel ones

Cheers Spike

When we did this job on Adams car we found the same, the donor had alloy brackets and Adams car had cast steel. I think this was part of the cost savings that were needed during the A2’s life to make it profitable (or at least not losing even more money)
Ian

Just checked the parts list and there are 2 option codes for the brackets and a couple of other parts for the rear axle assy
PR 0N1 - standard rear axle
PR 0N9 - lightweight rear axle

Cheers Spike

Just checked the parts list and there are 2 option codes for the brackets and a couple of other parts for the rear axle assy

Cheers Spike

Must admit that the word "lightweight" is more than enough to catch my attention....

Is there a chance that anyone could weigh one or two of the steel ones? ( Information will be used for Project Letty )

Cheers
dieselfan

Would the PR ON1 light weight have been for the 3L 1.2 tdi? The standards being all other versions?

Would the PR ON1 light weight have been for the 3L 1.2 tdi? The standards being all other versions?

That crossed my mind but S/H 3L axles must be extremely rare in the UK so it's strange that simufly and Kleynie both have them.

Cheers Spike

That crossed my mind but S/H 3L axles must be extremely rare in the UK so it's strange that simufly and Kleynie both have them.

Cheers Spike
Ours was from an early FSi as the whole point in the change was to get disc brakes. I believe it’s simply down to build date.

Ian

Thanks simufly and Kleynie for the info
Tiny sample so not enough data even for an educated guess but both axles came from petrol cars.

Cheers Spike

Is it possible that Audi used Al/Mg rear axle support for the models that were light on the nose (petrol engine A2's, and steel for the 1.4TDI's ?

If we draw a parallell to the rear crash bar and crash bar brackets, which also seems to follow the same philosophy, they used the heavy parts at those models that were already (very) heavy on the nose, compared to the rear...

If there is a logic explanation to why Audi increased the weight of any part of the A2, it is probably related to safety and not cost...
(Year 2000: to cast/mould that support of alloy in Hungary ready to use, compared to steel in Spain or CZ is no big difference when transport is added to th equation....)

Did Audi engineer the A2 that way to achieve more even weight distribution between front and rear axle?
If yes, that should result in better brake balanse and improved functionality of ESP...

Cheers
dieselfan

My daughters crash bar brackets on her 1.4 petrol with OSS are alluminium. That has a build date of Feb 2002 although not registered until Jan 2004. The crash bar brackets on the 2003 FSi (no OSS) we had were steel. I dont think that helps at all o_O

Cheers Spike

Re checked the parts list and in addition to the brackets, the stub axles and wheel bearing / hub assys are different between the two axle option codes. As the 3L model has 4 stud wheel hubs that would suggest the lightweight axle was indeed intended only for the 3L model.

It's therefore possible that shortages of the steel part or excess stock of the alloy ones could be the reason for them being fitted on some 'normal' A2s.
Cost wise, as a service part the alloy brackets are nearly double the price of the steel ones
Both seem to be current parts with no supersessions
rear axle beam with attachment parts; see worksho... - Audi A2(A2) [EUROPA 2004 year] (7zap.com)

Cheers Spike

Slight aside: I did wonder if the rear crash beam mounts on our 52 plate 1.4i were galvanized iron or aluminium alloy, they are hoofing great things! Never thought to put a magnet on them...
Of course if the "iron" ones are actually steel and fabricated please ignore the above.

Back