Rear Lights modified

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
So just to be different, I have modified the rear lights. All bulbs are led, so a modified Flasher Relay is fitted. To prevent Colour DIS complaining, Timmus has disabled bulb failure detection.
The upper 3 bulb sockets now seat twin filament bulbs, both sides, so all 4 sockets carry twin led's.
Top & Bottom sockets have red, side and brake bulbs, giving 4 x Side and 4 x Brake, plus 2 x Fog in the upper socket.
Centre sockets have white/amber bulbs, giving 4 x Reverse and 4 x Indicator lights.
Not easy to photograph in daylight but sample pics ....... Side & Indicators...
b671a480c2e171c40d7580650a8eaa1b.jpg
109cf83caa83c16e1f0d20fb1d0cb95f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi @Jellybean where did you source your led bulbs as I'm looking at changing my brake lights, rear lights and indicators? Is it a straight swap for the ones I want to change?

How's the flasher relay modified?
Howey, have a look at this...

I have necessary parts so could mod a relay if required?

Last edited:
Hi @Jellybean where did you source your led bulbs as I'm looking at changing my brake lights, rear lights and indicators? Is it a straight swap for the ones I want to change?
Ok, depends what DIS you have.
If you have a basic DIS where minimal info is displayed, happy days. You can fit full led's.
If you have the full DIS or Colour DIS, then you also have bulb failure notification. Led's are seen as a failure so a wiring mod is required behind the Speedo Panel. Not sure exactly whats required, as Timmus modded mine.
So, after much searching and buying wishy washy bulbs, I found these to be bright and vibrant....

They are not cheap, but have been fitted for 2 years now with no failures.

Howey, have a look at this...

I have necessary parts so could mod a relay if required?

That's a very kind offer, is i decide to go LED will let you know! It's the awkwardness of accessing the relay I hate lol

Lol, yes. Must admit my relays are not replaced in the standard bracket, just in case I need to take them out again!

I would like to extend the wiring loom and place it above the pedals as I can hardly here it tick when indicators are on and would make removal so much easier!

I would like to extend the wiring loom and place it above the pedals as I can hardly here it tick when indicators are on and would make removal so much easier!
Ha, glad I am not the only one! The ticker is as effective as the horn.
I have some buzzers and plan to install one somewhere, maybe under the instrument binnacle, with a couple of diodes. Hoping to tune the volume using a foam earplug.

If you want to buy a set of bulbs, and don't mind waiting then you can make a real saving via AliExpress...

£6.54 45%OFF | 2-Pack 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D 39 SMD LED Bulb Extremely Bright Red / Yellow / White Car Stop Light Tail Brake Light 12V -15V

Will be one to add to the list!

On other cars been able to use resistors at the bulb end to cancel out the error but guessing the A2 is peculiar in this way too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be one to add to the list!

On other cars been able to use resistors at the bulb end to cancel out the error but guessing the A2 is peculiar in this way too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, its not. I just hate resistors dangling around, especially when they're hot!

I have tried to replace brake bulbs with led bulbs but after few mins driving I have EPC on FIS. The led bulb are sold as “ no errors” so supposed to have an internal resistance to imitate some current absorption

Hello,
Having tried to use LED brake lights and having the DIS alarm I'd like to know what is a "mod by Timmus" ?
Is this someone ?

Normally it is an adapation channel. On the A4 B8 it is possible to remove bulbs check by changing value on channel from 181 to 254 on confort 46. But on A2 I don't know how to do. If someone can help us then i can remove bulb check...

Back