rear number plate lights

Mr b

I have just purchased 2 number plate lights, I'm not sure how the old ones come out, has anyone replaced number plate lights and can you help?

Mr B

There's 2 screws in each lamp lense and you need to undo these to release the lense/bulb assembly. Changing is a diddle from there.

Whilst you're at it, I'd change those screws for stainless ones before they rust, cracking the lense and making new ones necessary. You can get suitable screws from B&Q for a little over £1

Cheers

Mike

I believe it's 36mm festoon bulbs (it's either 36 or 44mm - I think the longer ones are for the interior lights).

Cheers,

Mike

Number Plate Lights

I have taken off 2 screws that hold on the outer light, but the problem is the whole unit which is made of plastic. How do you get the whole unit out of it's compartment, because it seems to be totally jammed in. Does the plastic unit push out or pull out?

mr b

Do you really need to change the entire unit? If so, the only way is by removing the inner trim and then tackling the job from the inside.

It's not the easiest of tasks and unless the black plastic inner parts are cracked, there's nothing to be gained by changing them - you can change the bulb by just removing the clear lense.

Cheers,

mike

Number Plate Lights

Hi Mike,

I bought the 2 number plate lights from Stafford Audi, they come as a complete unit, the lense attached to the plastic unit. I understand what you say that it's easier just to take the screws out and if the plastic unit is not cracked, then just replace the lense.

I have taken off the back cover in the boot lid, but since I bought 2 complete units I'm just wondering how they come out. Do they push out or do you have to use a screwdriver to prise in between certain points. It just seems to me to be unusual how to get the units out for such a simple thing to be replaced.

Please advise.

Mr B

You need to remove the number plate portion of the tailgate to get the black inner part of the lights out.

However, there's no need to do this - the clear portion (which does have some black surrounding it and a layer of foam) does detach from the outside of the car.

Cheers

Mike

Number Plate Lights

Hi Mike,

The complete unit consists of foam on black plastic with a clear lense cover, but how do you remove the whole unit? I have taken off the number plate, I have taken out the 2 screws and removed the clear plastic lense and the black plastic unit is secured in it's slot. How do you remove the complete unit?

Mr B

You need to remove the interior trim from the tailgate, remove the lower outer portion of the tailgate (it's the plastic part that the number plate screws to) and then you can unclip the remainder of the lights.

Still not sure as to why you need to take the innards out, but there you go. If you do a search, Ben posted a guide not long since.

Cheers,

mike

I'm with Mike, if there are no issues with the innards I would leave them be and just replace the clear lens. If you insist on full replacement; note the link below which offers all the information you need.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9895

Cheers,

Darren

Have done just this myself the other day. The original screws had rusted and the lamp lens had cracked as a result...feared the worst after reading on here about the difficulty of replacing the whole unit.

Anyway, thankfully the screws did come out in one piece and have just popped the new lens part on in place of the cracked one, rather than replacing the whole thing. Have bought some stainless steel self-tapping screws today to replace the ones supplied with the Audi part.

David

Back