Rear screen rearwindscreen rear glass

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
Well I've managed to pick up a smashed rear screen. I've reported it as I think is was a little herburt throwing stones and mine took a direct hit from above.
The good news for everyone is that they are still available, bad news is there is small change from £500. Thankfully glass insurance excess will apply but I am concerned about getting the right one. I've checked with TPS, (I'm waiting a reply from the dealers), as I want to ensure the window replacement company order the right one, and they (TPS) were a little unsure.
Part number is 8Z0845499 + suffix.
I have simple factory sat nav (DIS Sat Nav with single din Concert II) so at the moment I'm looking at suffix F. However this comes Not PreTreated (NVB) or without the NVB which I have assumed is PreTreated.
Can anyone confirm the PreTreatment? Is it the hydrophobic coating? I'm guessing not required in markets with no rain?!?
Does the glass carry the part number anywhere?

Now to see whether the insurance company deal with this as vandalism or just a simple glass claim both carry excess and claim history baggage.
Then I've got the fitting....any ideas on the wiring or fitment against the high level brake leds.

I'll keep you all updated

Happy new year
Cheers
Jonathan

Dealer has confirmed the part number as 8Z0845499F NVB. The NVB described as the water beeding coating. So apparently mine didn't have the hydrophobic coating even through I remember the rain beeding well for years and we have had it since new. I struggle with the concept of the dealer adding this before delivery when it could have been factory supplied

The big difference is in the position of the rear spoiler. On a FSI it is bigger and in a different position on the glass. Other than that I would imagine that you should have the correct one. As for the coating, I guess that changed at a certain model year, but I have never seen any difference and I have had a few 2000 and 2001 A2s. But if they are paying for it ok, if not, the occasional application of "Rain X" or similar will do the job well enough.

Steve B

I think the hydrophobic coating was only added onto the glass area below the spoiler . Antenna for sat nav should be built into the glass and the brakelight is held on with 2 screws I believe.

I think the hydrophobic coating was only added onto the glass area below the spoiler . Antenna for sat nav should be built into the glass and the brakelight is held on with 2 screws I believe.

Thanks for the reply. The more I look the more I see NVB on Audi glass of all description (front, side and rear) I don't think this applies to the hydrophobic coating - could be a UV coating which might explain its absence from the UK ?.
I think it would be difficult for them to apply the hydrophobic coating to only the lower part of the glass as the spoiler is not edge to edge but then again...
Cheers Jonathan

The big difference is in the position of the rear spoiler. On a FSI it is bigger and in a different position on the glass. Other than that I would imagine that you should have the correct one. As for the coating, I guess that changed at a certain model year, but I have never seen any difference and I have had a few 2000 and 2001 A2s. But if they are paying for it ok, if not, the occasional application of "Rain X" or similar will do the job well enough.

Steve B
Thanks I'd forgotten about the FSIs bigger spoiler.

Well after only a week the insurance company have rejected my demand for Audi glass. Only option is to take pattern part or they will right the car off.
Let's see whether the part that turns up comes with the factory sat nav ariel. Probably made by the OEM anyway.

Jonathan

I think all the rear windscreens now come with the connections and antenna for the sat nav as it supercedes the one without which should no longer be available. Could be right, highly possible the only ones you can get will be OEM or debadged OEM because I'd imagine they are expensive to produce with the shape of it with the spoiler etc and cannot be much demand for them. Am sure somebody on here had one replaced not so long ago if you can find the thread

Another option would be the scrapyards. The one near me sells a full rear door for £35.00 or if you want to try and separate the glass it is £17.00.

Let me know if anyone wants me to keep an eye out. A2’s turn up once or twice a year but so far I’ve only been raiding them for switches and cup holders. Then again maybe I should just get one for a spare.

Please don’t let the insurance company write off another one of these gems.

Tony.

I have a bare tailgate with glass - there is a scratch in the glass below the spoiler, but otherwise it's in good condition - spoiler is good too.
It's Pine Green though, so it would either be glass out or respray the metalwork.
I've offered it in the for sale section but haven't had any takers.
If you want it, you can have it for free. Whereabouts in the country are you?

I have a bare tailgate with glass - there is a scratch in the glass below the spoiler, but otherwise it's in good condition - spoiler is good too.
It's Pine Green though, so it would either be glass out or respray the metalwork.
I've offered it in the for sale section but haven't had any takers.
If you want it, you can have it for free. Whereabouts in the country are you?
Thanks for the very kind offer but all sorted now

Well windscreen guy turned up today to fit the new rearscreen. Part is Audi marked but this is hidden when fitted in any case. Lower left corner if anyone is interested. Difficult to see as its an area of the glass further darkened by the boot lid frame behind it (if that makes sense).

The only difference is that the ends of the spoiler are slightly thicker, clearly something to do with beefing up the points the spoiler is affixed to the glass (2 torx screws with backing plates, one either end). Which would explain my dealers reply - I would have been suffix C (upto VIN 70000) then superceded by suffix F
I had a quick look at the schematics for the factory sat nav and the GPS aerial is shown under the dash so I'm still ignorant as to why some glass is spec'd for cars with sat nav.
There are 4 aerial connectors 1 AM & FM & 3 more FM only. 2 Heated rear window connectors and a round type connector I have yet to findout its purpose.

Thanks for all your responses
Jonathan

Another option would be the scrapyards. The one near me sells a full rear door for £35.00 or if you want to try and separate the glass it is £17.00.

Let me know if anyone wants me to keep an eye out. A2’s turn up once or twice a year but so far I’ve only been raiding them for switches and cup holders. Then again maybe I should just get one for a spare.

Please don’t let the insurance company write off another one of these gems.

Tony.
No chance of letting her get written off, after 15 years & 250k miles she's very much part of the family.

The only difference is that the ends of the spoiler are slightly thicker, clearly something to do with beefing up the points the spoiler is affixed to the glass (2 torx screws with backing plates, one either end).

a round type connector I have yet to findout its purpose.

Thanks for all your responses
Jonathan

Thicker end plates and slightly deeper spoiler are traits of the FSI and 3L spoiler.

The round type connector could possibly be for the terrestrial TV reciever aerial unit ?

Thicker end plates and slightly deeper spoiler are traits of the FSI and 3L spoiler.

The round type connector could possibly be for the terrestrial TV reciever aerial unit ?

I knew the fsi had a larger spoiler but wasn't sure how much larger. I see you have an early 75TDI, if you get a chance some time could you measure the spoiler at its deepest so that I might compare with the new one. Having made me wait over two weeks I'll have no qualms about getting them back if its the wrong one.

Thanks
Jonathan

I knew the fsi had a larger spoiler but wasn't sure how much larger. I see you have an early 75TDI, if you get a chance some time could you measure the spoiler at its deepest so that I might compare with the new one. Having made me wait over two weeks I'll have no qualms about getting them back if its the wrong one.

Thanks
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Yes I do and can,

I'll up date here once Ive taken some measurements.

Back