Recommenden Garage Harpenden/St Albans/Luton area?

Norm

My 1.6FSI just failed MOT with high CO (0.7% fast idle) but HC only 62ppm. The view of my usual local "man" is it is not the Cats but, very unsure what it might be! So reluctant to thrown new cats at it unless there is a better than even chance that it will solve the issue.

So, can i ask if there is a garage in the Harpenden/St Albans/Luton area that members might reccomend.
Greatful for any suggestions. (And would travel further if necessary)
Many thanks
Norman

Can I suggest a bottle of cataclean and an "italian tune-up" - before going straight back in for the guy to test the emissions again?

I have heard much success of this working on a very wide range of cars of all descriptions with only slightly elevated emissions like yours is.

Thanks, but would you say 0.7% versus a upper limit of 0.3% is a slight elevation? I'm not experienced in these technicalities so interested to know.
Havent tried an italian tune-up given that the MOT has expired so not risking too long journeys.
Really, I'm happy to let a garage handle it but wary of main dealers for all the usual reasons, but it seems a bit much for my usual "man". Hence, asking where members are happy to entrust their cars to.

Thanks, but would you say 0.7% versus a upper limit of 0.3% is a slight elevation? I'm not experienced in these technicalities so interested to know.
Havent tried an italian tune-up given that the MOT has expired so not risking too long journeys.
Really, I'm happy to let a garage handle it but wary of main dealers for all the usual reasons, but it seems a bit much for my usual "man". Hence, asking where members are happy to entrust their cars to.
Great to meet a fellow Harpendenian! I think I've seen your car... a red FSI parked near the Engineer?
I use Pan Autos on Coldharbour Lane. They seem to care and also know about the jacking requirements on our little beauties 😀

Thanks Richard... I'll try Pan Autos as its so near. But do you happen to know if they have the seemingly essential VCDS?
And Yes - thats my LittleRedLorry:) What other car does so many jobs so well?!

Thanks KosMo... with a current MOT I might well have made the trip to Hounslow as ive seen Gary's name appear favourably in this forum a few times I think.

Thanks again

Thanks Richard... I'll try Pan Autos as its so near. But do you happen to know if they have the seemingly essential VCDS?
And Yes - thats my LittleRedLorry:) What other car does so many jobs so well?!

Thanks KosMo... with a current MOT I might well have made the trip to Hounslow as ive seen Gary's name appear favourably in this forum a few times I think.

Thanks again
I’ve got VCDS Lite myself. Fortunately no codes with my little one, so not had much cause to delve deeper including through Pan Autos. Your are welcome to borrow my VCDS sometime as needed- let me know.

Thanks Richard

CarsUpKeep Ltd have been invaluable on my A8 project car. It had a lot of faults! They certainly have VCDS or equivalent. They are based in Milton Keynes. But they do travel for a small call out charge. Maybe worth contacting if you decide not to go to Pan Autos and don't wish to travel too far.

Thanks again Richard - im very tempted to take you up on your offer of a loan of your VCDS Lite as my son is over from Australia right now and he has quite a bit of experience in that type of diagnostics, but for the moment I'm off to PanAutos to see how confident they are on fixing it and on what time scale. But if that doesnt work out I would like to take up your kind offer if i may.
Thanks

My 1.6FSI just failed MOT with high CO (0.7% fast idle) but HC only 62ppm. The view of my usual local "man" is it is not the Cats but, very unsure what it might be! So reluctant to thrown new cats at it unless there is a better than even chance that it will solve the issue.

So, can i ask if there is a garage in the Harpenden/St Albans/Luton area that members might reccomend.
Greatful for any suggestions. (And would travel further if necessary)
Many thanks
Norman
I'm surprised there's no EML, as the ECU monitors the pre and post cat lambdas, and that level of CO should be picked up, and the ECU will try to correct it via mixture ratio, ignition timing, etc.
High CO indicates poor combustion, (mixture too rich). A scan with VCDS should be the next move.
Mac.

This PDF lists the Engine Groups and Blocks, as they are in the new lbl File @Andrew has recently posted.
I haven't finished it yet, but what I've covered so far, includes the Groups that apply to your high CO.
Look at Groups 26 to 46.
Mac.

Attachments

• VCDS Lite Engine Groups Drafts.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
Thanks PlaticMac, very informative and agreed...very strange no EML.
At this point I would mention that my car is Mandy's RZX ex-car, which had the FSI flap modified ECU et al by Timmus i think. My understanding is that this modification only addressed the flap issue, and should not affect the EML or "values" etc.

Had another word with my "man" who had several £k's worth of recent blue toothy diagnostics and it seems he got access, but information was limited. I didn't understand fully but he says it only brought up one of the lambda sensors(?)

Incidently, another mechanic with the very latest snap-on gear failed to make connection with my car at all!

So, is there any know problem with the ProBoost rechip in this regard?

My usual "man" looked at temperatures before and after each cat and in one case they were about the same, and for the other cat the entry temp was higher than the exit (which i understand is the wrong way round).

Going to quizz a couple of garages to see if they have VCDS - as the next step.
As always..any further advice very welcome.
Thanks

Honestly, I know nothing about the effect ProBoost has on the diagnostics, not sure anyone, other than ProBoost themselves does.
I'd get it scanned with vcds preferably a registered version, so you have access to all groups, post the results on here, and go go from there.
I would not have expected ProBoost to disable one of the lambas, since comparison of the pre and post cat readings tell you about the way the cat is, (or isn't) working. If one lambda is not in use, then that could be why there's no EML.
Maybe @A2Steve can ask ProBoost for info on the engine diagnostic changes, and the interpretation of them.
Would be good to know.
Mac.

My FSI has a ProBoost ECU and currently an EML on with faults recorded for both the lambda sensors on the regular cat. So no, ProBoost doesn't map either of them out. What it does do is map out the additional NOX cat which is needed when running in stratified mode (beneath about 3k revs), because it also maps out the inlet manifold flaps, leaving the engine in permanent non-stratified mode like a 'normal' engine.

My FSI has a ProBoost ECU and currently an EML on with faults recorded for both the lambda sensors on the regular cat. So no, ProBoost doesn't map either of them out. What it does do is map out the additional NOX cat which is needed when running in stratified mode (beneath about 3k revs), because it also maps out the inlet manifold flaps, leaving the engine in permanent non-stratified mode like a 'normal' engine.
The last sentence, (... permanently non stratified), is only correct if the flaps were in the down, (inlet wide open), position when the actuator mechanism failed. If the flaps are stuck somewhere other than down, then the fuelling may be out.
Mac.

The last sentence, (... permanently non stratified), is only correct if the flaps were in the down, (inlet wide open), position when the actuator mechanism failed. If the flaps are stuck somewhere other than down, then the fuelling may be out.
Mac.
One common causes of high CO is a clogged air filter. This constricts the air flow, resulting in rich mixture, incomplete combustion, and high CO.
An inlet, partially restricted by the flap, would probably have the same effect.
Mac.

Hi Norman
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the car, I vote for Cataclean followed by Italian tune up, which worked for me both times I had an issue. I assume you are only using premium fuel.

For the 1st couple of years of owning the car there was no eml coming on at all but once Timmus fitted the proboost he obviously reset it and eml came on with the ignition and went out on fire up, is this still the case?

Good luck with it

Hi Norman
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the car, I vote for Cataclean followed by Italian tune up, which worked for me both times I had an issue. I assume you are only using premium fuel.

For the 1st couple of years of owning the car there was no eml coming on at all but once Timmus fitted the proboost he obviously reset it and eml came on with the ignition and went out on fire up, is this still the case?

Good luck with it
@RZX What was your logic in fitting the ProBoost originally?
Mac.

Back