Rejuvenate a 1.4tdi

Alcamo

Hi All,
I purchased my 1.4tdi nearly 5 years ago and have added 30k+ miles in that time. It is now approaching 160k miles and running better than ever. The car was intended as a workhorse to 'spare' my two Mercedes, an estate and classic SL. It has performed almost faultlessly and has become my preferred drive despite using it as a 'shed on wheels' almost literally. It carries a rotavator and lawn mower plus countless tools to and from my allotment! It isn't the prettiest aesthetically although it only has a minor parking ding in one door plus some road rash. Although all is well currently, I know that at some point I will have to find a replacement. I could presumably look out for another car from a trusted seller however I did wonder if anyone offers a restoration service for these car and if it would be financially viable?. I don't mean a magazine cover example but a comprehensive overhaul covering all the known areas and perhaps a machine polish? I'd be happy with used parts where possible. Is there such a service out there? Any ideas on cost? It has to be better than buying another tired example and starting again?

Interesting question. I assume you don't DIY mechanical jobs then?

What's your budget range for getting the car sorted and what are the known faults you'd like addressing?

To help you, the areas that wear out at your kind of mileage and tend to need sorting that are not addressed by the car's service schedule are suspension rebuild (of all mounts / rubber components and shocks) and the balance shaft / oil pump chain on the engine (best done at the same time as a cambelt service). Everything else would be on a "as-needed" basis.

EDIT: I see you have a later car - you should replace your lower suspension arms while it's all apart - if not replaced already then they will probably be weakened from corrosion.

Interesting question. I assume you don't DIY mechanical jobs then?

What's your budget range for getting the car sorted and what are the known faults you'd like addressing?

To help you, the areas that wear out at your kind of mileage and tend to need sorting that are not addressed by the car's service schedule are suspension rebuild (of all mounts / rubber components and shocks) and the balance shaft / oil pump chain on the engine (best done at the same time as a cambelt service). Everything else would be on a "as-needed" basis.

EDIT: I see you have a later car - you should replace your lower suspension arms while it's all apart - if not replaced already then they will probably be weakened from corrosion.

There are loads of mobile valeting services available across the country. The average cost is around £100 for ceramic coating/paint treatment and an interior clean. I would find one that's local to you and recommended.

Hi, I can and do take on basic DIY jobs and this forum has been invaluable. I don't have the facilities to strip the suspension etc and also I'm not sure that my back is up it now! The car has had new disks, pads, drums and shoes plus rear shocks recently. The cambelt and water pump was changed last year and it has had a Stealth remap to about 110bhp. The car is starting to show signs of wear in the suspension - making some noises over bumps but the suspension arms are solid. The usual wiper, door stay, intermittent central locking and most recently brake wear sensor harness fault are likely to need attention very soon. A suspension rebuild would definitely be welcome too.
I don't have a budget in mind - I guess I am trying to gauge costs. As a third car, albeit a very valued one, I would have to be mindful of extensive outlay.

A refurbed wiper from @depronman and check straps will cost you about £60 I think.

A replacement CCCU from @timmus

Replacement ABS loom

And pay a mechanic to change the front shocks. Looking at less than £600 all in.

Good that the brakes have been done. To keep the system in good shape, has the brake and clutch fluid been changed recently too? Supposed to be done every two years although in reality I bought a cheap tester for water content and change when needed.

As above, the wiper and door check straps are simple DIY jobs that you'll find rewarding.

The suspension on the other hand is as you say, another thing altogether. Having said that, I would start buying quality parts as they come up cheap - Search for the part numbers using 7zap / this forum - That way you're just looking at labour costs and the total will be spread out over time. Is it just the front suspension then that's showing its age?

If so then it's shocks, top mounts, drop links and any other perished-looking bushes. If in doubt as to brands, go for Febi at a minimum; TRW and Lemforder are as good as OE (along with Meyle HD for drop links at least).

You're not a million miles from DS Motorsport near Coventry - they have done a lot of work on mine and one or two other members' cars and I would trust them implicitly to do this work, however they (along with any other trustworthy independent garage with knowledge of working on A2s) don't charge any less than what they're worth for labour.

For the central locking fault, I'd consult with Tom @timmus before spending money on any parts, just in case.

Hi, I can and do take on basic DIY jobs and this forum has been invaluable. I don't have the facilities to strip the suspension etc and also I'm not sure that my back is up it now! The car has had new disks, pads, drums and shoes plus rear shocks recently. The cambelt and water pump was changed last year and it has had a Stealth remap to about 110bhp. The car is starting to show signs of wear in the suspension - making some noises over bumps but the suspension arms are solid. The usual wiper, door stay, intermittent central locking and most recently brake wear sensor harness fault are likely to need attention very soon. A suspension rebuild would definitely be welcome too.
I don't have a budget in mind - I guess I am trying to gauge costs. As a third car, albeit a very valued one, I would have to be mindful of extensive outlay.
The brake wear sensor fault - on most, if not all, of the A2s I've owned the loom wires going to front brake pads are twisted and soldered together to get rid of that warning light.....

Consider changing the gearbox oil. It's supposed to be "sealed for life" but it does deteriorate and does lose some oil. I've now had mine done twice in 100K.

Back