Remap curves

nick4tl

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could advise me a bit. I got my 75Hp tdi remapped on friday. They dynoed the car before and after. Ill try and upload later once I find a scanner. The peak torque and power went up nicely from 81.8bhp@3785 to 95.4bhp@3783 and 159.4ftlb@2432 to 173.3@2529.

The problem is that my power and torque below 2000rpm are lower than before the remap. At 1700 rpm I have 30bhp (as opposed to 40 pre re map) and 100 lbft (as opposed to 115 pre remap). At 2000 rpm the before and after figures are identical and things get steadily better from there on.
So basically I have a big improvement from 2000 onwards. Essentially the slope of the power curve has increased with the remap. SO i have lost power below 2000 and gained it above.

Thing is what I was after was an improvement from 1000 to 2000. I do a lot of town driving and generally drive for economy so a big boost in power from 2000 rpm onwards isnt of huge use.

Im wondering if it is possible to get what I am looking for or does a remap mean this trade off?

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Hmm, I agree that the distribution of power and torque post remap is against what you'd (and I'd) want. It sounds like whoever did the remap didn't do a very good job of it. I'm sure you've read about Vince at Stealth Racing on these forums before. He's essentially researched A2-specific remapping and thus his remaps are considered a standard mod for many TDI owners. I appreciate he's a long way from NI, but if you're over here you should probably visit him. I understand he does it at a significantly reduced rate for owners club members, too.

Cheers,

Tom

Ive contacted the remapper to see what they think. In fairness i was in a bit of rush and didnt really tell them what I was after. They offer a 30 day car back to standard and money back service so I should be ok. The car feels super when accelerating beyone 2000 rpm but is feels exactly the same in terms of getting going from standstill and low down power. ho humm.

The turbo only really kicks in from around 1800 rpm, so you wont really get much gain from 1000-1800.
But yer, it shouldnt really go down. Trouble is a lot of these companys use a standard map and dont tweak it to the car, where as vince does.
What year car is yours? / what engine?
John

Take a look at the graph below. It's the torque curve post Vince's remap.

View attachment 7662

I can't remember whose car I've stolen this from, but it shows clearly that peak torque now occurrs lower in the revs and that your existing peak torque happens about 450revs further down. The point where the graphs cross, where things are worse post remap, is at about 1550ish.

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• Torque.jpg
    Torque.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Looking at your graph your torque drops off pretty quickly also.....
Timmus yours seems to drop off promptly too. What engine you got

Mine will happily pull strongly from around 2300 - 3300, then it starts to drop off

John

Mine is also an AMF, but it's not yet been remapped. I've stolen that graph from someone else's thread... I can't remember whose car it belongs to, but it was also an AMF.

All though the torque drops off its still inline with the original curve. When driving you dont notice any drop off really after 2300 rpm. It feels way more powerful. Overtaking at motorway speeds is a vast improvement. Thing is I tend not to really overtake on motorways these days.

scan0002.jpgscan0001.jpg

Here are my curves.
As you can see, my torque is reached and well maintained before dropping off towards 3500 rpm
And the horsepower only slightly declines prior to 4k rpm

John

I see you also have an extra 20lbft and 8bhp at 2000rpm too. oh dear. thanks for posting those. I'll have a chat with the remapper and see what they think.

Print my graphs off and take them in with you and say "Please make mine like this" :p
Also get them to map the EGR out, as you will get some performance gain from that also
John

I blanked mine off pre mapping, and in vinces map, he acutally maps out the EGR anyway so its not used.
Get a cleaner burn so prob more power and less crap going into the engine.
Also with the EGR functional, you would loose some of the pressure acting on turbo, as waste gases would be going back into the engine rather than over the turbo fins.

Interesting thread. I just had my TDI 75 remapped and do like the extra power above 2000 rpm; however as per all the above torque curves I have also experienced less torque below about 1500rpm. Is this the specifics of the remap or inevitable with a remapped TDI 75? I am thinking of going back to the original map as this is the area where I want greater torque more than the rest to the rev range.

If you look at my curves, I have slightly less torque between 1300-1500 rpm, but its minimal. In those lower rev bands you wont have much torque because the turbo hasnt spooled up by then, and a remap wont really change that, as its determined by the amount of gas flowing through the turbo from the exhaust.

The torque punch kicks in between 1800 / 2000 rpm with the turbo operational and thats when the car pulls nicely.

Today I remapped my car back to standard. And whatya know, there is a noticeable improvement in the low end torque. The car is much happier in the 1800 to 1950rpm bracket than it was with the remap that I show above. Its not that I try to drive with the engine down in those low revs, but when I'm just bumbling along on back roads I do find I often end up there. Now the car is quite happy and capable to pull from 1800 (or even a bit lower).

and it only took you 9 years to get round to it ?
Ever cautious. I never like to rush into things :) To be honest the remap didn't bother me too much as I used to do more motorway driving and the increase in power above 2k rpm was welcome.

Back