Remote Locking

shao_khan

Past Member
So my car came with one key and not a remote key fob. Did all cars come with remote locking as an option (I know hard question as I'm in Europe) - is there an easy way to tell if the car has it and the key was lost or if it never had it?

Thanks
:)

You might want to look at the options sticker if the car still has it. I've downloaded this PDF with options code descriptions to figure out everything my A2 is supposed to have.
Probably relevant for remote locking my A2 has these options:
4K4 - Radio remote controller central locking
5D1 - Carrier frequency 433.92MHz - 434.42MHz

UK ones all had remote locking but I know that it was optional or only included on certain trim levels in Europe, including Ireland.

You might want to look at the options sticker if the car still has it. I've downloaded this PDF with options code descriptions to figure out everything my A2 is supposed to have.
Probably relevant for remote locking my A2 has these options:
4K4 - Radio remote controller central locking
5D1 - Carrier frequency 433.92MHz - 434.42MHz
I have 5D0 which is without carrier frequency.

I have 5D0 which is without carrier frequency.
Then I guess that car didn't have remote locking from factory. I don't know if every A2 has the aerial antenna for remote locking and alarm, if they do then a comfort unit swap and probably programming a new key into it via VCDS can get you remote locking.
If central locking currently works via the door lock cylinder then using that with an aftermarket solution might be easier and possibly cheaper.

If the remote option didn't came from factory there won't be an antenna installed in the car.

Installation of an aftermarket remote requires splicing directly into the door module wiring, which I would not recommend.
In case of the door lock module to cccu can-bus communication problems (happens when A pillar connector pins corrode), an aftermarket remote will not work at all.

Factory remote can be retrofitted without splicing and with a newer CCCU you can have a newer style key :).
To install the antenna, you can use 000979018E cable, solder it to coaxial cable, Pin into the pin 15 (shield) & 16 (signal) on the beige connector on the cccu.

If you go the factory route you can buy a second hand key and then an auto locksmith can do a blade cut, sell and code a new ID chip into the immobiliser.
Here you can see how to insert a new ID chip into an a4 b7 style key.

Hello, I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I could need some help regarding this topic. I'm retrofitting remote central locking to a year 2000 A2 1.4 petrol which didn't have remote central locking from factory (LHD car sold in Finland). I have already changed the CCCU from 8Z0 959 433 H to 8Z0 959 433 AC, bought two 8Z0 837 231 D keys and got them coded and blades cut. I still need to get the remote function sorted with VCDS and install the antenna to receive the signal from the remote keys.

Would anyone here have any instructions for the antenna installation? Photos from a car that has factory fitted remote central locking would be helpful too. From where does the antenna cable go and to where and what kind of cable should I use? Would anyone here who has been breaking A2s have any photos or advice? Any help is appreciated :)

Back