removal of climate control

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

can someone tell me how to remove the climate control panel? ive checked other threads but ive only came across single din with the cubby hole removal or am i missing something?

ive spent the last hour trying to remove this $hitty thing. i dont have any removal keys for the stereo so i tried the credit card method by trying to cut out the same shape as posted in another thread.

firstly, do i need to remove the stereo? and secondly do i need to remove the ashtray? i did the latter and the spring from inside ashtray came out of its position but i managed to get that back in ok :)

i reckon i will need the removal keys in order to do the job right unless someone can advise on something else!

cheers

cammy

Hi Cammy,

I've found the easiest way to do this without removing the stereo is to remove the ashtray. Remove the two screws and pull the ashtray forwards, then disconnect the cable. Next, put your hands underneath the climate panel and push from the back. It's pretty stiff, but certainly do-able.

The stereo removal keys aren't expensive though, and a good addition to every 'A2 tool kit'. I think mine were around £1-2 for four, if I recall correctly.

Regards,

Matt.

Hi Guys
Trying to remove the climate control panel on my daughters 51 plate petrol 1.4 R4. Have removed the radio, but I am stumped on the ashtray - taken out the insert but no sign of the "two screws". Pushed and pulled to no avail. No visible screws or clues to the cubby hole removal either. Any further advise would be most welcome.

The cubby hole should be doable.

put your hand in as far as you can and form a fist so that your hand is as tight as possible in there.

and pull !!!!

the cubby hole WILL come out and then you will see the two screws for the ashtray.

Have faith, the cubby hole will come out if you pull hard enough.

The above instructions were for a double DIN sized radio system (i.e. they do not have a cubby hole)

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Guys
Trying to remove the climate control panel on my daughters 51 plate petrol 1.4 R4. Have removed the radio, but I am stumped on the ashtray - taken out the insert but no sign of the "two screws". Pushed and pulled to no avail. No visible screws or clues to the cubby hole removal either. Any further advise would be most welcome.

hi guys,

i bought myself removal keys from halfords today £4.99 and it did the job for removing the symphony 2. when you open the ashtray there is a plastic strip that has to be removed before accessing the screws. it should easily unclip if you pull towards you from both sides. once you have removed the ashtray be careful not to pull too far as there is a plastic wire block connection attached to the ashtray for the led light, this is easily removed if you jiggle it about.

anyways.... i found no way to access underneath the climate in order to pull or push as there was no room but once the radio was out it was easy from there :)

thanks

cammy

Revivification of this thread in the hope someone can give more detail. I have had no luck trying to pull out the climate control panel. how much force can be exerted? Can we loop a cable or similar to ratchet the thing out?

You need to PUSH them out, not pull.

The Double DIN ones can be an absolute PIG to get out.

But getting your hand to the back of the unit and pushing with your fingers is a must.

Single DIN cars needs the cubby removed (remembering to OPEN THE ASH TRAY FIRST (or better still just remove the two screws that are behind the small plastic "fascia"

Double DIN cars need the radio removed to get enough of your hand / fingers to the back of the unit.

Steve B

It’s a LOT more force than feels comfortable I found a quick pulse of force was better than a gradually increasing shove. Get your fingers down behind it, find a bit that feels sturdy, put your other fingers at the front and give it a yank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revivification of this thread in the hope someone can give more detail. I have had no luck trying to pull out the climate control panel. how much force can be exerted? Can we loop a cable or similar to ratchet the thing out?
If you get really desperate, I am not that far away (Eynsham), have a bit of experience, pop across (arrange by PM), and between us I am sure we can get it out. The climate is held in by 4 strong clips, and as I have said before like trying to get a bone out of the jaws of a hungry Rottweiler. Do not try and lever it out or you will scratch/break the front panel. Out of interest why do you want to remove it?

I can also give you a free VCDS scan if that is of interest.

Andy

If you get really desperate, I am not that far away (Eynsham), have a bit of experience, pop across (arrange by PM), and between us I am sure we can get it out. The climate is held in by 4 strong clips, and as I have said before like trying to get a bone out of the jaws of a hungry Rottweiler. Do not try and lever it out or you will scratch/break the front panel. Out of interest why do you want to remove it?

I can also give you a free VCDS scan if that is of interest.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I have a newer one that has a almost blemish free buttons however, functionally the existing one works. I will try and orhanise to pop over as picking your brain on the car and a quick scan would be useful. I have a basic OBDII scanner and all working at the moment. But I have some issues with hot re start which i suspect is a dirty sensor. Having gone 97RON things are improving and i am about to do a wynns treatment. Hopefully that will improve matters further

Sometimes the hot start issues can be something as simple as a failing / failed temperature sender. A broken one can cause the ECU to think that the engine is cold when it is hot. They are not that expensive and it may be contributing to the issue.
Andy may well be able to check the readings from the ECU circuit of the sensor (the other circuit feeds the temperature gauge.)

Steve B

Sometimes the hot start issues can be something as simple as a failing / failed temperature sender. A broken one can cause the ECU to think that the engine is cold when it is hot. They are not that expensive and it may be contributing to the issue.
Andy may well be able to check the readings from the ECU circuit of the sensor (the other circuit feeds the temperature gauge.)

Steve B
Thank you. Yes. Could well be. we checked sensors and they are not showing a fault. I agree however, they might not be sending the right signal. The ECU is backing off the fuel pump for inexplicable reasons. A false signal of some origin. Hence suspicious of temps

Also, the fuel pump relays are prone to become temperamental from time to time.

Do you hear the pump fire up when you open the driver's door. It should do the first time you open it.

Steve B

Back