Removal of plastic painted strip on doors possible?

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Bought a fleabay door recently and the door itself has decent paint but the strip has fairly bad lacquer peel. So rather than bin I'm trying to understand if they bonded on and if so can they be removed without wrecking the paint on either the strip or the door?

I've not seen screws that i can think of when I've been replacing door microswitches so can only assume they are bonded..any thoughts (including skip the door) appreciated :)

which strip are you referring too ?
The strip at the bottom of the door is held in place with double sided tape and a self tapping screw at either end - I have removed these to paint them silver to match the doors.
The strip in the centre of the door skin is to the best of my knowledge bonded in place

Painted strips Paul... assuming it would turn out rather messy if you try and remove?
I think you would be looking at a mess if you tried to remove the plastic rubbing strip

Better to mask, rub down, repaint and lacquer on the door

I would go with the advice from deproman but I have a new one waiting for paint. If it is of any help I can take a picture of the back of one.

From memory I think they are self adhesive.

lol long story. Its the same door - local paintshop were able to unbend it for 20 quid. Mrs Cheechy took it down for me without noticing that the strip had major lacquer peel on it :)

Couple of really small dings but better than current door so thought I'd explore options to repaint. Repainting on the door sounds like a good plan to me I have all the materials already so why not?

When weather gets warmer I'l give it a go alongside trying to make a proper start on the leather, and spraying wing mirrors.

Months of work ahead :D

Double sided tape on all edges and a number of location points that go into circular holes in the door:

HLyOdpG.jpg

Back