Remove injectors 1.4 Petrol (BBY)

ROKJ

I do not take any responsibility for any type of personal damage or damage to the parts on your car, that are included in this guide. There might be some elements that needs clarification, please feel free to comment in that case to make this guide more complete :)

Please leave a thumb up if this guide helped :)

My first "How to"-post so pls comment if i've missed anything. Plus I'm from Sweden so pls excuse any grammatical errors.
Background in my case: I think one or several injector/injectors are leaking and dropping fuel pressure, which causes the engine to become a little harder to start after it has been sitting a while. Although, if I turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds before starting, like you would with a cold diesel engine, it starts without hesitation. Plus fuel economy is not what I think it should be at an average of 0,72 Liters / 10 km. Well, lets see if this remedies these problems (also changing spark plugs and fuel filter, cleaned and aligned throttle body). I'll have to get back when the injectors have been serviced.
Edit: My injectors have now been tested (not serviced) and had an even flow and no leakage, so the problem is somewhere else...

Remove the fuse for the fuel pump and start the engine, shut it off when it starts to stall. This reduces the pressure in the fuel lines and fuel rail for when you are to release the fuel hose. Or, use VCDS to monitor the fuel pressure dropping below 6 bar.

Remove the hood! ;) The injectors are located at the "back" of the engine and are connected to the fuel rail.
1.jpg

To be able to remove the fuel rail and injectors, the intake plenum just above the fuel rail needs to be removed. Remove the HEX-bolt right in the middle...
2.jpg

Remove the hose the rubber hose (top circle, pulls right off) and loosen the hose clamp holding the plenum to the throttle body (it was in my case, might be an original one time-clamp on some?)...
3.jpg

And remove the hose clamp on the left side, using pliers.
4.jpg

Pull the plenum straight up. It's tight but I got my hands underneath the whole thing and just pulled it off with force. It sits with these rubber bushes on little ball headed pins.
5.jpg

Remove the hose clamp holding the fuel hose to the fuel rail on the left hand side, using a set of pliers. Note the ball headed-pin that the plenum attaches to top right.
BE AWARE, a bit of fuel might sip out, make sure to have either a small vessel, a big rag or a good amount of paper to catch it. It will come from both the fuel hose and the fuel rail. In my case, it was about 20 ml maybe. I strongly recommend doing this with the engine cooled off, there will be some fumes filling the engine bay for a little while, you don't want that blowing up in your face...
6.jpg

Remove the electric connectors from the injectors (arrowed). Just press the little clip at the top and wiggle it straight up. Remove the two allen-bolts holding the fuel rail.
7.jpg

Now, get your fingers to grip evenly under the fuelrail and wiggle the whole thing straight up, the injectors are now holding it in place with their o-rings. Flip it around and remove the securing washer that locks the injectors in place. They come off by prying with a small screwdriver straight out.
8.jpg

Here's one halfway out...
9.jpg

And here's how they look.
10.jpg

Next is just pulling the injectors off the fuel rail. They are only attached through an o-ring but you will have to wiggle just a LITTLE bit and pull quite hard and they will pop loose. BTW, do clean the area around each injector quite well before pulling them off so there's no debris falling into the fuel rail and clogging up your newly serviced injectors first thing that happens after assembly.

Last edited:
Continues:

I marked my injectors (not the firing order...) so that I know which cylinder had a bad one.
12.jpg

Now. I've sent mine for a full check and service where they first off will be checking flow and spray image. Then taking them apart, clean them up, replace filters and o-rings, check flow and spray image before sending them back. But there are plenty of guides how you can rather easily clean them with carb-cleaner and check spray image yourself.
The benefits with professional equipment, is that it's able to pulse the injectors at different frequencies and make an exact measurement of how much each injector spray in a given time. That will tell you if you have bad injector, even though it looks like it's spraying good.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Very well written write up and in perfect English to. :D

Thanks for taking the time to do this there's not much on here in a mechanical how too sense so this is very welcome! ? ?

Excellent write up, I am sure in future it will be appreciated by 1.4 petrol members.

One comment. I am a 1.6 owner and regards fuel spillage the official advice is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and run the engine to reduce fuel line pressure. Monitor pressure with VCDS and turn off ignition when pressure drops to 6 bar or without VCDS just when it sounds it is going to stall I guess. Wondered if something similiar is possible that might help with the 1.4?

Andy

Last edited:
Great write up! One possible alternative to air box would be intake plenum ;-)

Simon.

Back