Removing double DIN Audi symphony stereo?

Un4tural

Hello All,

I am having a bit of a struggle, getting the feeling i either have the wrong keys - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361686925435 or something is broken/not clicking. Can feel these catch, but some of the keys just slide out when pulled with any force at all (not to mention the damn tin key things are like handling sharp bits of an open food tin!).

My understanding is with keys in place the stereo should slide out with fairly low resistance?

Want to add a bluetooth receiver to the CD changer pins (It can house 6cds already, no boot changer). Maybe swap out for something newer later down the line but not a priority currently, as cassette to aux seem to only do right channel...

I found that anything other than the official Audi keys can make life difficult, even some of the most expensive ones don't work.

I had a similar problem with an RNS-D Unit, and it was only after visiting my local Audi Dealer and ordering the proper ones that I got it out. These worked first time.

I can't remember the part number I'm afraid, but they were only about £8.00 even from Audi.

Best of luck!

Just checking you've got the basics right
For reference these are the genuine Audi keys - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...802002&hash=item35e3b6f13a:g:yK0AAOSwDk5ULW0R

The shape of your keys are not too different so they should work.
Assume you have 4 and using the Audi ones as a reference, the pointy bit of each handle needs to face outwards. They should all click in and lock in place. Tug the top then the bottom pair in turn and alternate when some movement is felt in the first set
Double DIn units can be very tight.
Once the radio is partly out, to remove the keys, press in the side tabs on the radio at each key position
Apologies if you know this already

Cheers Spike

Just checking you've got the basics right
For reference these are the genuine Audi keys - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...802002&hash=item35e3b6f13a:g:yK0AAOSwDk5ULW0R

The shape of your keys are not too different so they should work.
Assume you have 4 and using the Audi ones as a reference, the pointy bit of each handle needs to face outwards. They should all click in and lock in place. Tug the top then the bottom pair in turn and alternate when some movement is felt in the first set
Double DIn units can be very tight.
Once the radio is partly out, to remove the keys, press in the side tabs on the radio at each key position
Apologies if you know this already

Cheers Spike

No worries at all it is re-assuring i was doing it correctly, it seems keys give up and release before i get any movement though!. Top right slides out really easily which is a bit concerning, though i do hear it click when i insert it. Will give it another bash as picked up a set of 3 way looking keys for Audi (3 different ended ones).

Hope i wont need to go Hulk on the damn thing! :(

For each pair, you may need to hold the keys angled outwards from each other to keep the notches engaged as you pull. Maybe use a couple of long screwdrivers through the handles to do all four together?

It may be that your keys are not optimum for the RNS-D. It looks like the notch on the key which should "catch" so you can pull on the keys is rounded on your keys. The notch on Spike's keys and mine are squared, so that they lock (and need to be released once the unit is out).
I got this kit, and it works well, the Audi keys are the set of 4, third from left. Your key looks more like the one fourth from the left...

It may be that your keys are not optimum for the RNS-D. It looks like the notch on the key which should "catch" so you can pull on the keys is rounded on your keys. The notch on Spike's keys and mine are squared, so that they lock (and need to be released once the unit is out).
I got this kit, and it works well, the Audi keys are the set of 4, third from left. Your key looks more like the one fourth from the left...

It is Symphony 2 i believe that is fitted - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122732597844 same as this one.

That set of keys seem to be brought up every time i ran a search, but having doubts as they don't quite free the stereo unit.

If you're getting SOME movement then I found doing a little each side helped. If there is no movement and the keys just keep slipping out I'd repeat my suggestion of just investing the £8 for the genuine Audi ones.

Or if the keys are thin enough, unlock the top and use all 4 keys in the bottom doubling them up to make them stiffer. Will only work if you can get them in the slots on the front of the stereo. The thin ones tend to wobble inside the locks and pop out either above or below, so keep them dead centered, also try pushing the stereo into the dash as you located the keys to take the pressure off the locks. Can you remove the climate panel below the stereo and push from the rear?

Or if the keys are thin enough, unlock the top and use all 4 keys in the bottom doubling them up to make them stiffer. Will only work if you can get them in the slots on the front of the stereo. The thin ones tend to wobble inside the locks and pop out either above or below, so keep them dead centered, also try pushing the stereo into the dash as you located the keys to take the pressure off the locks. Can you remove the climate panel below the stereo and push from the rear?

To be honest I couldn't figure out how to remove the air con gracefully without taking stereo out first, easy with single din dash but just couldn't wobble it out as nothing to grip to overcome the power of clips.

Will give it another play hopefully can get somewhere

Just don't lever against the edge of the consol as you will mark it. What about removing the ash tray?

Just don't lever against the edge of the consol as you will mark it. What about removing the ash tray?

Neither will come out without first taking the stereo out, unless you fancy taking the whole centre trim of the car out ...

To be honest I couldn't figure out how to remove the air con gracefully without taking stereo out first, easy with single din dash but just couldn't wobble it out as nothing to grip to overcome the power of clips.

Will give it another play hopefully can get somewhere
Did anyone manage to release the aircon panel? I've removed the stereo but can figure how the climate panel is secured. There's a loose screw behind somewhere driving me crazy every time I make a turn.

It's just been done by another member this afternoon. Not nearly as easy on double-DIN dashboards as it is on single-DIN. My advice is to locate the upper spring clips on the climate panel and use flathead screwdrivers on them from behind to push them back in, while you tug on the back of the unit.

It's just been done by another member this afternoon. Not nearly as easy on double-DIN dashboards as it is on single-DIN. My advice is to locate the upper spring clips on the climate panel and use flathead screwdrivers on them from behind to push them back in, while you tug on the back of the unit.

This is pretty much how mine cam out, using far too much force than I felt comfortable with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty much how mine cam out, using far too much force than I felt comfortable with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've ordered and waiting for the recommended keys to arrive as the cheapo ebay ones just wont catch - couple do come out really easily which makes me worried mine might be stuck and i'll need a chainsaw to get it out.

Need to go investigate what bluetooth doodle can i hook it up to easily too that doesn't break the bank.

Ordered set recommended by @Valpen and stereo did come out with minimal struggle - seems that clips on right hand side (when facing it) of the stereo keep slipping off the groove on the key but with little wiggling it came out alright.

Seems google lied about the keys i required for the stereo removal. it is definitely the ones from set pointed by Valpen, keys google/ebay bring up are labeled as mercedes on the key set ordered.

The latch that the keys release are a little higher than the entry point in the facia. Put a slight upward bend about halfway along each key, so the wedge end is about 5mm higher (like a banana). Then, as you slide it in, keeping the bit you're holding level, the wedge end will be in the centre of the latch. Make sure, before doing anything, that you have them the right way round (left & right). Once you've got the HU out, look at how the latch mechanism works. Once you have, it all makes sense (well, it did to me ...). Mac.

The latch that the keys release are a little higher than the entry point in the facia. Put a slight upward bend about halfway along each key, so the wedge end is about 5mm higher (like a banana). Then, as you slide it in, keeping the bit you're holding level, the wedge end will be in the centre of the latch. Make sure, before doing anything, that you have them the right way round (left & right). Once you've got the HU out, look at how the latch mechanism works. Once you have, it all makes sense (well, it did to me ...). Mac.

I'll snap a picture when i remove it again as i do agree if you see how it works the work becomes a lot easier - the latch on left side was perfectly fine but right hand site it kept slipping off the key seemed almost as if it was bent but upon inspection it seemed to be fine.

Just resurrecting an old thread as this is relevant to what I’m doing. I made the mistake of buying a cheap and nasty set of keys on amazon to help me remove my RNS-E before doing my homework on the forum. Try as I might, although I can feel the spring resistance, I can’t get them to click into place and they come out without any force at all, this is the same on all 4 corners. They don’t look quite the right shape to me...
E5EE4AD0-B8DE-4B20-81EB-E57FA5A31EF3.jpeg

The ones on the how-to video I found on YouTube have a much more pronounced angular notch...
C98E2A7A-0968-486F-B15E-DBED38C7F80F.jpeg

So, could anybody point me at a good set of keys? The links further up the thread are dead now, and entering part number T10057 into eBay brings up stuff that definitely isn’t genuine. Or, failing that, would anybody be kind enough to loan me some keys, as I only need to do this once as I’m replacing it with a pioneer HU?

Finally this might be a really dumb question but if the keys do engage properly, is it easy enough to remove them without having the stereo out? I’m worried that I might not be able to get all 4 keys in, in which case I’ll be stuffed and will need professional help which probably won’t be available for a very long time.

Last edited:
Back