Removing hub nuts - not A2

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
Not an A2 but my VW Transporter T25. The hub nuts are 46mm castle nuts which appear to be put on by Superman.

Spec is 500nm but I have done all manner of silly things to tr6 and free them with no success including: jack under the breaker bar end; axle stand under the breaker bar and dropping the van onto it; extension on breaker bar and about 30stone jumping on it; metal chisel trying to drift it round; reversing the van onto the bar - all fails.

Stupid alloy prevents good grip. Anyone got some spare camper wheels?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You've put on a fair bit of weight since I saw you. ? Probably not going to help though what length is your breaker? Did you soak the nut in the days leading up to attempted removal? I missed the 'stupid alloy' issue, what is it?

Not an A2 but my VW Transporter T25. The hub nuts are 46mm castle nuts which appear to be put on by Superman.

Spec is 500nm but I have done all manner of silly things to tr6 and free them with no success including: jack under the breaker bar end; axle stand under the breaker bar and dropping the van onto it; extension on breaker bar and about 30stone jumping on it; metal chisel trying to drift it round; reversing the van onto the bar - all fails.

May be worth applying a bit of heat, and checking the rotation of the nut ....

Just a thought look at the corners of the nut & see if they have nickes out of them as this indicates a left hand thread can’t really see why but worth a quick look ,
Failing that 1” drive socket & brakerbar may help do you have a friendly truck fitter ?
As they may be able to help.

Keith

Thank you!

The socket is 3/4 and cost £18!

It was me and a friend bouncing on the pole - he’s a bit bigger.

The alloy isn’t the original wheel - they let the hub nut protrude but the alloy means the nut is seated in a little well so I only get about 1cm of contact in the socket. It was suggested that I get an original steel wheel and put that on but it’s getting silly expensive.

My friend has now convinced me to send it to the garage and let them deal with the problem with proper tools and kit before I hurt myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a job you'll need to do again in the future a torque multiplier could be the answer. This shows a 1" drive model but 3/4" versions are available -

They are not cheap but no doubt there are Chinese copies available if you look hard enough

Cheers Spike

One advantage of owning a 1.2Tdi - only 30nm (+ Loctite) for the drive shaft nut!

RAB

If it's a job you'll need to do again in the future a torque multiplier could be the answer. This shows a 1" drive model but 3/4" versions are available -

They are not cheap but no doubt there are Chinese copies available if you look hard enough

Cheers Spike

Now that is a cool piece of hardware. About £30 for an eBay special.

I don’t think the hub nuts as they are protrude sufficiently to lock the device against - they are similarly sunk into the alloy. I could brace it against the exposed stud, maybe with an extender, but I think the stud will snap before the hub nut moves.

I’ve emailed the garage to admit defeat. Arranging recovery now.

I did this getting one of the nuts off my TDi90. I had a wacking great breaker bar and was lifting the front wheel off the ground at the time. Granted it's not a Snap-On tool, but I'd had that for many years without breaking it. In the end I was lent a 6 point deep socket impact spec from a truck mechanic, but it did take a further two days worth of Plus Gas before it finally let go.

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_154038.jpg
    IMG_20170506_154038.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
Yikes! I’ve only snapped one adaptor piece and chewed up one socket so far but I’m calling it quits. Before I die.

With a torque multiplier, the alloy wheel could be removed and the hub supported on blocks or an axle stand as most of the forces would be axial and not trying to rip the suspension off the car as they tend to when using extra long breaker bars

Cheers Spike

I'm with Ian, I have had a 6ft scaffolding tube for 30+ years now, it never failed me taking the drive shaft nuts of Audi 80 / 90 / 100 in the day, they where locktited on and stupidly tight. I did however wreck a few breaker bars, till I bought a snap on one, that bar can take abuse in bucket loads

best of luck
just a thought, you are trying to undo it and not tighten it :)

I also have 6' scaffolding pole I have used occasionally over the decades for the really stubborn nuts. Just love the word, it's a putlog.

Andy

Lefty loosey...

The scaff bar sounds great but the socket grip isn’t great and kept slipping when I tried my 1m extension bar.

I’ve ordered new nuts and will let the garage get it off this first time and hopefully I’ll manage in the future.

Thanks Spike - I hadn’t thought of taking off the wheel. Too focussed on the need to have the grip with no handbrake.

I couldn’t resist Spike’s wisdom and ordered one for next time from The Bay (irony?).

I couldn’t resist Spike’s wisdom and ordered one for next time from The Bay (irony?).

You' would need to have someone with their foot heavily on the brake, otherwise all the load will be on a few gear teeth, with inevitable results!

RAB

Back