Removing the front wing - question

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I've searched the forum but cannot find an answer.

1 .To remove the front wing is it necessary to remove the side sills?

2. To remove the 2 bolts inside the door: can this be done with the door on (i.e. just opened)

3. Once the wing is off, does the lower black parts easily detach or are they moulded with the wing.

4. What is the paint name / code for the black sills - it looks like a piano black - i.e. deep mirror gloss.

Thanks

From this manual how to remove wing, does not state door needs to be removed as long as you can access them nor the side sills unless its a votex then that will have to come off the side and front.

Audi Workshop Manuals
[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]

A2
Body > General body repairs, exterior > Body front > Body - front > Wing panel (front) - exploded view

Wing panel (front) - exploded view
a2-762.png

1 - Guide
2 - Bolt with washer
q 4 Nm
3 - Hexagon bolt
q 4 Nm
4 - Flange bolt
q Screw in or out as required for lateral adjustment.
q When tightening the nuts, use an Allen key to secure the flange bolts to prevent them turning.
5 - Bolt with washer
q 4 Nm
6 - Hexagon nut
q 4 Nm
7 - Bolt with washer
q 4 Nm
8 - Wing panel
q Removing:
– Remove bumper → Chapter.
– Remove wheel housing liner → Chapter.
– Unscrew bolts → Item, → Item and → Item.
– Unscrew nuts → Item and → Item.
– Detach wing from brackets on A-pillar.

Body > General body repairs, exterior > Body front > Body - front > Wing panel (front) - exploded view
[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]
So item 8 above. Although does not mention remember disconnect or remove side repeater indicator...
I believe the lower black part that wraps around the bottom of the front bumper is a part of the wing. Pretty sure only the rear arches are detachable .
Paint codes unfortunately can't help you there but someone will be along with the knowledge to answer you.

here is same manual to remove front bumper

Audi Workshop Manuals
[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]

A2
Body > General body repairs, exterior > Bumper > Front bumper > Removing and installing front bumper - exploded view

Removing and installing front bumper - exploded view
a2-880.png

1 - Cover
q Removing:
– Detach wheel housing liner (front)
– Remove self-tapping screws → Item and → Item.
– Press pins of spreader rivets in so that they engage. Do NOT press in further.
– Do NOT press pin through completely.
– Pull out spreader rivet.
– Unclip sides of cover at left and right from wing panel → Fig..
– Detach cover from vehicle towards the front.
2 - Hexagon bolt
q 4 Nm
3 - Reinforcement bar
q Before removing, detach cover → Item.
q Unscrew hexagon bolts → Item and detach reinforcement bar.
4 - Spreader rivets (5x)
q To remove, do not press locking pins through completely, but only far enough for them to engage.
q Pull out spreader rivet with locking pin.
q If a pin has been pressed through completely, carefully blow it out of reinforcement bar towards the side.
5 - Bolt with washer
q 23 Nm
6 - Cross member
q Before removing, detach cover → Item.
q Unscrew hexagon bolt → Item and detach cross member.
7 - Self-tapping screws (10x)
q 1.5 Nm
8 - Trim panel for fog lights
q Unclip on inner side of vehicle and detach → Fig..
q When installing, slide on at outer side of vehicle and press on at inside.
9 - Self-tapping screw (3x)
q 1.5 Nm
10 - Air intake grille
q Removing → Fig..

Unclipping cover from wing panel
– To remove cover -1-, unscrew Torx bolts -2-.
– Release retainer -arrow-, working from engine compartment side. Then push cover out towards the side.
– Detach cover from vehicle towards the front.
a2-881.png

Removing trim for fog light
– Use screwdriver to release retainers -arrows- on trim panel.
– First pull trim panel off on inner side of vehicle, then detach it from cover towards the side.
– When installing, you must hear retainers engage on inner side of vehicle.
a2-882.png

Removing air intake grille
l Side trim panels are removed.
– To remove, press retainers -arrows- together section by section and then detach air intake grille from cover.
a2-883.png

I don't see how you can undo the two lower bolts with the sill cover in place, I'm almost sure I removed it to get the wing off
It is easier to get the bolts undone with the door removed and only takes 5 mins to remove it and same to refit it
The lower black rubber strip as a self taping screw at each end and is attached with double sided foam tape, plus the screw at each end
Sorry I can't help on the black paint colour (I painted mine the same silver as the rest of the A2, much nicer look)

Thanks guys for a fast response. Manual pages very helpful.

Any others have thoughts about the need to remove the sills? - the manual pages make no mention.

I'm having the nearside corner painted, both bumper and wing were scraped. The guy doing it wants to remove the bumper which will give a better finish I think (he has an oven) but if removing the wing needs to have the sill removed then the likelihood is the top sill cover will break so I'm thinking is it worth the risk? On the other hand, spraying the wing in situ requires more masking up.

Back