Replace Blaupunkt Singel Din Navigator with Concert II

steaman

A2OC Donor
I will replace a Blaupunkt Single Din Navigator with a Concert II head unit. First I was thinking of adding an RNS-E but given the small screen and the low position it will not offer much value to me except HF.

Today I am missing the Radio station presentation in the DIS and would like to know if that will be presented with a Concert II head unit?

I will secure that the correct signals according to the picture are connected.
FIS.jpg

Data displayed on the DIS is supplied via the CAN BUS.
All CAN head units will provide the station/aux info to the cluster - there is either a fault within the Concert II or the wiring/connectors may be suspect.
A quick scan or trace with a multi-meter will help identify the issue.

As another thought, I take it the car is correctly coded?

blue skies

tony

Thanks, you answered my question, I will get Radio Station displayed in DIS after I have installed the Concert II and made the CanBus wiring if not already present.

Maybe my post was a bit vague, my A2 was delivered with a Chorus I or II. When I bought it, it had a Blaupunkt Travelpilot E1 Navigator with no CanBus connection. I now want to retrofit a Concert II as I think it is the best fit for the car. RNS-E does not impress me.

Maybe my post was a bit vague, my A2 was delivered with a Chorus I or II.

I'm guessing you're talking about your 2003 FSI. If so, it will not have been shipped with a Chorus I, as those were phased out in mid/late 2001. If it had a cassette player with two control knobs (one to either side of the display), then it was a Chorus II. This is of great importance because the Chorus II was controlled over CAN, meaning the wiring should already be in place. If the car had DIS from the factory, then the CAN wires behind the stereo will already be part of the correct CAN network for the station display function to work properly.
You're looking for two wires as a pair: one is orange with a purple stripe, the other is orange with a brown stripe.

I now want to retrofit a Concert II as I think it is the best fit for the car. RNS-E does not impress me.

I could not agree with you more! The Concert II is the head unit of choice to my mind. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Sounds good.
Yes, it was produced in 2002-12-03 and delivered with DIS and Chorus. The Audi Production spec. does not specify if it was Chorus I or II but given the production date it must have been II. :eek:

The Concert layout and MMI is far better than the one on the Travelpilot. And an outdated Navigator, with a display smaller than your phone display is of no use if you have a phone with Google maps and 4G.

I bought a second hand Concert 2 from Germany on Ebay and installed it today but the speakers are completely silent.
Could the coding of the head unit be the reason?

Digit 3: Number of passive speakers
0 = No passive speakers (Bose)
1 = Front left (Bose with hands-free phone)
2 = Fronts passive, rears active
5 = Fronts passive, rears non-active

Digit 4:Sound System
0 = standard
1 = Bose

I will connect VCDS tomorrow but I am curious if could be the reason?

I bought a second hand Concert 2 from Germany on Ebay and installed it today but the speakers are completely silent.
Could the coding of the head unit be the reason?

Digit 3: Number of passive speakers
0 = No passive speakers (Bose)
1 = Front left (Bose with hands-free phone)
2 = Fronts passive, rears active
5 = Fronts passive, rears non-active

Digit 4:Sound System
0 = standard
1 = Bose

I will connect VCDS tomorrow but I am curious if could be the reason?

Hi,

I would bet that it is just the coding of the headunit as you say.

I played around with the settings on mine and it went silent.

I think it is your Digit 3 setting (it was on mine) I have the Audi Bluetooth phone installation and selected 1 and that caused it to go silent.
I can't remember which one sorted it though. So have a play with the settings.

Steve B

To set the signal to passive speakers is tried to code the Radio with the VCDS.
Next problem, the Radio unit does not respond when I try to access it with VCDS. Any tips.

The DIS displays selected channel which indicate data channel exist. Is VCDS using the same or other wires?
unnamed (1).jpg
Looks like I have CAN-H and CAN-L connected.

Is is possible to change the Speaker settings in the Concert 2 without VCDS access like any hidden menues?

The answer is Yes. I found it disconnected and isolated and the connection is fixed.
I also found a retrofitted wire connected to Pin 1 BOSE. I have to trace it and see if there is an amplifier between the speakers and the head unit.

Is there anyone who knows which code to use for the Radio without amplifier, CD mag, and only front speakers?

Hi Steaman,

Yes, the K-line connection is needed for VCDS. Hopefully you've found this hanging somewhere and have connected it to the correct position in the black 8-pin connector.

In order to help any more, I need to know some details about the spec' of your car. Do you have Bose? Do you have the diversity antenna control box in the boot, to the right of the battery?

Cheers,

Tom

K-line fixed!
I also found a retrofitted wire connected to Pin 1 BOSE. I have to trace it and see if there is an amplifier between the speakers and the head unit.
Diversity Antenna? I have this connected:
31jw3iw7sUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is that the power supply to the Antenna amplifier?

There is a wire connected to pin #5 that I believe feed the antenna amplifier. Se picture:
2.jpg
The White wire must be an antenna power supply
1.jpg
It is connected to pin #5 (the pin between U+ and K-bus) that seems to be undefined in the Wiring diagram on the Concert head unit, se next photo.

Concert II Wiring label.jpg

According to the Blaupunkt Travelpilot Wiring diagram this pin, #5, is power supply to an electric antenna.

Om pin #1 (BOSE) is another white wire that according to the Blaupunkt Travelpilot Wiring diagram should be GALA.

Now I have two questions:
1) The Power supply to the antenna power amplifier must be mover from Pin #5 to Pin # ?

2) Should the Concert II unit have a GALA signal? If yes where should it be connected?

I solved it myself! The Blaupunkt has GALA on pin 1 where Concert II has the BOSE signal. After I cut the GALA signal everything worked.

As I am just about to exchange my Sony aftermarket unit to a Concert 2, I read this old thread with interest. Do you remember if you kept the external antenna amplifier? I guess it could complicate things if the concert has one too, built in?

As I am just about to exchange my Sony aftermarket unit to a Concert 2, I read this old thread with interest. Do you remember if you kept the external antenna amplifier? I guess it could complicate things if the concert has one too, built in?
I don't think the Concert/Chorus has an antenna amp, just provides the supply to one. The whole point of an antenna amp is that it is fitted close to the antenna. If it's not very close, it will amplify the noise/interference picked up in the cable, so worse than not having one.
Mac.

I don't think the Concert/Chorus has an antenna amp, just provides the supply to one. The whole point of an antenna amp is that it is fitted close to the antenna. If it's not very close, it will amplify the noise/interference picked up in the cable, so worse than not having one.
Mac.
Thanks, you are of course right. I should have written Antenna amplifier feed.

Thanks, you are of course right. I should have written Antenna amplifier feed.
And the Concert Chorus has that, via the coax cable, between screen and inner, centre cable.
Most aftermarket antenna amps use a separate feed, but the signal output from these antenna amps is decoupled by a capacitor, so the supply on the coax will do no harm.
Mac.

Hello, sorry to ask, but I would like to replace an old Chrous (first series) radio/cassette with a later Concert CD/radio not because I want the CD but because I'm waiting to have my Concert cassette/CD repaired (usual volume issues) and I'm trying to get a better reception than the Chorus I'm using now. I've tried it on my FSI but it doesn't work. My FSI is a 2003 car so a (I think) a pre-CANBUS car whose wiring has been butchered by previous owners so probably I'd need an adaptor, but I noticed that the Concert does not have a cable attached to the chassis as the first Chorus (I think it's a grounding connection but I don't have the schematics so I'm just guessing) , and I'm wondering if the round connector in the Concert (circled in red) is another ground. If it is an equivalent of the grounding cable of the first Chorus I would attach one cable to it and give it a try...just asking! Thanks

Stefano
Chorus-Concert.jpg

Last edited:
Back