Replacement intercooler options

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Noticed when putting my under tray back on a couple of weeks back that I'm beginning to see oil on the bottom of the intercooler - as always once you fix something then another issue makes itself known.

Now I know that the Timmus option is a potential but I'm looking at options only right now. Is there any difference with non-OEM or are they all much of a muchness - ie all destined to fail?

I'm reckoning the current one has done at least 50-60k if not more and if I'm honest I'd be happy with that if it comes to it.

All the intercoolers have the folded over end caps unless you buy an all alloy one. Choice is yours as it will be the same labour to change old one for either type. Only thing to watch for is the small pipe at the bottom of the intercooler. Some have been found with this pipe fitting bored out. THIS IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE A2 as nothing fits onto it so must be sealed. If you buy one and you can blow through this fitting immediately return it.

I replaced with an NRF one from auto doc (gave vin no. to confirm fitment), very cheap and it looks identical to the original part. Not too sure on longevity but it's done 20k miles and 2 years so far. It's definitly a DIY job too so it should be a cheap fix.
The timmus options looks amazing, but for me I couldn't justify the cost unfortunately as you could buy 8-10 normal intercoolers for the price of one.

Last edited:
I replaced with an NRF one from auto doc (gave vin no. to confirm fitment), very cheap and it looks identical to the original part. Not too sure on longevity but it's done 20k miles and 2 years so far. It's definitly a DIY job too so it should be a cheap fix.
The timmus options looks amazing, but for me I couldn't justify the cost unfortunately as you could buy 8-10 normal intercoolers for the price of one.

Yup alas much as I admire the work that Tom and Pro Alloy have done here I just cant see the price if I do this DIY - I can see it for sure if it was being fitted by the likes of WOM for instance.

Is it worth changing the MAP sensor at the same time? I'm assuming not as in the ATL its on the pipe rather than the intercooler itself...

Yeah I didn’t change it when doing my ATL as had no fault codes/ issues with running. The replacement intercooler came with a blank plate covering the sensor on the unit itself, so it’s a straight swap. Not sure if it’s good practice to change the map sensor as a matter of course though.

Is it worth changing the MAP sensor at the same time? I'm assuming not as in the ATL its on the pipe rather than the intercooler itself...
You may end up having no choice;

As your car is a 90 the MAP is on the inlet pipe running in front of the engine. All replacement intercoolers come with a blank on the intercooler MAP sensor location ( smaller size MAP ) so that is left alone. MAP sensors are quite cheap but unless you have a MAP issue leave it alone. But if you are going to replace it get an OEM that has the information printed on the plastic. The cheaper ones without this printing on the cap are not very reliable and can blow this cap off the sensor!

No plans to replace and as you say its on the pipe - I'll leave well alone unless I need to change...been buying too much of late on a "just in case basis" and have a stockpile of stuff I dont need!

I can see the NRF intercooler for under £60 on ebay so may well go for that.

All the intercoolers have the folded over end caps unless you buy an all alloy one. Choice is yours as it will be the same labour to change old one for either type. Only thing to watch for is the small pipe at the bottom of the intercooler. Some have been found with this pipe fitting bored out. THIS IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE A2 as nothing fits onto it so must be sealed. If you buy one and you can blow through this fitting immediately return it.

I've got one with the small pipe at the bottom of the intercooler and is bored/open. A piece of suitable hose blanked off with a bolt and some clamps will do the trick......

You should have returned it, not just added bits to blank it off.

Oh, sorry...... Guess it's too late now! Then again I don't see any harm in blanking it off myself but I understand now it's not done (?) to do so.
Well if it goes wrong (the intercooler that is) I will shame myself and cry myself to sleep.

Please be wise and do not use incorrect intercoolers! (so that's fixed!).

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with blanking off the tube with a suitable compression fitting.

RAB

Wasn't trying to shame you. The issue is if someone buys one of the intercoolers that has the port opened, they might not know and wonder why they had boost loss or oil pouring out the bottom of the intercooler. It is down to companies not knowing or caring about the A2 application.

OK there may be nothing wrong if the user suitably blanks off this port. Point is it is sold AS IS AND WITHOUT INSTRUCTION TO BLANK THIS PORT.
There must be another vehicle that uses the same intercooler and this port open. It would be a minimal cost for them to supply instructios or even better if the port is already opened then a suitable pressure blank.

Wasn't trying to shame you. The issue is if someone buys one of the intercoolers that has the port opened, they might not know and wonder why they had boost loss or oil pouring out the bottom of the intercooler. It is down to companies not knowing or caring about the A2 application.

OK there may be nothing wrong if the user suitably blanks off this port. Point is it is sold AS IS AND WITHOUT INSTRUCTION TO BLANK THIS PORT.
There must be another vehicle that uses the same intercooler and this port open. It would be a minimal cost for them to supply instructios or even better if the port is already opened then a suitable pressure blank.

It's alright. My itching starts a little bit when people are put in fear for things which can be solved or don't have to be afraid for, it's my problem and not always convenient, sorry.

Next question is now; which vehicle uses this same (almost....) intercooler too? I would really want to know!

Given the NRF I've just received does not appear to have the small pipe at the bottom then I dont need to be concerned?

That is great, no pipe no problem. Hopefully it came with the blank fitted to the MAP sensor location. That can be left alone for your 90. Have a good check of the folded over metal flanges to make sure there are no signs of damage as this is the area they crack then blow the seal out of.

Yes blanking plate in place - visually looks good.Thanks for steer lets see how I get on with fitment but it looks like the biggest hassle is really just removing the bumper.

Back