Reputation box

riverlad

A2OC Donor
I have noticed that we now have a reputation box under username.

What's it all about and what dose it signify?

Cheers

David

Reactions: chb
There is also a little * symbol on the bottom left line of the post (the same bar which has reply etc on the right). If you click on that, you can say 'approve / disapprove', and I think that modifies your reputation bar. Perhaps its a bit like the 'Danke' button on the German forum.

The documentation is here:
https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/reputation
User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a divisive element of your forum so great care should be taken before a decision is made to enable it.

All of the factors that affect a user's reputation score are found in the User Reputation section of the vBulletin Options. Please view that section of the manual for more information on controlling how users are able to affect another user's reputation.

Having been a mod on forums with similar voting systems, I would suggest that possibly it may be better if the 'negative' reputation option is disabled (at least from public view) - people get extremely upset if they get a negative vote, and it tends to add fuel to flame wars. Keep it positive :) (Although I can't see a way to only permit positive votes in the documentation, perhaps this isn't available).

-- Edit:

Reputation votes show up in your notifications area. So I really really think it should only allow positive votes.

Last edited:
Reputation votes show up in your notifications area. So I really really think it should only allow positive votes

Hi Mike,

Our forum is setup so that users cannot leave negative reputation.

I wanted to introduce a way for members to show their appreciation of other users here. We'll monitor how it gets used in practice.

Ben

Back