Retrofit kit?!?

read the news from 2001 and you'll see. It was a recall to do with power issues IIRC.

Bret
So the plastic thing must be a cover to the starter motor due to this recall:

Recall Details
Concern : ELECTRICAL FIRE
Description : Air conditioner components may come into contact with the starter motor in a frontal collision. This could result in a short circuit and an electrical fire.
Remedial Action : Recall vehicles to fit a protective cover to the starter motor.

But there is a metal thing that appears to be from the gearbox, and i couldn't find any recall regarding the gearbox.

this is the piece of plastic I was fighting with last night. It covers the terminals of the starter motor to stop them being crushed against the body of the car in the face of a collision. It was a recall back in 2001 IIRC and seems to be fitted to cars from 2002 onwards. The reason being fire protection as there's such a massive cable from the battery to the front of the car.

The metal is just the counterweight for the gearbox linkage mech.

- Bret

Well there you have it folks, if your early A2 hasn't had the recall, I would think about buying this.

Amazing that firstly, this kit has popped up on eBay - I doubt there's many of them sat around on dusty shelves around the country anymore - and secondly, that googling the part number reveals that yes, there is a thread for that on A2OC (of course).

Back