Rinner: OpenSky Service Tips

The OpenSky System:

The photo below shows exactly which assembly is new. The OpenSky System has 4 pieces of glass, the middle two of which open. The two glass panels which open are taken from the broken system. Everything else is new.

Spike had a few questions about the OpenSky System and its maintenance.

While your car is in for repair could you ask the guys about the best way to keep the Open Sky in good condition -
- The lubricants they use
- How to look after the seals etc.
- What to do with the cables and tracks (which are not really accessible)
- Any mods to do on a roof which is working ok to make it last longer
- Do they plan to offer an exchange service for failed roofs which are over 10 year old.

If you get chance, ask them to demonstrate the clean and lube procedure on your new roof.... so you can tell us all how to do it when you get back.

We all have our own ideas but it would be great if we could get some practical tips from the experts.

Cheers Spike

There is just one lubricant used for everything: G-000-450-02

The servicing procedure goes as follows:
All the old lubricant is removed from the tracks with a cloth. The roof is closed and opened twice in an effort to pull out as much of the old lubricant from the inaccessible areas, each time removing it with a cloth. New lubricant is then applied copiously in the accessible sections of the track and once again the roof is opened and closed twice to get the new lube into the inaccessible areas.
The seals are also maintained with this same lubricant. The lube is applied thinly to all the seals; the rubber seal which runs the perimeter of the mechanism as well as the seals around the edges of each glass panel. The lube is then allowed to sit on the seals for 15 minutes or so before it is worked into the rubber with fingers, keeping the seals hydrated and supple. Any excess is then wiped off.

The OpenSky System which Rinner fit is an updated model to that which was fitted during the A2’s production. Audi have learnt from the multiple failures and redesigned all the components which were prone to failure. The vast majority of these were plastic parts which are now simply made of metal instead. Herr Thomas was confident that the new system would be significantly more reliable. Unless you’re able to have the plastic parts remanufactured out of metal, there is no way of modifying an existing, working OSS in an effort to make it last longer. Following the maintenance routine outlined above is all that Herr Thomas could suggest.

Whether Audi plan to offer an exchange service for failed roofs which are over 10 year old I'm afraid I do not know. I felt I had already taken up enough of Herr Thomas' time and so left this question unanswered. I'm sure a quick phone call could clear this up.

Last edited:
No problem! I was lucky that Audi Rinner were happy for me to take my SLR into their workshop. :)

Tom

I recently cleaned out the drain channels on my OSS.

I used a cable tie which I had to hand, 380mm long x 7mm wide. It proved to be excellent for the purpose because the "teeth" dragged out the gunk from the drain channels. It is long enough to protrude from both the rear and front drain channels, beneath the fixed glass panels: the profile is also ideal for cleaning the drains at either side of the tailgate gutter.

Andrew

Last edited:
Happy to be the catalyst @andrewparkeruk

I serviced the OSS on mine today with the exception of the drain channels, as I've to get my hands on some of those ultra long cable ties!

I used Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care to clean as much as I could, then used a sprayable silicone lubricant on anything that moved within the system. Once I acquire some silicone grease I'll remove the old stuff and freshen it up.

Definitely will be making a point of doing this yearly.

Back