RNS-E Fitment

A2on18's

I have been fortunate enough to have bought one of these this afternoon and thought I’d plug it in to see it working even though I don’t yet have the double din dash installed

I’m guess I need some sort of block adapter as the OEM wiring is different to the RNS-E. I know that this fits into an A2 as I believe it was originally owned by @Birchall

I think I’ll also need an ariel adapter too. I have the DAB antenna

Image of the unit being removed and the replacement below

dd0a9184ff5ca0e28de5e8d52d725304.jpg

76fbe74775d571f9e82482b4c33583aa.jpg

Any help very much appreciated

I have been fortunate enough to have bought one of these this afternoon and thought I’d plug it in to see it working even though I don’t yet have the double din dash installed

I’m guess I need some sort of block adapter as the OEM wiring is different to the RNS-E. I know that this fits into an A2 as I believe it was originally owned by @Birchall

I think I’ll also need an ariel adapter too. I have the DAB antenna

Image of the unit being removed and the replacement below

dd0a9184ff5ca0e28de5e8d52d725304.jpg

76fbe74775d571f9e82482b4c33583aa.jpg

Any help very much appreciated
Steve,

Have a chat with Bart at VAG Retrofits, let him know you’re a member of the A2OC and he will give you a discount. He will be able to also provide the GPS antenna and aerial adapter as a kit. Feel free to use the mobile number on the Contact Us page linked above, with text or WhatsApp.

Just let him know what head unit you currently have along with if you do or don’t have Bose.

Kind regards,

Tom

That’s really helpful, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem at all Steve,

After being in contact with Bart for some time now he is happy to pass on the discounts I receive to the whole Club.

It’s the very same person who done the straight swap of RNS-E Fascias after my recent purchase that had the curved TT fascia. I believe him to be the only online supplier of the items you need.

Cheaper (only slightly) alternatives are available but of course you get what you pay for. You’ll find some of his offerings available on eBay but cheaper going direct plus you’lol get the discount.

If you need any further assistance just ask but the attached PDF should give you all thats required.

Kind regards,

Tom

Attachments

• Symphony II to RNS-E retrofit.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 313
No problem at all Steve,

After being in contact with Bart for some time now he is happy to pass on the discounts I receive to the whole Club.

It’s the very same person who done the straight swap of RNS-E Fascias after my recent purchase that had the curved TT fascia. I believe him to be the only online supplier of the items you need.

Cheaper (only slightly) alternatives are available but of course you get what you pay for. You’ll find some of his offerings available on eBay but cheaper going direct plus you’lol get the discount.

If you need any further assistance just ask but the attached PDF should give you all thats required.

Kind regards,

Tom

I had found the kit he offers for the install on eBay so will drop him a message tomorrow on your link, happy to pay the price and save him the seller fees ??
Thanks for the PDF too ?

I had found the kit he offers for the install on eBay so will drop him a message tomorrow on your link, happy to pay the price and save him the seller fees ??
Thanks for the PDF too ?
Steve,

Forget the eBay approach. Just go direct using the contact details on the link provided earlier. He is expecting you as I primed him earlier.

Kind regards,

Tom

Have spoken with Bart, plan of action in place including updating the unit and repairing a minor issue :)

Thanks Tom for the contact

No problem at all Steve,

Kind regards,

Tom

Steve,

Have a chat with Bart at VAG Retrofits, let him know you’re a member of the A2OC and he will give you a discount. He will be able to also provide the GPS antenna and aerial adapter as a kit. Feel free to use the mobile number on the Contact Us page linked above, with text or WhatsApp.

Just let him know what head unit you currently have along with if you do or don’t have Bose.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hello all, I have started what I thought would be an easy fix, a I had acquired an RSNE which had been cut down and previously configured, the Climate unit was from a double DIN dash with curved corners. I did also have an Audi metal double DIN metal insert from the A2 but instead opted for the double DIN aftermarket cage as used and described in this post. Last week I run the GALA wire and the GPS puck, in readiness for the fit.
The scene was set, so I cut the cross member made the supporting bracket for the Climate unit, and then offered up the aftermarket cage to the RSNE, the basic shape fits however this is where it failed, the RSNE has two small metal tabs which protrude I assume they lock in to Audi Cage. I then thought I could two small cuts in the side of the dash which worked and it slotted in. The issue is it will not fit into the cage, I think I have two options.
  • Remove cut off the metal tabs from the RSNE which I am not the bestidea but may be a quick option.
  • Fit the Audi double DIN cage which I am not keen as it will probably be a dashboard out.
So the question is has anyone else tried aftermarket double DIN cage with and RSNE fit, the original post used an Android unit with no metal tabs.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Ray

Hello all, I have started what I thought would be an easy fix, a I had acquired an RSNE which had been cut down and previously configured, the Climate unit was from a double DIN dash with curved corners. I did also have an Audi metal double DIN metal insert from the A2 but instead opted for the double DIN aftermarket cage as used and described in this post. Last week I run the GALA wire and the GPS puck, in readiness for the fit.
The scene was set, so I cut the cross member made the supporting bracket for the Climate unit, and then offered up the aftermarket cage to the RSNE, the basic shape fits however this is where it failed, the RSNE has two small metal tabs which protrude I assume they lock in to Audi Cage. I then thought I could two small cuts in the side of the dash which worked and it slotted in. The issue is it will not fit into the cage, I think I have two options.
  • Remove cut off the metal tabs from the RSNE which I am not the bestidea but may be a quick option.
  • Fit the Audi double DIN cage which I am not keen as it will probably be a dashboard out.
So the question is has anyone else tried aftermarket double DIN cage with and RSNE fit, the original post used an Android unit with no metal tabs.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Ray
Morning Ray,

Congratulations on choosing a RNS-E, bonus that it’s already been trimmed to the correct size/shape.

The very best idea would be to remove the dashboard and swap the cages over. The double DIN cage isn’t a straight swap and you’ll have to modify it for perfect fitment. I’ve not personally done this myself my but beleive @Kleynie has and will be able to offer some advice.

I wouldn’t go for your easy option of removing the metal guides each side of the rear of the RNS-E and ‘making it fit’ your aftermarket cage. My first though is that it will limit your customer base should you ever come to sell this RNS-E. Maybe encasing the RNS-E with an aftermarket cage will not allow it to correctly Cool either, but this is just a guess. There are also the possibility that mounting the aftermarket cage may end up with the odd squeak which will just be annoying after you’ve completed the task.

Should you choose the better option… The dashboard removal is some 2 hours followed by a further 2 hours to refit it. Add on the time it will take to get the cages swapped over. It may seem like a long process but certainly not impossible as quite a few have done this in the past. Opting to use your double DIN cage really is the best OEM option.

There are plenty of members who have done this conversion and will be here to guide you through the process. Set aside a complete day and go for it.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Ray,

The metal tabs on the sides of the RNS-E unit slide into guide rails in the OEM double-DIN cage. They exist to support the weight of the RNS-E unit. Without these, the weight of the unit hinges entirely on the fascia. Aftermarket cages not only lack these guide rails, but also expect the plastic frame of the centre console, where the aftermarket cage attaches, to carry the whole weight of the head unit.

I'd normally recommend that RNS-E units are installed in legitimate double-DIN dashboards. If the target car doesn't have a double-DIN dash, this upgrade needs to be performed first. Of course, double-DIN dashboards aren't exactly available 'on tap', and their installation requires good familiarity with how the A2's interior in assembled. This process does, unfortunately, add significantly to the cost of an RNS-E upgrade.

The alternative method is to install a double-DIN metal cage in a single-DIN dash. This solution is definitely less elegant than a legitimate double-DIN dash, but is unquestionably a step up from an aftermarket cage. Unfortunately, it also requires the removal and reinstallation of the dashboard. Fitting the double-DIN cage to a single-DIN dash involves a lot more than just offering up the cage from behind and bolting it into place. The single-DIN dash will need to be carefully trimmed and drilled before the metal cage fits. Some additional anchoring will also need to be devised, as the single-DIN dash doesn't have many of the dedicated mounting points for the metal cage.

I've lost count of the number of double-DIN dashboard installations that I've had to 'rescue'. I've also seen plenty of dashboards that have been broken during the removal process. Where this particular upgrade is concerned, being brave and having a go yourself often leads to breakages and/or incorrect reinstallation. Whilst I've no desire to discourage DIY, I honestly believe that someone should have total familiarity with removing and reinstalling all other interior components of the A2 before they attempt a dashboard replacement. I urge caution simply because I love A2s and hate to see them damaged.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom has put it very elequently; i'll describe it with my valley's twang.....I took a double DIN dash out again yesterday (probably only my 5th removal) and its an absolute ball-ache!!

I'd recomend that anyone asks Tom to do theirs.

Tom has put it very elequently; i'll describe it with my valley's twang.....I took a double DIN dash out again yesterday (probably only my 5th removal) and its an absolute ball-ache!!

I'd recomend that anyone asks Tom to do theirs.
Sorry!!

I took a double DIN dash out again yesterday (probably only my 5th removal) and its an absolute ball-ache!!
How do you fancy reinstalling it; getting all those tabs engaged, all those metal brackets correctly aligned, all the looms ends in their correct place, all the bolts back in their rightful homes, the airbags correctly reinstalled, etc, etc, all without damaging the soft-touch coating on the dashboard or indeed any other interior panels...? Replacing a dashboard to factory standard is, to my mind, something you patiently work up to, not something you do with a rush of bravery.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
How do you fancy reinstalling it; getting all those tabs engaged, all those metal brackets correctly aligned, all the looms ends in their correct place, all the bolts back in their rightful homes, the airbags correctly reinstalled, etc, etc...? Replacing a dashboard to factory standard is, to my mind, something you patiently work up to, not something you do with a rush of bravery.

Cheers,

Tom

I can only imagine. There are a LOT of mounting points on the dashboard and is pretty firmly in place even with them attached.

No problem at all Steve,

Kind regards,

Tom

Steve,

Kind regards,

Tom

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Ray
Hi Ray,

The metal tabs on the sides of the RNS-E unit slide into guide rails in the OEM double-DIN cage. They exist to support the weight of the RNS-E unit. Without these, the weight of the unit hinges entirely on the fascia. Aftermarket cages not only lack these guide rails, but also expect the plastic frame of the centre console, where the aftermarket cage attaches, to carry the whole weight of the head unit.

I'd normally recommend that RNS-E units are installed in legitimate double-DIN dashboards. If the target car doesn't have a double-DIN dash, this upgrade needs to be performed first. Of course, double-DIN dashboards aren't exactly available 'on tap', and their installation requires good familiarity with how the A2's interior in assembled. This process does, unfortunately, add significantly to the cost of an RNS-E upgrade.

The alternative method is to install a double-DIN metal cage in a single-DIN dash. This solution is definitely less elegant than a legitimate double-DIN dash, but is unquestionably a step up from an aftermarket cage. Unfortunately, it also requires the removal and reinstallation of the dashboard. Fitting the double-DIN cage to a single-DIN dash involves a lot more than just offering up the cage from behind and bolting it into place. The single-DIN dash will need to be carefully trimmed and drilled before the metal cage fits. Some additional anchoring will also need to be devised, as the single-DIN dash doesn't have many of the dedicated mounting points for the metal cage.

I've lost count of the number of double-DIN dashboard installations that I've had to 'rescue'. I've also seen plenty of dashboards that have been broken during the removal process. Where this particular upgrade is concerned, being brave and having a go yourself often leads to breakages and/or incorrect reinstallation. Whilst I've no desire to discourage DIY, I honestly believe that someone should have total familiarity with removing and reinstalling all other interior components of the A2 before they attempt a dashboard replacement. I urge caution simply because I love A2s and hate to see them damaged.

Cheers,

Tom
Cheers guys thanks for the advice I will try and refit the original and perhaps I will need expert support from Tom and his fitting skills at some point in the future.
Thanks
Ray

No problem at all Steve,

Kind regards,

Tom

Just wanted to thank Tom @2work for the heads up of a great guy who can sort your RNS-E.

After speaking with Bart from VAG Retrofits I sent him my newly acquired unit for some TLC, initially to repair an eject issue with the DVD drive and then to update operating system and maps. Unfortunately upon receipt it was also found to have a faulty ribbon cable between the screen and unit so there was a flicker. Also the DVD drive had an unrepairable issue

Bart talked me through the options and I opted for the following
  • Replacement DVD Drive
  • Replacement Ribbon Cable
  • New application of UV coating on screen
  • PCBBC Software
  • Latest Maps
  • Quadlock Adapter
  • FM Antenna Adapter
Bart was extremely helpful, offered a quick service and is extremely fair on pricing, being very aware that the costs were racking up!

This unit had previously been prepared for an A2 dash, so with all these fixes/upgrades should be a great upgrade once fitted.

Picking up the double din dash from @A2Steve tomorrow ready for the install project to begin!

Back