Roof liner separating and how do I remove the centre roof liner section

PhilDotc

A2OC Donor
Hi there,

Today the rear quarter roof lining fabric on my solid roofed A2 has decided to separate from the backing as you can see in the picture below.

IMG_20210710_121725_hdr.jpg

Has anyone successfully glued this back to the backing and if so what did you use and did you clear the orange stuff off first? I suspect the orange stuff is just urethane foam backing that has degraded with age.

Also I think it would be easier to repair if I removed the centre section of the roof lining. How is the centre section of the roof lining removed?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi there,

Today the rear quarter roof lining fabric on my solid roofed A2 has decided to separate from the backing as you can see in the picture below.

View attachment 82748

Has anyone successfully glued this back to the backing and if so what did you use and did you clear the orange stuff off first? I suspect the orange stuff is just urethane foam backing that has degraded with age.

Also I think it would be easier to repair if I removed the centre section of the roof lining. How is the centre section of the roof lining removed?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
@2work or @Kleynie are the likely best sources of advice I’d suggest

You will need to clean off all the orange gunge, to stick the material to the liner. Then it will be a different level to the rest. I separated the outer liner from the centre panel using a dremel and cutting disc, because I recovered the centre in a different colour to the outer. Stuck it back in place with Gorilla superglue!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Mine was exactly like that this morning, just the opposite side though

Sent from the future

You will need to clean off all the orange gunge, to stick the material to the liner. Then it will be a different level to the rest. I separated the outer liner from the centre panel using a dremel and cutting disc, because I recovered the centre in a different colour to the outer. Stuck it back in place with Gorilla superglue!

So do I take it then that the whole roof liner comes off as one piece and it is glued to the metal roof? Sounds like quite a job then, getting it off without damaging the formers :(.

So do I take it then that the whole roof liner comes off as one piece and it is glued to the metal roof? Sounds like quite a job then, getting it off without damaging the formers :(.
The roof liner is not glued to the roof. It sits on the pillar trims and the door seal trims. Its a bit unwieldy to get out, but at least with the centre section has more strength than one for an OSS!

Exactly the same happened to me about 2 weeks ago.

I just used spray contact adhesive on the edge and tucked it back up with a trim tool to maintain the edge

This is a common problem on many older cars. The headliner material has a thin layer of foam which is stuck to the "shell" I guess this gives some sound deadening quality? As it ages/degrades it comes unstuck. High Temp spray glue may work if you remove all the foam. But it's a messy job and won't have a nice smooth finish of the original.

This is a thread dated 2021. Your observations are correct and more frequent hot summers wont help. Since then I have written up a How To for removing and reinserting the headliner. As you say, it's difficult to repair. I got mine professionally covered but there are a few members who have done it themselves, sometimes needing more that one attempt.

Back