SE Wheel Centre Caps

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
Anybody know a source for these where the 'chrome' ring does not break down?

99% of the centre caps I see are in shabby condition including the 4 I have.

I'd replace them if I thought that I could get some that would last.

I had new tyres on all four wheels this morning and one of the centre caps was broken and had been bodged back on. I popped in to Audi to get a wiper blade and managed to get a centre cap on order for £26 + VAT... should arrive next week!! ??

Discussing the. same with @depronman earlier today. Paul used to offer a great refurbishment service using his lathe and a technique to remove and renew the finish of the damaged aluminium rings. Unfortunately, due to a lack of interest he's had to withdrawn this service. Therefore I will also require yet another set from Audi...

I had SE wheels and tried to clean them up and refinish them a few times with chrome paint, contacted my local Audi dealer and they said I could order a new set for £120 for four.

In the end I bought a full set of mint 16' A1 Sport wheels and tyres for £120.

I bought a set of the ebay Chinese one's last year, to be honest the ones I got weren't to bad but I found they were impossible to fit.
On putting them side by side with an old set, the tangs on the back were slightly thicker so I filed each one down until they were the same as the old ones.
I then noticed that the metal ring on the tangs was slightly bigger and managed to squish it in the vice closing the gap and hence the circumference was now the same as the old one.
I then sprayed the caps with clear lacquer to give added protection and put them on the wheels, they have been on now for around 6 months and are still there.
It all sounds a bit of a faff and it is first time round but I would definitely buy from the same seller and I know it would not take me as long to fettle.

I bought a set of the ebay Chinese one's last year, to be honest the ones I got weren't to bad but I found they were impossible to fit.
On putting them side by side with an old set, the tangs on the back were slightly thicker so I filed each one down until they were the same as the old ones.
I then noticed that the metal ring on the tangs was slightly bigger and managed to squish it in the vice closing the gap and hence the circumference was now the same as the old one.
I then sprayed the caps with clear lacquer to give added protection and put them on the wheels, they have been on now for around 6 months and are still there.
It all sounds a bit of a faff and it is first time round but I would definitely buy from the same seller and I know it would not take me as long to fettle.
I found it to be exactly the same fettling and tweaking I suppose you get what you pay for ..?

I agree the dealer price is extortionate for a set of replacement centre caps but the cheap Chinese rubbish makes me feel physically sick and i couldn't and wouldn't ever put it on a car of mine.

The quality of the enginering we have in this country and the way we are making China rich for making and supplying inferior quality garbage i just can't condone or understand.

They are just slowly ruining the world in my eyes in every way and every purchase from Ali Express or whatever it's called is just adding to it!

I considered an eBay purchase but to be honest I just thought it would be a waste of money because there’s no guarantee they’ll fit... having worked for Audi for 4 years I was able to get a nice discount. If I’d of had the money I would have ordered all 4 at that price!

I did buy some 17" sport wheel centre caps from a chinese supplier on Ebay a while back. The tabs on the back broke easily when trying to fit them and they ended up in the bin.

Last edited:
I did buy some 17" sport wheel centre caps from a chinese supplier on Ebay a while back. The tabs on the back broke easily when trying to fit them and they ended up in the bin.
Sounds like the problem I had with one of mine which I think had been replaced with a Chinese copy before I acquired the car, the tabs holding the metal ring were so thin, the bottom had cracks along the join. There was always a gap and although it seemed secure it rattled about a bit so it it went in the bin.

Back