Second Boot Light

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hello,

I'm considering fitting a 12V socket in the boot soon, as a few others have done. Whilst I have parts of the boot disassembled however, I'd like to fit a second rear boot light to the right hand side of the boot, symmetrical to the existing light unit.

I've looked through parts diagrams and at the actual light itself, and neither show a normal 'VAG' part number for the light itself or the connector. Does anyone know the part numbers for these items or where I can get a second light and connector please?

Also, I plan on not going down the LED route for interior lights, and so will be using the filament type bulbs as fitted in the factory. As the boot light is controlled and powered through the CCCU, will there be any problems with effectively doubling the current draw when using filament bulbs?

Regards and many thanks,

Matt.

Tom fitted my second boot light and at that stage the bulbs were all "filament" type (standard) and no problems. The bulbs are low wattage anyway.

The difference is amazing (even if you don't go for the LED bulbs as I have) I just like the bright white illumination, but I can understand why you might want to keep the original look.

Steve B

Hi Matt,

The boot light is part number 4B0 947 415 A
The connector is part number 893 971 632
Unfortunately, I have no record of the necessary pins for the connector, though ETKA should tell you.

As far as I can tell, the CCCU is perfectly capable of supplying the extra current. I've added this option to a few cars and no issues have ever been reported, though I'd not push it beyond just one additional bulb without employing a relay.

I have a template that allows you to cut the rectangular hole in the right-hand-side boot trim such that it is perfectly symmetrically positioned. This may be of help to you. :)

With the boot trim out, there are three upgrades I usually do: 12V socket, additional boot light and second rear fog light.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you both. Much appreciated! :)

The difference is amazing (even if you don't go for the LED bulbs as I have) I just like the bright white illumination, but I can understand why you might want to keep the original look.

Indeed Steve, I find there to be a definite lack of light in the boot on dark nights, made worse by the single original light casting the shadows behind everything in the boot. Adding another should hopefully resolve this problem. For the cost of adding another, you would have thought Audi would have added two!

The boot light is part number 4B0 947 415 A
The connector is part number 893 971 632
Unfortunately, I have no record of the necessary pins for the connector, though ETKA should tell you.

As far as I can tell, the CCCU is perfectly capable of supplying the extra current. I've added this option to a few cars and no issues have ever been reported, though I'd not push it beyond just one additional bulb without employing a relay.

Thanks Tom, I'll take a look at the diagrams for the cable diameters and pinouts etc. As for the second rear fog light, I assume you just run a pair of cables across to the other side and run the bulbs in parallel, is this correct? EDIT: For the fog light, I've just checked and it seems you need to add a pin to the rear left light cluster connector, the correct wire repair kit for doing this should be 000 979 133 E, for future reference.

For the connector on the boot light, I assume they are available new from Audi, I don't suppose you have a current estimated cost for such item, please?

I have a template that allows you to cut the rectangular hole in the right-hand-side boot trim such that it is perfectly symmetrically positioned. This may be of help to you.

That sounds incredibly useful, thank you for the offer. I'd been looking this evening at how to cut the hole and hadn't even thought of the template option instead of using measurements. Do you think it would be easier to post it to me if I cover costs, or alternatively, if I made my own? I'm confident working with tools and materials for things like this. What are your thoughts? :)

Regards,

Matt.

Last edited:
Indeed Steve, I find there to be a definite lack of light in the boot on dark nights, made worse by the single original light casting the shadows behind everything in the boot. Adding another should hopefully resolve this problem. For the cost of adding another, you would have thought Audi would have added two

Yes, as soon as you put your arm in the boot, the shadow blacks out the whole boot. The second light is great, light from both sides means no significant shadows now.

Steve B

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on fitting both the second boot light and the 12V socket.

Thanks

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on fitting both the second boot light and the 12V socket.

Thanks
Hello, and thanks for your private message. I've had a busy few days, but will be replying to your message and others' tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tom

Back