Semi-serious idea for merchandise

Merlin3046

Given the A2’s early image as an architect’s car, surely the club should be offering black roll-neck sweaters (in a Steve Jobs stylee), embroidered with black thread on a black background. These polo shirts are a bit multi-chrome. Just a passing thought.

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
I thought you had to drive a Saab to be an architect at that time.........

Black on black is certainly subtle!

I’ve had a couple of old Saab’s great reliable cars when I worked in Sweden I had an old 99 with a canoe strapped on the roof loved it ..but I never wore a polo neck but I did wear an old helly Hansen fleece ...?..when I left Sweden I drove away in a brand new Saab 9000 as Sweden has one of the highest tax rates in the world on car tax I think at the time they loaded 180% .....I got tax free ? as I worked for Saab aircraft in linkoping

I always fancied the 900, I admit. Another understated modern classic. But the A2 is far, far better...
They did some great cars ahead of their time in there own way the 2 stroke was a flier ..did well in the early rally’s the other quick one was the water injected turbo ..the old Saab’s are a cheap classic ..but I have to agree the a2s are best ..I’ve just got our other new one up together they make a nice brace ? 1 36k and other 47k

Attachments

ScottLee

I had 2 900 turbos, great cars. I remember the boot was so big you could lie down in it. My favourite was my 16v coupe. Heated seats, full closure alarm the works. One of my favourite cars I have owned along with my A2. which is ironic as one was the size as a viking longboat and the A2 obviously a little smaller...

sciroccorrado

A2OC Donor
The 94s/96s also had free-wheeling hubs which were a very useful fuel saving device.

If I remember the early 90 turbos had horrendous turbo lag though, which made them interesting when overtaking. I don't know if they improved over time. Still a great car though. Unfortunately most of them will be rust nowadays. :(

Aluminium

A2OC Donor
I had an uncle who, in the 70s, had a fleet of SAAB 96s on his driveway - such a futuristic design, as a small kid I used to marvel at the whole design.

As Paul says, Erik Carlsson did amazing stuff in the 96s on rallies, he was nicknamed 'Carlsson on the roof' because I believe he once got a rally car on its roof.
He was also the godfather of left-foot braking which enabled him to carry huge speed through corners (those old two-stroke SAAB's weren't very powerful). He was also married to Pat Moss who was Sterling's sister.

Sorry for the thread-swerve...

A2's rock! ?

Last edited:

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
To show my age still further....
Saab 99 Turbo product placement in the video for ‘Don’t you want me Baby’ by the Human League!!!

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
ScottLee I am sure someone will come on here and confirm that they have indeed got a Viking longboat in the back of an A2 - possibly by taking the front seat out :)