Service Flap won’t stay closed.

BusBoyT2

Hi, service flap won’t stay shut and I can’t see how there is any sideways adjustment on the catch.
Is there any other way of adjusting it so it catches?
Thanks
Patrick

Hi, service flap won’t stay shut and I can’t see how there is any sideways adjustment on the catch.
Is there any other way of adjusting it so it catches?
Thanks
Patrick
The service flap has adjustment for reach only, sounds like your release pin is sticking. With the flap open, try pressing the release pin, it should move freely. It's fairly common for this to stick, I typically spray with penetrant and work the pin in and out. Best to lubricate once it is free.

Worth adding that to facilitate this I undid the two screws (front side) that lock the bowden cable end for the release pin in place behind - this could be then lifted out from behind the slam panel to give the area around the end a good clean (it was covered in sticky grime), and then apply some 3-in-1 while holding it upwards so the oil went in. Wiped down excess. When screwed back in place I then waggled the handle a few times and it seems to have done the trick. Best of luck!

Also make sure the grey knobs (that you'd twist to take the bonnet off) are at rest in vertical position so they will fit into the depressions in the flap, otherwise the flap will not close all the way, possibly preventing the catch to work as intended.
(Applies to at least the flat flap, not sure about the facelift one)

The catch on the flap has the reach or in / out adjustment. The lock is mounted by 2 screws that provide an amount of stroke or left / right adjustment. Make sure the lock is free to move and does reset when you release the handle. Then as @Robin_Cox has said give it a good cleaning. That is assuming the bonnet is correctly fitted first.

Back