Service flap won't open

A2Dreamer

A2OC Donor
I just went to open the service flap and the handle came off in my hand... skelped the skin off the top of my thumb on something to add insult to injury.

After clearing up what looked like the aftermath of a mafia hit, I've tried to actuate the bit that's left, but can't get the flap to pop open...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Pete

Try with two people. You pulling on the release and someone else gently pulling the flap.

If the flap was not fully locked the last time it was closed try firmly pressing the flap CLOSED first, then try to release it.

Has the handle just unclipped or has it broken?

Thanks, think the handle is broken..

Probably have to leave it until the weekend now as the Mrs is in the bath 🛁!! She won't take kindly to being dragged out into the cold, and I'm away for a few days now...

To open the flap from the outside, slide a screwdriver straight down from the top behind the flap, starting to the left of the middle as you look at it, and move it left until you contact the latch pin. Then keep pushing both left and outwards against the flap to get the slightly bulbous end of the pin past the sprung tongue that the cable is attached to.

Last edited:
Thanks @Proghound , lost the light now and away for a few days tomorrow, I'll attack it at the weekend..

Hopefully my thumb will have healed by then, the emotional scars might last a while though 🤣

As stated above a medium flathead screwdriver is the tool of choice, inserted to where the latch engages, then you gently lever the handle leftwards using the tip as the fulcrum to push the latch sideways. I find that gripping my fingertips around the right-hand edge of the flap and also pulling the lid bodily leftwards at the same time as the screwdriver action makes the cover release slightly less aggressively if that makes sense. Once released the first time, adjust the latch to the looser end of its range which makes getting tool and fingers in slightly easier.

Adjusting the latch must be done with care. If the flap is too loose the alarm button will not have enough depression on the plunger either causing false alarm or not allowing the alarm to set.

I have a permanent "emergency opening" modification on my service flap, just in case needed.

Looking at the Audi rings, the second from the left I have drilled a 6mm hole that allows a similar diameter Philips screwdriver to be pushed through. The taper of the screwdriver then gets behind the lock and retracts it enough to open the service flap.

The hole is just above the overlap of the first and second Audi ring. Even when you zoom in it is difficult to spot...

1651012811980.jpeg

Having told everyone how to steal your bonnet and other engine parts, you should also mention that you need to disable your 25kv anti-theft mechanism prior to removal Graham... ;)

I have a permanent "emergency opening" modification on my service flap, just in case needed.

Looking at the Audi rings, the second from the left I have drilled a 6mm hole that allows a similar diameter Philips screwdriver to be pushed through. The taper of the screwdriver then gets behind the lock and retracts it enough to open the service flap.

The hole is just above the overlap of the first and second Audi ring. Even when you zoom in it is difficult to spot...

The EXACT reason why I did not mention the additional protection.
Why am I thinking Magnavolt? :D

For anyone who doesnt know what this refers to please google :p

Edit: to avoid any confusion I'm quoting a spoof car anti theft product from the movie RoboCop 2. Alarming yet funny at the same time!

Last edited:
Not prepared to say as I am sure that somehow it would be MY fault if a low life were to be injured..... All I will say is I fitted this a few years ago when there was a spate of bonnets being pinched...

I just get hold of both sides of the Service Hatch and push it in the direction that takes it away from the Latch. That works !

To your left / drivers side ( I think, without going outside to check ! )

Steve U

Back