shower hopping

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Well, I had a spare couple of hours yesterday and it was a nice day so thought " I know I'll wash, clay, polish and gloss the car".

So, I wash it, and clay while it's still wet using the soapy water as the lubricant. Autoglym car shampoo, Meguiars claybar.

Literally 1 min after finishing the clay, a torrential spring shower hits! I duck for cover, and sit it out. About 10mins later, bright spring sunshine re-emerges.

So I wash it again, dry with chamois (I know some of you detail heads say a chamois is murdering my paint, but, hey, I needed it dry quickly). Get Autoglym Super Resin Polish out. Work fast, but it goes on easy so no problem. Leave to glaze. Start rubbing out with a microfibre cloth. Sky still seems clear. Gamble on...

... Autoglym Perfectionist Gloss. Slosh it into a clean cloth (old pair of Calvins!) and race over the body work (love putting this stuff on it goes on so quickly). Now the nervous wait - the minimum 20min set time, would prefer to go the whole 60mins, but, spy some nasty black clouds approaching.

Get out, it's been 21 mins. Rub down with another microfibre cloth, comes off easily. Just as I'm finishing the last panel, it starts raining, and I mean nasty - it's sleet, driving sleet!

I would have taken some pictures but there's no way I'm standing out in that filth! Anyway I think I was very lucky with the weather as it was.

Noticed a few things - the car REALLY needed the claybar. The bonnet especially was really very sticky when running the bar across, but soon got that off. Super Resin got a few black bumper marks off the front bumper, which was good. The 2x Autoglym treatment really brings the shine/sparkle back to the metallic paint and it was beading nicely in the rain! Also noticed just how badly my other half has kerbed my front left RS4 alloy, absolutely hideous! Won't win any prizes for detailing now... Next time it's sunny I'll get out with the touchup paint too as spotted a few chinks which would be good to go over.

All good fun.

Back