Side lamp ( LED change not Dim anymore)

well the side lamps was an issue for me dim, black bulbs from overheating...
Not anymore
i removed the lamp holder
then removed the clear plastic shroud that makes the lamp overheat just twists and pulled out
i cut the end off that shroud so the lamp is not enclosed anymore
fitted it back, fitted an led .... now Fabulous and bright
see pics
wheelxLEDXCameraz 026.JPG
wheelxLEDXCameraz 025.JPG
wheelxLEDXCameraz 027.JPG
wheelxLEDXCameraz 021.JPG
wheelxLEDXCameraz 020.JPG
wheelxLEDXCameraz 029.JPG

bulbs = ebay chinese ones got them in all 3 of my cars

Sweet!
Do the led bulbs fit into the sidelight holder without modification?
Did you buy 2 or get the 10 multibuy/multisave?

Usual reason for the sidelight diffuser shrouds scorching is the use of 5W bulbs against the factory fit 3W versions which are quite rare.
Most LED sidelight bulbs are under 3W so should not be a problem but check the length if you retain the diffusers
Almost sure the sidelights are not part of the Canbus bulb warning system so no real need for 'error free' bulbs

Cheers Spike

all correct there spike
but even the led ones get hot and ive had 1 fail so i thought mmmm ill teach them snip off the end !
sorted

Sweet!
Do the led bulbs fit into the sidelight holder without modification?
Did you buy 2 or get the 10 multibuy/multisave?
Yes i bought 10
No there too long fit better with the end chopped off ! and dont get hot...

When I bought mine I replace the front positions lights (fitted with incorrect 5W halogen bulbs) with a chinese led bulbs (5730 SMD I measured it at 1,5 W). I less than 1 month the bulbs start to flicker. So I bought a pair of Philips X-tremeUltinon LED W5W 4000K bulbs, no problems for almost 1 year and I measured the consumption at around 1,1-1,3W @ 14V. I also replace the license plate lights and the rear stop/position lights with Philips bulbs and everything works perfect and with virtually no heat

And how did you manage to unscrew the number plate lamp covers off without ruining to cross head screw. They are usually rusted in !

Interestingly, the parts diagrams show that 5W as well as 3W incandescents were originally specified (part 7 and alternates). Obviously LEDs have a significant advantage in terms of light output per W of power consumption - I wonder if the lower power original bulbs were specified later when it became clear that 5W were cooking the tubes?

I got my Osram W5Ws off Ebay - ie model number 2850CW-02B. There is also a slightly earlier version that is about 3 quid cheaper for a pair (9 quid instead of 12-13) with marginally lower brightness, but they are so much better than any original bulbs that either will do.

Back