sidelights have come on and won't go off?

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Always seems to be one step forward two back with my car...

I was fittting an aerial wire for a dab I eas installing into the centre console cubby and pulled through from the passenger side via a piece of stiff wire and almost immediately the lights turned on.

I couldn't turn them off indeed I even removed the light switch to make sure. I have had to disconnect the battery too avoid getting a flat battery.

Not sure what is behind the climate panel (indeed how do I remove the panel safely?) but it is like something had been unplugged or wrenched out.

It may also just be a coincidence as I'm not sure if there is anything behind the climate panel to do this.

Also assuming if the side light fuse had gone it would stop the lights working rather than stay on.

Any help appreciated... I'd almost finished wiring everything up as well and now I can't even drive the car :(

Last edited:
Strange, but you have done something. It is not clear the route your aerial wire is taking and I assume you mean cabin lights not headlights.

If you wish to remove the climate then the standard advice is ( really need a 'How To' for this ) start by opening ashtray. Empty cubby of junk and put both hands in and make fists exerting as much friction grip as possible on the cubby and pull the cubby out. It is held by two strong clips and once it is out a couple of inches it will be free but watch catching with ashtray. Now reach into the cubby void and get your fingers round the back of the climate and pull out. Even harder as the climate is held by 4 clips. Disconnect wiring connectors at rear once climate is out if you wish. Not easy.

Do not try levering either unit out from the front or you a will probably scratch/break the the front panels.

Andy

Not internal its the cars main sidelights.

I didn't even know there was anything to do with sidelight back there.

Aerial cable came via passenger side behind glovebox and up behind the area behind the gearstick cubby.

Thanks Andy got all that out no issues just couldn't work out the climate panel.

What could be behind the panel to cause this is the question

Last edited:
I think the headlight relay is in that area and it looks like you have disturbed it. Never had cause to remove it and cannot comment further but will do a search for you. - Andy

Thanks... fingers crossed is something simple but knowing me I've probably fine something that means the dash had to come out.

Oops. I had been clambering around and didn't notice the indicator stalk had been turned up the way. Schoolboy error.

Thanks all ... hopefully this is it but will go out again I a sec to confirm.

Oh and many thanks Andy hopefully don't need to use the info in the thread :)

Last edited:
Oops. I had been clambering around and didn't notice the indicator stalk had been turned up the way. Schoolboy error.

Thanks all ... hopefully this is it but will go out again I a sec to confirm.

??????? we’ve all been there many times , at least it was nothing serious ay.. your sills are on the way by the way..

Back