Sleeping in an A2

D

dha2

Has anyone any experience of this? My son's planning a road trip with his girlfriend.
Whilst on the face of it the A2 would seem to make an ideal camper for a couple of nights, having taken the rear seats out and folded the front seats down it doesn't look that practical.
Any advice gratefully received!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've slept in an A2 once before. I removed the rear seats and unbolted the front passenger seat. With a few bits and pieces to fill/bridge any gaps, there is enough space for one person to be able to sleep lengthways in an A2. You can then travel in the driver's seat and store any stuff in the space behind the driver's seat. So, with a bit of preparation and the right tools, the A2 can double as a one-person camper van. But for two people, I just don't see how it's possible unless both your son and his girlfriend are no more than 4-feet tall. The A2's boot without the rear seats fitted has a huge volume, but the floor area isn't big enough for a comfortable, restful night.

Cheers,

Tom

One thing that MIGHT have made it possible is if you could slide the front seats forward as far as they will go and then fully recline them, but I am pretty sure that they don't fully recline.

Shame the seats can't be modified to recline just a little bit further or you would have a full length flat area.

Steve B

One thing that MIGHT have made it possible is if you could slide the front seats forward as far as they will go and then fully recline them, but I am pretty sure that they don't fully recline.

Shame the seats can't be modified to recline just a little bit further or you would have a full length flat area.

Steve B

Unfortunately, it doesn't work out as you'd imagine. Believe me, I've tried. The back rest of an A2's front seat does recline all the way, but the point of articulation is much higher than you'd first imagine, meaning the back of the seat, albeit perfectly horizontal, is much higher than the seat base. Once horizontal, the seat back also cannot easily take the weight of a person, meaning some sort of support at the head rest end would need to be created. You'd then need to increase the height of the boot floor and the seat base in order to make a flat surface on which to sleep. It's not really viable.

Cheers,

Tom

Personally I would get a small inflatable tent and pitch it in a field somewhere or camp site - always lots of options :)

Or get one of these bad boys!
http://www.caranex.co.uk/

Never seen these before :D

Last edited:
Back