Soft touch .....again!

Ianth

A2OC Donor
Why is it such minor issues can drive you crazy?
My a2 realy is in superb condition and nicely speccd,but 2 little buttons are driving me crazy every time I get in the car,my eyes don't see the improvements I have made to enjoy a more modern feel visually from the drivers seat.
I am of course talking about the climate soft touch unit. The temp control and the off button ruin what is otherwise a nice place to be,so what options are available to remedy this apart from a new unit?
My options are further limited I suppose by it being double din with seat heating,I have been looking for a while on eBay etc without any luck.
My last a2 I used stickers on the buttons and must admit it looked worse and bodged so I don't want to go down that route.
does anyone know what other units use the same buttons,does the single din none heated seats use the same buttons?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My a2 realy is in superb condition and nicely speccd,but 2 little buttons are driving me crazy every time I get in the car,my eyes don't see the improvements I have made to enjoy a more modern feel visually from the drivers seat.
I am of course talking about the climate soft touch unit. The temp control and the off button ruin what is otherwise a nice place to be,so what options are available to remedy this apart from a new unit?
My options are further limited I suppose by it being double din with seat heating,I have been looking for a while on eBay etc without any luck.
My last a2 I used stickers on the buttons and must admit it looked worse and bodged so I don't want to go down that route.
does anyone know what other units use the same buttons,does the single din none heated seats use the same buttons?

Hi,

It is possible to fit the buttons from an early A4 and you will find some on eBay most days and at reasonable cost.

The buttons can be replaced in situ with no stripping down of your dash.

They are hard touch and so are a shade darker but if you replace all of the buttons it actually looks ok. 100 times better than worn buttons and 1000 times better than stickers.

I wrote a "how to" on replacing the buttons in situ.
repacing the worn Air con buttons without dismantling the dash

Steve B

Last edited:
That's good to know,do you mean the b5 or b6 model of a4,also are the buttons of a none heated seat version the same.

Found them..........b5 model.

Last edited:
That's good to know,do you mean the b5 or b6 model of a4,also are the buttons of a none heated seat version the same.

The buttons are the same I used the ones from a non-heated A4 on my wife's heated A2.

The colour difference is not so big in the flesh, the picture exagerates it slightly, but as I say much better than before and NOT soft touch any more and should last the life of the car!

The part number of the one I used was 8D0 820 043M (cost me £18 !!!)

Steve B

SAM_0138.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff,
I am still undecided at the moment wether the shading difference would get on my nerves as much as the worn buttons,but I will keep yours in mind.
Ian

Thanks Jeff,
I am still undecided at the moment wether the shading difference would get on my nerves as much as the worn buttons,but I will keep yours in mind.
Ian

If it helps I have recently changed the buttons on my soft touch unit for hard touch versions from an A4 as Steve describes. At the same time I changed my headlight switch for a hard touch one and (though it's a matter of personal preference) I actually prefer the look to having everything soft touch. It seems to "break things up a bit" and I prefer the feel of the buttons.

Can new soft touch buttons not be purchased from Audi anymore then?

Unfortunately the climate control buttons were never sold as seperate items.

A new climate control unit is very costly, but both soft-touch and the older hard-touch units are still available new from dealers.
It makes no difference to cost if a new unit is soft or hard touch buttons or if it's with or without the heated seat cut-outs.

£580 +VAT
£700 inc VAT
................:eek:

Unfortunately the climate control buttons were never sold as seperate items.

A new climate control unit is very costly, but both soft-touch and the older hard-touch units are still available new from dealers.
It makes no difference to cost if a new unit is soft or hard touch buttons or if it's with or without the heated seat cut-outs.

£580 +VAT
£700 inc VAT
................:eek:
Audi eh...What a bunch of jokers!

View attachment 23237
View attachment 23238

I may have a hard touch version for sale I was sold but the member hasn't got back in touch yet so if he doesn't want it do you want me to let you know?

I think there's a hard touch on eBay at the moment... £95. I've just had to get an oxygen sensor so have nabbed an average condition A4 unit to swap buttons over into my spare instead. Nice prize if you're prepared to pay though!

image.jpegI ended up buying a hard touch unit off eBay for £22 and just changed the buttons over,kind of getting used to the contrast now but it's taken a few weeks before my eyes aren't drawn to it as it looks so out of place!
Night time it's perfect as there's no irritating light bleed,so overall not perfect but for £22 not complaining :)

Did mine a few weeks ago, like you say, it is a nice change to see the red nice and crisp at night...electric window switches next if I can source some, do the A4 switches fit? Is there a part number for them? Thanks in advance....also, thinking of doing the headlight switches too.......the list goes on!!!

I am fortunate in that the rest of the switchgear is perfect so am able to leave them alone.

Did mine a few weeks ago, like you say, it is a nice change to see the red nice and crisp at night...electric window switches next if I can source some, do the A4 switches fit? Is there a part number for them? Thanks in advance....also, thinking of doing the headlight switches too.......the list goes on!!!

Prestige Auto Services have driver's side switches (twin) for approximately £35 genuine - mine arrived yesterday.

Broke the heated screen button with the child's paintbrush I was using. I'm going to have to buy another one! If this has happened to anyone else I would be happy to share one or more of my remaining buttons. Maybe if this has happened to someone else (with a different button), we could go halves on a new unit to avoid each having to buy a second A4 unit!

Back