SORN Process

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor
Last month, following the insurance claim, I attempted to register my crashed car as permanently off the road.

The section on the registration document gives the option of applying for the SORN status online so this was preferable to the second option of visiting the Post Office. Website looks clear, encouraging so far. Put in the 11-digit reference number which resulted in the message 'Visit the Post Office'.

Finally at the Post Office, I was given an acknowledgment for my SORN application. Thought this was all done and sat back waiting for my refund of the remaining 6 months tax.

Today a confusing letter from DVLA informing me that my 'SORN application has been unsuccessful'

and that I must visit the Post Office for the correct application form - !!

Definitely a frustrating process

Hilary

Hopefully this will be my only post in the 'Goodbye A2 section' :)

Reactions: chb
A friend had similar issues when he tried to tax a recently purchase used car that had been on a SORN for months. There seemed to be a massive time lag for info reaching different departments within DVLA resulting in a barrage of questions and conflicting info as each dept seemed to be doing their own thing.
Think the process should have been something like - apply for change of ownership, wait 2 weeks, apply to remove sorn, wait 2 weeks, apply for road tax.
Mixing direct contact with on-line form filling will no doubt add to the confusion.

Cheers Spike

If anyone finds themselves in this position, I'd recommend going straight to the Vehicle Enquiry dept at DVLA ( 0300 790 6802)

Hopefully that would avoid the loop I've just been in!

Discovered that as I had bought back the car from the insurance company, I have had to re-register it in my name to be able to inform them it has been scrapped. Was able to do this by phone but not online. Now I need to write a letter to inform DVLA that it has been scrapped and can request a tax refund. I'm wondering why I still have the log book in this confusing process?

Good news is that the six months tax refund will pay the tax on the TDI for two years!

Reactions: chb
Back