Space Saver spare

Hi all, I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. A few weeks ago I had a flat in the A2, drove 6 miles home on it totally flat as there was nowhere safe to leave the car. I was very careful and slow, and got home fine without going through to the rim. Anyway, today while picking up my replacement doors, the breaker threw in the spare when I asked for it. It looks unused, but it is flat? There are pictures on here of the same wheel, pumped and flat. Is it supplied flat and must be pumped up? All looks a bit strange to me. Thanks
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...AhUIAcAKHd7TBjgQ9QEIKzAA#imgrc=6yi8w2e2xXL0LM:

That is the space saver 'compact' wheel. It will inflate to a more aesthetically recognised wheel and tyre combination. Designed to minimise space used when stored.

PLEASE tie it down though, bungy straps or something, they are a heavy thing to go flying around in an accident.

Steve B

So I leave it flat until needed then pump it up? Sounds ok. I did buy a mini compressor a while ago. That may live in the A2 now. Thanks gents.

Yes, that is the way it works.

The A2 should have come with an air compressor in a rectangular box, is it missing???

Steve B

haha, no compressor in mine. It does have some dodgy gunk, that I believe in the event of a flat, I am supposed to squirt into the tire and then pray I can get home on it. Hence asking for the spare earlier.(I do feel better knowing it could have cost £90)

The gunk can only help with small punctures and the chances are it is well out of date and so the Spacesaver is a bonus.

You can contact members A2Steve and Sarge, they may well have one and it fits neatly into the opening in the battery tray.

Both members charge very fair prices.

Some other members may also have one, also at fair prices!! We are a friendly bunch as I am sure you know.

Steve B

Thanks Steve may well think about that. Will see if the one I bought fits in any way, if not I will look into the real item.

Regards
Russ

Ive got a battery clamp for the spare wheel available.

BMXs7lpfj7s.jpg
bbTq1wkrjq4.jpg

I think that may be KPH rather than MPH though. Worth checking just in case.
It is 50 MPH and 80 KPH
Steve B

Last edited:
I think the units are under the big 50, but my iPad resolution is insufficient to say for sure, maybe somebody else with higher resolution can make it out. I would say MPH. Google pictures of same wheel clearly show the other big number is 80 which kind of confirms it.

Andy

Yes.
That makes sense.
I would be very careful anyway and only use it for a short period.

But it is always good to get the facts. Cheers
Steve B

The little compressor that I have fitted into one of the spaces by the battery and I have strapped the wheel down using a strap. Feeling much better now. As for speed, well, I drove home at about less than 10mph so I didn't damage the rim. 50kph will be positively speedy in comparison. Thanks for all your help gents. I am adding my next challenge to the "Exterior" section.

If it's any help. Tesco's are currently selling Holts tyre weld for £3.50 a can. Really good addition to have in their boot of your car if you don't carry a spare.

Does anyone know the correct size space saver? They are selling some on eBay but I don’t think they are genuine. Also any part nos for battery camp ect. Cheers

Back