Spacer fitment to pepperpots

cheechy

A2OC Donor
So eventually got round to buying hub centric spacers @ 20mm to fit on the pepper pots as the recommended size.

I bought the type with pre attached studs so that the bolts are used to secure the spacer to the hub, and the studs and nuts supplied with the spacer secure the wheel to the spacer.

So I've read the rather vague instructions and it mentions to torque either the bolts or the studs at 85-95 lbs/ft....I'm guessing this is the spacer to the hub as I can't imagine you would want to toque the wheels up at this amount for fear of them working their way loose? ie I'm looking at 130 lb/s ft as per normal guidance.

Any thoughts from anyone / experience? Sorry first time I've used this kind of hub centric spacer before.

Attachments

• 20190522_132245-1612x1209.jpg
    20190522_132245-1612x1209.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 277
That is the trouble with so many different systems to measure torque. VERY easy to misread and either greatly over toque with a good chance of damage or not enough and may come loose. My pet hate is tyre pressures psi versus bar, have seen a tyre inflated to 3 bar instead of 30 psi. :eek:

Right pretty annoyed after much research but evidence clear. !95/55/r15 on 6j pepper pots on car lowered at the back by 30mm and 20mm spacers = rubbing on outside of tyre when car goes over larger camber or big bumps :(

.. and i thought 20mm was fairly conservative!

Looks like if it were the 185/60 I'd have been fine.

Question is do I have to buy again and aim for 15mm or wait until I fit new suspension at the back going away from coil overs onto weitec springs lowered to 25mm rather than 30?

Anyone else got the 20mm spacers fitted able to offer an opinion?

So eventually got round to buying hub centric spacers @ 20mm to fit on the pepper pots as the recommended size.

I bought the type with pre attached studs so that the bolts are used to secure the spacer to the hub, and the studs and nuts supplied with the spacer secure the wheel to the spacer.

So I've read the rather vague instructions and it mentions to torque either the bolts or the studs at 85-95 lbs/ft....I'm guessing this is the spacer to the hub as I can't imagine you would want to toque the wheels up at this amount for fear of them working their way loose? ie I'm looking at 130 lb/s ft as per normal guidance.

Any thoughts from anyone / experience? Sorry first time I've used this kind of hub centric spacer before.
could you post some pics when you have fitted the spacers on with the pepper pots fitted?, i'm looking into doing the same

Do they rub without the spacers? If you still need spacers you could always have a friendly machine shop mill the down for you.
Check the ultimate wheel and tyre guide to see what is possible, all the spacer does is change the ET.

No rubbing with the 5mm spacers that were fitted already . I was trying to rid the car of the "tucked in" look of the pepper pots and having done a fair bit of research came to the conclusion that 20mm would be the safe approach. :(

It looks like it's only a couple of mm out but it's enough for rubbing on the outside edge.

More expense now looking like I'll need to reinvest in 15mm spacers but it's an opportunity for someone with 185 wide tyres to get these off me cheaper!

Cost up replace with thinner spacers and having existing machined to a thickness you would be happy with. The 20mm threw the whole tyre outwards 20mm and it can be difficult to measure the clearances inside the wheel arches on flat and level, then allow for pot holes, speed bumps change of road angles etc. Sometimes as they say the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Another option is to modify the splash guards to give clearance. Thinking about it don't most others just use the pepper pots as winter wheels? Just a pitty you could not temporarily try three 5mm spacers mounted on one wheel to see if that clears the arch.

Here is another thought ( no wonder my head hurts today :p) try asking here if anyone can machine the spacers pretty sure there are owners with either their own lathe or access to one?

Here is the evidence....calculations say the wheel sticks out less to the outside by 24.1mm compared to the 17" sports so I can only assume the lowering has adjusted the camber.

Makes sense right? 20mm spacers leaves 4mm spare but no! :(

Attachments

• 20190522_190732-1512x2016.jpg
    20190522_190732-1512x2016.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 20190522_190738-1512x2016.jpg
    20190522_190738-1512x2016.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 302
Big oops - seems I made the assumption that OEM sport alloys are 7.5J but it looks like they are 7J so calls are out.

Given both are ET38 the pepper pots only go in by around 13mm - I might get away with 15mm but its also a gamble....

Anyone running spacers with pepper pots - your feedback would be appreciated.

Again refer to the definitive wheel and tyre guide , lots of info in there just be patient and work your way through it.

Yup thanks tbh I think I just used the wrong figure to start with which now explains a lot. I'll trawl through the wheel thread to see what people have been trying.

So bought 15mm spacers via Ebay from a well known alloy wheel seller, established for a number of years. They agreed that if the spacers didnt fit they would take them back.

Highly encouraged by the generous offer i purchased and fitted on Saturday. The good news is I got no rubbing so the fitment seems perfect. Bad news is that a crack on putting on the ns that I assumed was the spacer being forced into place was actually the hubcentric lip completely shearing off the spacer!

Glad I was in the testing frame of mind given I picked this up as soon as I returned from my short test drive. Chocolate is the word that comes to mind.

Took me an hour to get the spacer off the oem hub so I'm guessing it was made too small.

Anyway question is really around trusted brands or models of spacer to try next at 15mm. Given the thickness it wont be the bolt on type so longer 40mm bolts would be used to affix onto the hub through the spacer.

Pepperpots sit too far into the arch for me. Just trying to get the stance the same as stock 17" sports.

I get you maybe don't agree with spacers but in this case I'm not really trying to do anything but correct to stock look?

Last edited:
Pepperpots sit too far into the arch for me. Just trying to get the stance the same as stock 17" sports.
I get you maybe don't agree with spacers but in this case I'm not really trying to do anything but correct to stock look?
The Pepperpots are a narrower rim than your 17" sports and therefore should not stick out as far. Your 5mm spacers are pretty much ideal.

Sorry don't agree wider stance improves stability or at least it feels like it does.

Just really looking for a2 owners who have fitted spacers and have good experiences with brands.

Cheers

Very important when buying wheels and in this case spacers that the internal bore FITS the hub. What you are trying to achieve I can understand and if you have worked EVERYTHING out as above then you may get close to getting external look you want. Lots of owners mainly use the pepperpots for winter tyres which are narrow, you could fit slightly wider tyres without spacers and get a better look.

Back