Stay with grey or spray?

nick4tl

I picked up this wheel quite cheaply from Audi tradition. Not sure about the black airbag with grey bits on wheel though. I wonder could I spray it? Any thoughts?
8D77100F-7EBE-4DBD-B822-E3BE09F1CE03.jpeg

It’s sort of leather. If anyone had suggestions for how to color it black that would be great.

View attachment 93214

Hi Nick, I recently refurbished mine with this:

Degreased first with nail varnish remover, light sanding with 600 wet and dry, another degreasing and then applied the colourlock with the provided sponge and finished with a coating of 'Carrs Leather Oil'

It came up like brand new!!

30ml bottle, only used a small amount and also refinished the gearstick knob, gaiter and handbrake.

Many products out there to 'paint' a colour onto leather in a car environment. They are often water based with a built-in sealant, totally ok in use afterward, no colour transfer to damp/wet clothing etc. A colour change is entirely possible with them and, with the lack of rubbing that these parts of the wheel will get, it ought to last really well.
I've done a colour change on a pair of leather headrests and it was still good 11 years later. Similar products also available for vinyl.

The part to be painted doesn't need a abrading, just a good clean / degrease. Several light applications by sponge gives good results.

Small amounts of the correct colour can be had from eBay etc for sensible prices delivered.

Ooh I like the look of that, being a bit of a newbie I wasn’t aware that this was possible for an A2. Did they have anymore do you know?

Ooh I like the look of that, being a bit of a newbie I wasn’t aware that this was possible for an A2. Did they have anymore do you know?
it was €100 but I was already picking up some other bits and pieces so figured what the heck. https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/tradition/p/steering-wheel-z013276-7?search_term=steering+wheel

Airbag was €30 on ebay.
So I guess not that cheap really.

Could have got one that was already black for around €500 :)

Back