Stealth and Insurance

Richard_S

Hello everyone,

new member here. Have just bought an A2 03 1.4 TDI as a second car and have already fallen in love with it. Having found this forum am delighted to see that I will be having hours of pleasure modifying, tweaking and tuning this little number.

So first question of the day;

If one gets a Stealth tune, I am assuming that this requires the insurance company to be notified? Does anyone have any experience what this does to premiums if anything at all. I should put this into context; This is the wife's car, she insurers it and we are both just south of 50yrs old...

thanks for any advise as to the impact of mods on insurance, particularly this one.

Welcome!
Do post some pictures of your new purchase. Where in London are you?

To answer your question, "it depends" is probably the only real answer I can give. Some insurers will charge extra for a declared remap, others won't. Some will charge hugely, others won't. You could also take the view as to whether you felt inclined to declare it at all or not, given that it's almost impossible to detect the presence of a remap, but you'd have to wrestle with your conscience on that one.

For what it's worth, I'm insured with Adrian Flux and have declared all my mods and the premium for fully comp, living in London, is below £350. Shop around is the best advice!

My 'modified car' insurance from Adrian flux was actually cheaper than the renewal quote from my insurance company for a standard car. That included cover for things like the gearbox etc, not just the remap.

Been with Adrian flux for the passed couple of years all mods and this year they want twice as much so will be shopping around

Phil

Welcome!
Do post some pictures of your new purchase. Where in London are you?

Thanks Dan,

as soon as I get a chance will take some photos....It's a very "vanilla" car, in the sense that nothing has been done to it.... It now lives (as I do) in Tooting, so not too far from you! I bought it for the wifey for Christmas (damn why do I always get socks??) but my fingers are already itching to modify the car because of this forum; mapping, rear parking sensors, HIDs, RNS-E, leather sports seats....the list goes on, but I doubt the bank balance will appreciate and not that sure that the wife will either....But from reading posts here it seems that this could turn out to be a classic car in due course, so perhaps spending on the extras might not be such a waste of time....;)

That's some serious mod-affliction you've got there already - enjoy!
Pop round sometime. Another forum member Ashley is also in Richmond, he's also recently started modding the life out of his A2 as well, ha ha. This forum is an evil place :)

What happens to the Stealth Tune if you get the car serviced by Audi at a later date? Will they remap it back to factory defaults?

Even if the map does get erased somehow, I understand that Stealth will re-apply it for you free-of-charge. Ditto if the map needs to be removed for any reason (for example, changes to the MOT rules).

Indeed; Stealth save every unique map in a file with your car's registration. I doubt Audi dealerships have the ability to put a standard map back again.

I've had remaps to my last 3 Audis spanning 12 years of driving and quite a few services and not once has a garage, Audi main dealer or otherwise, spotted/ looked for/ investigated/ wiped/ re-flashed the ECU.

Excellent...Well I think that's going to be high on my list. Does fuel consumption increase or decrease with "standard" town driving?

I saw a slight improvement in mpg (mostly motorway driving, rather than town). But it depends on how disciplined you are ... if you use the extra power, you'll end up using more fuel.

That's some serious mod-affliction you've got there already - enjoy!
Pop round sometime. Another forum member Ashley is also in Richmond, he's also recently started modding the life out of his A2 as well, ha ha. This forum is an evil place :)

Looks like Dan's going to be the local Mod-father...

:)
J

When a dealer does a flash it only checks for updates or they are updating a specific item, so unless the dealer was replacing the ECU this will never be a problem (i know i've been doing electric steering updates on new A5's/6's). Adrian Flux wanted over £600 yes i've moved house but not far from where i was but on the comparason sites i'm looking at around and just under £300 and thats with mods declared

Phil

Just to resurrect this thread since it is renewal time again... Flux have quoted +10% on my renewal, so I am going to check around to see if I can find it cheaper before I sign on the dotted line. Any recommendations? I remember a broker advertising modified-car insurance on the forum a while ago, does anyone recall what they were called, and if they gave good quotes?

Sky Insurance (nothing to do with Mr. Murdoch) were advertising on the forum. When Adrian Flux quoted ~10% on my renewal, I gave Sky a call. They were much cheaper for the same deal terms. Adrian Flux then panicked and immediately offered me £180 off, so I remain with them.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/

Tom

Last edited:
Having had Stealth remap the wife's A2 a few months back we decided to come clean and admit it to the insurance company (LV= Frizzell). I finally called them today and they added it to the policy. I forgot to ask the extra cost, but the docs just arrived by email and there is no change to the £170 premium :)

A2mod2.jpgA2mod.jpg

John

Last edited:
Back