Steering Assist - No power steering

MHF

Hi Folks,

Having trouble with power steering on my A2 1.4 TDI 90 - No assistance except occasionally at 90 degree turning to the left a pulse of assistance can be felt and then goes.

Cannot access the steering assist module with diagnostics, is this normal?

No faults on instrument cluster. I can get data from the ABS/brake module for steering angle (has sensor on slip ring behind steering wheel, not on the rack), rate of change.

Steering fluid level - ok

Power wires to pump checked, inc fuses. Connections clean. 12v ignition feed to pump controller ok. Canbus appears ok for continuity.

Any ideas?

Ground cable behind left headlight in good condition and connected clean and secure to chassis?

I would have said power steering fluid is low but you have said it's ok. Have you removed the passenger side headlight and actually checked the level?

Yes, have checked the ground cable connection behind the lamp on chassis is good. Steering fluid, yes its on the mark and clean.

The pump has been changed by previous owner plus the rack.

I can't access the diagnostics control module called Steering Assist - is this something the diagnostics should talk to or is it in the brake control section? No faults relate to steering in what i can access.

Steering assist module not active on the A2.

Just perform a full VCDS scan and post the results.

The wiring plug on the power steering pump could be corroded and the main earth lead although looks good can still have failed under the insulation sheathing you need to test it with a meter and flex the cable as you do so.

Thank you re steering assist module not active on the A2.

Will have a closer look at the plug/wiring sheathing and re check codes and post results...

Back