Steering wheel restoration

Malcyb

145,000 miles had taken a bit of a toll on my steering wheel, however thanks to some great advice from @Jeetesh and some YouTube research (application of Dodo juice leather cleaner, some restorer, then a good wipe down with a chamois and hot water) it’s come out looking and feeling really good, the finish almost looks like new. However the one slight blemish is some wear across the top leaving a strip looking a bit faded, which I think no amount of cleaning will help. I was wondering whether there was anything that could be done with this, does anyone think black shoe polish would be a crazy idea? If my shoes looked like this it’s what I’d use.

Shoe polish comes off (ask me how I know :rolleyes: ), but a leather dye will be O.K.

Many are water based so you build them up by dabbing on with a bit of (washing up) sponge. Use the fact you're stippling it to blend around the area a bit. When it dries, don't be alarmed if it dries flat matt. With a steering wheel, just using it would probably gradually put a shine on the dyed area or if not then some leather food of the flavour of your choice. If the latter, be very careful to put on just a little and be very gentle otherwise you can pull the dye off again. Rest assured though, once it's all settled in, it'll do the job for years.

If it's actually worn you can buy leather filler. If it's overly softened you can get leather stabilisers.

Out of broader interest, I've used Dynamix in Ireland for all leather restoration products. They have a huge range of colours for most makes or failing that, will match to a sample. Not cheap but their dyes go a very long way and if blended sensibly as above can produce genuinely invisible repairs or refurbs.

Excellent suggestions.... as a start I think I might try the leather dye route, and only go down the advanced restoration course if it still looks like it could be usefully improved.

Just test whatever you get well out of sight: I thought I'd use some shoe dye and it looked like I'd filled it in with a Biro (badly)! What was meant to be black came out a shiny bluey black and then came off on my hands. I might as well have used a Sharpie :rolleyes:

Perhaps the key is the water based element? I bought my black dye from Dynamix years and years ago and it still works fine. Very useful for touching in side bolsters etc. I think they do a little bottle which is enough to do the steering wheel, handbrake and gearlever with plenty left over. Just store away from frost.

Just test whatever you get well out of sight: I thought I'd use some shoe dye and it looked like I'd filled it in with a Biro (badly)! What was meant to be black came out a shiny bluey black and then came off on my hands. I might as well have used a Sharpie :rolleyes:

Perhaps the key is the water based element? I bought my black dye from Dynamix years and years ago and it still works fine. Very useful for touching in side bolsters etc. I think they do a little bottle which is enough to do the steering wheel, handbrake and gearlever with plenty left over. Just store away from frost.

Thanks for the recommendation... however if I test it on somewhere out of sight I can’t see the results?. Maybe start with something slightly less precious like the handbrake handle?

Just get it re-trimmed?!

Attachments

• D00F7CB3-F0D1-44F0-BACA-11875B828760.jpeg
    D00F7CB3-F0D1-44F0-BACA-11875B828760.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 251
Thanks for the recommendation... however if I test it on somewhere out of sight I can’t see the results?. Maybe start with something slightly less precious like the handbrake handle?

You make an excellent point ?

Back